UK theme parks from another point of view!

aircanman
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:17 pm

Plus weird basket shaped things in the wooden hut down the bottom.

GigaSurimi
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:25 pm

Thanks a lot for these updates!
The first lift hill seems much much steeper than I was expecting! This coaster keeps on surprising me everytime I read this thread...  :O

JonoD
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:33 pm

All these talk about launches and the like... I've devised what I think is the most likely solution as to why we're seeing magnetic brakes rather than a mechanical anti-rollback: ease of evacuation.

With a roller coaster such as this, and being so twisted will make access to the lifts a logistical nightmare. It would be really difficult to get cherry pickers close to the lift hills to evacuate them (what with the 2nd lift being buried within the coaster's circuit and needing to clear crowds out of the way).

What would be an easy way around this? Use gravity. magnetic braking technology on coasters now is well established having been used on launched coasters for years. So instead of wasting all that time fiddling around with cherry pickers and such, why not simply let the train do a 'rollback' to set it on the horizontal? Reasons?:

-It's faster and easier. Instead of faffing around and getting riders off on the lift hills, simply let it roll back to the ground with brakes to slow it down and stop it. Release your passengers on the bottom on the horizontal. This would simplify and speed up the evacuation time enormously.

-It's safer for evacuation crews and riders. Much like the reasons above, rescuing people off the vertical lift would be an extremely precarious situation. There's no room for a cherry picker to come in and do the job, and the passengers are all lying on their backs. Why not eliminate this risk entirely by doing the rescue when the train is at the bottom where they can alight with minimal chance of danger from falling from a great height?

At least... that's what seems to be the most logical idea to me.
Last edited by JonoD on Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

owenjohn
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:46 pm

Codmaster wrote:
All very good points about the fins, but I think there may be a few misconceptions.

Firstly, the trains would not 'slam in to' the friction brakes. They are shaped so the ends are cut out like a V, therefore meaning that he train simply glides into them and stops, rather suddenly. But there is no impact.

Friction brakes stay closed with no power. Meaning that they close in the case of  any emergency, including a power cut. Likewise, the fin brakes stay out with no power, redundancy for power loss.

We have seen ratchets on the v-lift AS WELL as the fins, so I have no doubt that they will also be on the first lift, leading to there being no difference in noise at all, when compared to older Gerst's. There may be several explanations for this, such as; the channeling for the lift hills may be pre-fab sections, that Gerst just weld to the track, or that they haven't included the ratchet locking system on the bottom of the cars, and if this new system doesn't work then they will just modify the trains slightly to use the old system. Which would cut out weeks of delay whilst ratchet track was welded to both of the lifts.

I still think that there is far more too this than meets the eye, it all just doesn't add up!?

lewis97 wrote:
clayj wrote:
Sorry to mention the "F" word, but look at the section waiting to be installed...It has Fins lol...

And I can't seem to see any ratchet mechanism...

It's just an anti rollback system..... Ahahahaha

Well that turned out rather boring...

While I agree it does look like a new roll back precaution I have an issue with this picture. The channel for the chain is enclose, why would this be?. surely the channel should have a slight down the middle for the car to engage with the chain!!

owenjohn
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:48 pm

Buschgardensfan wrote:
What looks like two black plates along the middle of the track is the think the chain travels along. Can't remember the name.

The chain would be within the channel and not on top of it!

youarecorrectsir
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:55 pm

owenjohn wrote:
Codmaster wrote:
All very good points about the fins, but I think there may be a few misconceptions.

Firstly, the trains would not 'slam in to' the friction brakes. They are shaped so the ends are cut out like a V, therefore meaning that he train simply glides into them and stops, rather suddenly. But there is no impact.

Friction brakes stay closed with no power. Meaning that they close in the case of  any emergency, including a power cut. Likewise, the fin brakes stay out with no power, redundancy for power loss.

We have seen ratchets on the v-lift AS WELL as the fins, so I have no doubt that they will also be on the first lift, leading to there being no difference in noise at all, when compared to older Gerst's. There may be several explanations for this, such as; the channeling for the lift hills may be pre-fab sections, that Gerst just weld to the track, or that they haven't included the ratchet locking system on the bottom of the cars, and if this new system doesn't work then they will just modify the trains slightly to use the old system. Which would cut out weeks of delay whilst ratchet track was welded to both of the lifts.

I still think that there is far more too this than meets the eye, it all just doesn't add up!?

lewis97 wrote:
clayj wrote:
Sorry to mention the "F" word, but look at the section waiting to be installed...It has Fins lol...

While I agree it does look like a new roll back precaution I have an issue with this picture. The channel for the chain is enclose, why would this be?. surely the channel should have a slight down the middle for the car to engage with the chain!!

Its tough to see, but actually it IS there. The light in this photo is unfortunate, but if you look close enough you can see the channel. Look at the very tip of the hill and you can see where the opening is. The chain travels up within this channel and the gap is for connecting with the train!
"Everybody dies, but not everybody lives"

Andzdrew
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:15 pm

JonoD wrote:
All these talk about launches and the like... I've devised what I think is the most likely solution as to why we're seeing magnetic brakes rather than a mechanical anti-rollback: ease of evacuation.

