UK theme parks from another point of view!

sully1311
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:13 pm

Buschgardensfan wrote:
nacholover wrote:
I've been following this since the beginning and I just want to say thank-you to everyone for the updates and I think this is going to be the best ride at AT, maybe apart from Nemesis.

But recently how come no-one has taken a picture from the top of oblivion? I thought it would be a really good vantage point to take a nice overview shot of the ride and it's a shame that it hasn't been taken advantage of...

As far as I'm aware they don't let you take cameras on rides.

This is the reason why. Only Alton will take photos from here. (At least good ones anyway)

Peter Mcdonald 95
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:15 pm

Buschgardensfan wrote:
nacholover wrote:
I've been following this since the beginning and I just want to say thank-you to everyone for the updates and I think this is going to be the best ride at AT, maybe apart from Nemesis.

But recently how come no-one has taken a picture from the top of oblivion? I thought it would be a really good vantage point to take a nice overview shot of the ride and it's a shame that it hasn't been taken advantage of...

yep! i have seen them stop a train on 13 at the top of the lift hill to take the camera off someone!!

Katherine
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:19 pm

Instant Mix wrote:
Phild94 wrote:
Kathy wrote:
Phild94 wrote:
And now i suppose we can fully confirm there will be 14 inversions to the smiler :D what a record it is and what an effort it will be to be beaten..... certainly in such a manor as this..... I mean comparing this to the footprint of Colossus which has held the record for 11 years.......
(images taken from google maps and are both seen at the same scale )

One is slightly more zoomed in than the other.

Unaltered picture sizes and both taken at the same scale as of google maps :) so no they are the same scale :)

Look at the scale bars - you are incorrect as actually it looks like the zoom is higher on the smiler's page.. which actually enforces what you said, showing that the smiler is smaller even so than collosus

Oh yeah my bad, I looked at the bar on the side and it looks different on each

nacholover
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:24 pm

Buschgardensfan wrote:
nacholover wrote:

Yes I'm fully aware of this but people still manage to sneak cameras on to record POVs on youtube? so surely it must be easier to sneak on a camera for a quick pick at the top? if I were there (which I will be in the summer) I'd keep my phone in my pocket until the top then whip it out, take a quick pick and then hide it again, surely that's not too difficult?

sully1311
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:28 pm

nacholover wrote:
Buschgardensfan wrote:
nacholover wrote:

Yes I'm fully aware of this but people still manage to sneak cameras on to record POVs on youtube? so surely it must be easier to sneak on a camera for a quick pick at the top? if I were there (which I will be in the summer) I'd keep my phone in my pocket until the top then whip it out, take a quick pick and then hide it again, surely that's not too difficult?

Yep you could, but I'm pretty sure most people care about their phones/cameras then taking a risk with a photo.

JayJay90
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:55 pm

sully1311 wrote:
nacholover wrote:
Buschgardensfan wrote:
nacholover wrote:

Yep you could, but I'm pretty sure most people care about their phones/cameras then taking a risk with a photo.

I've seen blivvy be stopped at the top to take a phone from someone and you'll risk either dropping your phone and it seriously being of danger to yourself, others around you or other guests in the park. I for one definitely do not want a phone or camera dropping on my head from the height of oblivion! when they stop the ride it takes so long to get the ride up and running again and its rather selfish. If they don't stop the train, I can bet they'd probs punish you by asking you to leave?

aaaanyway, that turn back into the brake run looks so tight, i hope there's a bit of speed on that thing to pull some G's :D Its getting so exciting now and there's so much going on all over the site! Seems as though all hands are on deck!

How long do you think itll be before the trains get delivered to the site?
Last edited by JayJay90 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sully1311
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:01 pm

JayJay90 wrote:
sully1311 wrote:
nacholover wrote:
Buschgardensfan wrote:
nacholover wrote:

I've seen blivvy be stopped at the top to take a phone from someone and you'll risk either dropping your phone and it seriously being of danger to yourself, others around you or other guests in the park. I for one definitely do not want a phone or camera dropping on my head from the height of oblivion! when they stop the ride it takes so long to get the ride up and running again and its rather selfish. If they don't stop the train, I can bet they'd probs punish you by asking you to leave?

aaaanyway, that turn back into the brake run looks so tight, i hope there's a bit of speed on that thing to pull some G's :D Its getting so exciting now and there's so much going on all over the site! Seems as though all hands are on deck!

Honestly think it will be finished by this time next week so by next Thursday!(Hopefully!!)

cammyproductions
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:14 pm

sully1311 wrote:
JayJay90 wrote:
sully1311 wrote:
nacholover wrote:
Buschgardensfan wrote:
nacholover wrote:

Honestly think it will be finished by this time next week so by next Thursday!(Hopefully!!)

