UK theme parks from another point of view!

Krazycoaster
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:04 pm

aldredd wrote:
Krazycoaster wrote:
clayj wrote:
Anyone every thought they (Gerst) could make a test carriage which is basically motor driven around the track with a safety envelope attached. I'm not talking a smiler train. Basically, something which canbe attached to the track, is powered by it's own motor, and used to measure the track. Gert could re-use on other coasters. Would make a pull through far quicker & easier.

Would also take ages to go through at about 1 mph as it would need a lot of momentum to drive itself through the track, so quite impractical  ;)

at 1mph, it would take about 10 mins  ;) - considerably faster than the existing process

Haha, oh yeah. I completely forgot about using maths when I typed that  ;)

Codmaster

Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:08 pm

Krazycoaster wrote:
aldredd wrote:
Krazycoaster wrote:
clayj wrote:
Anyone every thought they (Gerst) could make a test carriage which is basically motor driven around the track with a safety envelope attached. I'm not talking a smiler train. Basically, something which canbe attached to the track, is powered by it's own motor, and used to measure the track. Gert could re-use on other coasters. Would make a pull through far quicker & easier.

Would also take ages to go through at about 1 mph as it would need a lot of momentum to drive itself through the track, so quite impractical  ;)

at 1mph, it would take about 10 mins  ;) - considerably faster than the existing process

Haha, oh yeah. I completely forgot about using maths when I typed that  ;)

Not like it's very relevant, but for those that are interested, here's the maths:

Track length = 1170m
1mph = 0.447 M/s

1170 x 0.447
---------------  =  8.71

0.71 x 60 = 42.6

So a carrage traveling at a constent 1mph would take 8:41.60 to complete the track; I love maths :D
Last edited by Codmaster on Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:14 pm

upgraiden wrote:
Tom G wrote:
It's widely expected on the 18th now, given that the media day is confirmed for the 17th. Midweek opening would be better actually it would ease pressure on the first Saturday as we saw with The Swarm last year.

-Sent from a mobile phone-

The 18th is a Saturday.

Yes, I'm aware of that.

owenjohn
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:18 pm

Buschgardensfan wrote:
That inspection car, is it on Tatsu's track?! Cool. Also don't expect any guaranteed pipework updates today. I've fallen behind. Had something very important to take care of and I don't think I'll get it done before my internet cuts off. It might happen, might not, just saying don't assume that it's definitely going to be there.

Definately not tatsu. it's Silver Bullet At Knotts Berry farm,  I can't wait to see how they are going to achieve a pull through!

Sam198
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:23 pm

owenjohn wrote:
Buschgardensfan wrote:
That inspection car, is it on Tatsu's track?! Cool. Also don't expect any guaranteed pipework updates today. I've fallen behind. Had something very important to take care of and I don't think I'll get it done before my internet cuts off. It might happen, might not, just saying don't assume that it's definitely going to be there.

Definately not tatsu. it's Silver Bullet At Knotts Berry farm,  I can't wait to see how they are going to achieve a pull through!

Aha! That'll teach me to use abbreviations in my posts in future. It causes too much confusion. ;)

I'm still of the strong opinion that this new world's first concept won't be happening... I just don't see how it's relevant or practical to implement on this ride at this time.

owenjohn
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:40 pm

The best way to achieve the drop would be to us the same method Vekoma use on there boomerang coasters, and that is to  retract the chain away from the track. I think the is the most feasable method due to this coaster having two lifts, and I image the first lift will still require the usual anti roll back devices.

I don't feel the lift is going to do anything other than lift the train as intended.
Last edited by owenjohn on Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Superman
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:50 pm

I think its great BP have been os site following construction.. May I remind you that BP has a strong link with new rides at AT. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fm2BxTvPmo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQD9bw3c41w, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgkuzpzi5xQ. If they are following construction then its giving it a different view.

Roodlesnouter
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:04 pm

arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le? wrote:
I wonder when our next update will be aha. :D it will be so sad when the track is complete because then we will just have words to look at ( not that there not great but I will miss them aha ) I guess the station and queue line will be cool to look ;-) I'm getting far too excited... But to be honest that's not possible when it comes to this ride aha and just think in a couple of years or so! ( if that ) we will be speculating a new ride and this will be forgotten ;-) ( again if possible )

I will be back on park on Saturday so expect an update from me Saturday evening.
Last edited by Roodlesnouter on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

youarecorrectsir
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:10 pm

Superman wrote:
I think its great BP have been os site following construction.. May I remind you that BP has a strong link with new rides at AT. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fm2BxTvPmo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQD9bw3c41w, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgkuzpzi5xQ. If they are following construction then its giving it a different view.

I think these are awesome to be honest! The only shame is that they don't completely capture the theming and essence... which for me is 50%+ of the ride. Even so, decent coverage!
"Everybody dies, but not everybody lives"

Forza_Dan24
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:20 pm

On the topic of "the smiler construction part 2"  ;)
Do we have any indication or idea where the first lift hill is? I know it's probably the last thing to go in due to access, but we will need it on site first! :P
Smile. Always. :moj
Big thanks to lewis97 for the signature!

Sam198
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:42 pm

Indeed, can we put a stop to anything that may come across as back seat moderating once and for all please?

It can be interpreted as hostile and aggressive, and is simply unnecessary. We've said it before and we'll say it again... If you have a problem with a post, report it!

spin_doctor
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:44 pm

I noticed something today on the Smiler when I was stood near the X-Sector Sign looking up at the smiler. The support for the top of the vertical lift isnt straight. I mean, the support itself is straight but the plate bit that attached to the track is sligtly diagonal, im sure someone will find a photo to dissprove or confirm this. It confused me as surely it would be flst is the track was flat, but why would the track be banked at the highest point of the first lift? Unless it was for the track after the crest of the hill, but it is sloped the opposite way :/ hope this made sense.

Deejay
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:20 am

Would I be right in saying that the are only three bits of twisty track to go in? Im sure one of the inverted drops was extended from the bottom today?! Cant believe how close we are till its full circuit :) OMFG getting so exited!!

jamesc
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:52 am

Going back to the fins on the lift hill I see that rage at southend does not have them, so I think it is a new thing, but all will become clear soon we hope!

Credit to Adventure Island Guide for the photo above.
Last edited by jamesc on Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
As long as there is Imagination in the World, there will be bigger, better rides!

danhalen1985
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:00 am

SmileyMan
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:08 am

Its not a vertical launch. Its just a chain which speeds up at the beginning. :P

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:53 am

Maybe the fins are there as a fail safe as if it breaks down with the train halfway up it there is a lot of weight to hold there if it does. 16 guests plus the weight of the train is a lot for just a chain to hold there.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:58 am

danhalen1985 wrote:

How is that a launch in any way?

jayson2125
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:35 am

Found this:

Fins
Launch
Eurofighter

Look at 46 seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op9dHHyUuFk
Last edited by jayson2125 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Many many thanks to Lewis97 for my signature file.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:53 am

jayson2125 wrote:
Found this:

Fins
Launch
Eurofighter

Look at 46 seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op9dHHyUuFk

They're not the same as to what's found on The Smiler's vertical lift hill. I believe those ones on Takabisha are LSMs, whereas The Smiler's are just metal fins for eddy brakes, with the magnets being on the trains.