With a roller coaster such as this, and being so twisted will make access to the lifts a logistical nightmare. It would be really difficult to get cherry pickers close to the lift hills to evacuate them (what with the 2nd lift being buried within the coaster's circuit and needing to clear crowds out of the way).

What would be an easy way around this? Use gravity. magnetic braking technology on coasters now is well established having been used on launched coasters for years. So instead of wasting all that time fiddling around with cherry pickers and such, why not simply let the train do a 'rollback' to set it on the horizontal? Reasons?:

-It's faster and easier. Instead of faffing around and getting riders off on the lift hills, simply let it roll back to the ground with brakes to slow it down and stop it. Release your passengers on the bottom on the horizontal. This would simplify and speed up the evacuation time enormously.

-It's safer for evacuation crews and riders. Much like the reasons above, rescuing people off the vertical lift would be an extremely precarious situation. There's no room for a cherry picker to come in and do the job, and the passengers are all lying on their backs. Why not eliminate this risk entirely by doing the rescue when the train is at the bottom where they can alight with minimal chance of danger from falling from a great height?

At least... that's what seems to be the most logical idea to me.

Whilst I agree entirely, there is no catwalk leading to vertical lift(no way for passengers to get off there), and there is an evacuation lift in place... If this had been designed how you see it, there would be catwalk and no evac lift. The reason they can't roll the train back if there is an emergency is the fact that by law everything has to stop dead, where it is, until people are off. Otherwise we would already see this rolling back down lift hill after a breakdown many years ago. I agree evac from vertical is a pain in the arse but by law that's what has to happen should the ride brakedown at that point

dazza4783
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:16 pm

owenjohn wrote:
Codmaster wrote:

lewis97 wrote:
clayj wrote:

It isn't enclosed, the chain just isn't in it yet. So what you can see that looks like the top of the channel is actually the bottom of it. When the chain is in you will be able to see it in the middle of that channel.

Andzdrew
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:24 pm

And at any rate, when rage broke down on horizontal they had to push the train onto the hill because that was the only safe and legal place they had to disembark passengers mid ride

richard.s
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:28 pm

andzdrew wrote:
And at any rate, when rage broke down on horizontal they had to push the train onto the hill because that was the only safe and legal place they had to disembark passengers mid ride

Haha I'm not sure legality comes into it.

Andzdrew
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:31 pm

richard.s wrote:
andzdrew wrote:

Haha I'm not sure legality comes into it.

Pretty sure passenger safety will be written into law, the evac method that is planned has to be followed

coastercrazy18
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:46 pm

Bexbunce wrote:
jbuckton18 wrote:
Anyone else think 'The Flasher' will also be used to take your picture for the ride ?

I personally think they will be inside where the first flash of lights are.
j

I havent really seen any camera instaled anywhere else so you could be right
its always good to go to the dentist so you can get a better smile :D

coastercrazy18
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:49 pm

This roller coaster is very interesting because there is something new added to the speculation every day lol
its always good to go to the dentist so you can get a better smile :D

JayJay90
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:53 pm

On site at the moment, it seems they're up painting the track and checking the bolts and lots of work around the station with the walls going up around the under section. There's a huuuuge smiler logo taped on the wall of where you return the station looking fab! Still no track lifted. The photo I uploaded earlier seemed to have that man scratching his head lol and it's still not moved.

Mesh fence is around the site now and photos are easier to take. The track comes soooo close to the queue line :D

They've also poured concrete  into the shed like building which I guess will be a footer for the hypnotiser :)

Adrenalinejunkie2013
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:56 pm

andzdrew wrote:

I can assure you it's not law that a train cannot be reversed to evac

aircanman
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:59 pm

Brave guy

aress
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:14 pm

Must be getting close now, if they're manually cleaning all the track! I cannot wait to see this bad boy go!!!  :D

Andzdrew
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:14 pm

The law will come into force with the emergency stop button, it will state that the ride has to stop within a second of this happening, it's an emergency after all. Once that happens the law will state that the ride cannot be turned back on until deemed safe. The idiot that breaks through the fence and starts climing the lift hill track doesn't want his head chopping off when the operator presses the stop button

SonicChips
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:20 pm

andzdrew wrote:
The law will come into force with the emergency stop button, it will state that the ride has to stop within a second of this happening, it's an emergency after all. Once that happens the law will state that the ride cannot be turned back on until deemed safe. The idiot that breaks through the fence and starts climing the lift hill track doesn't want his head chopping off when the operator presses the stop button

..... Unless it's an elaborate suicide attempt!  :shock:

Andzdrew
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:29 pm

All I'm saying is that once there's an emergency, the ride by law has to stop immediately, until deemed safe... Once deemed safe there's no need to evacuate anymore...