I agree! How far the ride has come between now and February is incredible. It just shows if they try there best they can do a lot of work in a short space of time i persanolly think that the 2 drops will be finished by the end of the week and hopefully the 5th leg, then like you say the main lift hill should be done for next Thursday which then gives them about 3 and a bit weeks to test it which i think they have to do 200 hours of, correct me if i'm wrong :P and whilst that is happening more theming will be added, all the paths cleaned and all the inside painted and decorated ready for the opening. It's definitely possible that the ride could open on the 18th may however, you can never be 100% sure . All i know is that Alton Towers will try their best to get it open for the 18th may and touch wood without any interruptions it will open on the 18th may:D
Bring on The Smiler in May! (Excuse my name i made this account a while back)

Alex.D
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:19 pm

If they don't get it open before May 30th, people will complain! The ride is speeding along now. Just wait for the testing to begin, if it doesn't crash and burn we should be fine. :P I really do hope that you carry a lot of speed into the final squashed corkscrew for the G's it could pull.
THE SWARM, oblivion,air,colossus.all epic.:D
^Made by Lewis97

SwEDEN
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:19 pm

Genrally hyperventilating whilst waiting for roodlesnouter's photo update!  :D :D :D
(To be fair I so look forward to everyone's photo updates, I want to say a MASSIVE thank you to everyone who has provided us with pictures during construction, you have all done a BRILLIANT job and we who can not make it up to Alton during construction want to thank you.) :)

JayJay90
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:25 pm

cammyproductions wrote:

I agree! How far the ride has come between now and February is incredible. It just shows if they try there best they can do a lot of work in a short space of time i persanolly think that the 2 drops will be finished by the end of the week and hopefully the 5th leg, then like you say the main lift hill should be done for next Thursday which then gives them about 3 and a bit weeks to test it which i think they have to do 200 hours of, correct me if i'm wrong :P and whilst that is happening more theming will be added, all the paths cleaned and all the inside painted and decorated ready for the opening. It's definitely possible that the ride could open on the 18th may however, you can never be 100% sure . All i know is that Alton Towers will try their best to get it open for the 18th may and touch wood without any interruptions it will open on the 18th may:D

Yeah if they aim at the 18th it will be good because they have a [near enough] two week window to play with. Whereas if they aimed at say 25th or 30th and they dont hit on time then its going to be very tight (not that it isnt already)

Personally i reckon they could get the drops finished by tomorrow! If the supports are already up all that needs to be done is place 4 bits of track in which from todays efforts show that that can be possible :)

Looking forward to roodles pictures :D

cammyproductions
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:30 pm

JayJay90 wrote:

Yeah if they aim at the 18th it will be good because they have a [near enough] two week window to play with. Whereas if they aimed at say 25th or 30th and they dont hit on time then its going to be very tight (not that it isnt already)

Personally i reckon they could get the drops finished by tomorrow! If the supports are already up all that needs to be done is place 4 bits of track in which from todays efforts show that that can be possible :)

Looking forward to roodles pictures :D

Your probably right, and neither can i! i keep refreshing the page to see if he's added them :roll: Thanks for the time and effort your putting in roodles :)
Bring on The Smiler in May! (Excuse my name i made this account a while back)

Roodlesnouter
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:37 pm

OK, so I hit the park after work today, it was a lovely sunny day and a lot was happening on the construction site. I took a 113 shots and have whittled them down to 36. Here we go.

Theming

More station piping fitted

Giggler leg gets some theming

For all of you worried about chipped paint and rust

Lift Hill

Lift Hill

Fins and things

Lift chain onsite, there are 4 boxes of it ready to go

Innoculator

water pipes being fitted?

Other

Electrics being fitted to track

Inside the shipping container, water pump?

Supports starting to get concreted im, I also saw floor being concreted.

Fencing, quite a lot of fencing is up around the ride areas.

And finally.........

A lot of track was installed in the short time I was there, the final bend and home straight are finished and they started the bottom of the drops.

The piece in the fore ground will be the first piece in tomorrow

Done, hope you all enjoyed.
Last edited by Roodlesnouter on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clayj
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:48 pm

Roodles... Well done & many thanks once again, especially as I won't be able to get to the park till July.

I've got to say, as a photographer, I love the contrast in this photo :D

Oh, and as a coaster geek, I love the complete mash up of track in this photo :D
Last edited by clayj on Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ

Kittykat1987
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:53 pm

I bet the builders feel like superstars being in all these photographs! I would feel so proud if I was getting to work on something like this. Imagine coming to work everyday and getting to build a rollercoaster!!  :D

I can't believe how much the construction has come on in such a short amount of time, it's looking fantastic!

youarecorrectsir
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:54 pm

Roodles... you hero. Incredible photos! You always manage to capture everything I want to see plus far many more interesting things! On behalf of everyone, THANK YOU!

And for the love of God... PLEASE no one quote his whole post!!!
"Everybody dies, but not everybody lives"

ReZourceman
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:57 pm

Is it now safe to assume that The Smiler is going to be the best rollercoaster in the world?

kevla
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:58 pm

Great pics man :D cheers

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:01 pm

I don't think they're water pipes on the spider thingy. They're just pretend cables.

Roodlesnouter
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:13 pm

haydn! wrote:
I don't think they're water pipes on the spider thingy. They're just pretend cables.

They were taking alot of time threading them through for them to be theming, Im pretty sure they were the real deal. I could be wrong of course. ;)