UK theme parks from another point of view!

aaron_stacey
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:34 pm

Krazycoaster wrote:
danwhit709 wrote:
Does anyone know why The Hypnotiser is going in this late?

They're waiting untill the track has been completed  :D

is it me or is this being asked everyday now lol

A
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:37 pm

Just chill... They'll get it in sooner or later, It's what they're payed to do.
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example :P

Andzdrew
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:38 pm

RobJackson85 wrote:
andzdrew wrote:
RobJackson85 wrote:
andzdrew wrote:
What's proved it is the fact that they went all out and cut into the roof... Only to now find out the pieces are misaligned by the same amount they cut into the roof, you're seriously not suggesting 99% of the track is 6 inch too high and the one price that was so low it had to cut the roof is the only correct piece?

Stop with the toilet roof thing. Your wrong. I'm sorry but you're just plain wrong.

So now they have to lift the piece off the roof to align with the rest of the track, how am I wrong?

It's a foot (12"/30cm) out at most. This happens in construction. Especially massive projects like this. Have you maybe thought the weight if the track is pulling it down?

How far away is the nearest support? It could be gravity causing it too sag.

This is my exact point! The track piece they are trying to connect to is about 6inch too low, the exact same amount that they chopped it into the toilet roof... If it's pure coincidence that it's the same amount and the chop in the toilet roof was intentional then I'll be damned!

Codmaster

Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:41 pm

And here we go again... I can see this turning into another "F" word debate!

Regardless of what has gone wrong, if anything at all, I have no doubt whatsoever that they'll sort it using winches and cranes, and won't have to resort to putting shims on the support, rebuilding that section of track, or remaking the price that doesn't fit. Every single project if this scale will have issues, as had been said by other people.

Nothing is to blame, as accidents happen, and material/land tolerances are more than expected. The important thing is that it WILL get sorted, and we will all forget about it by the time we ride!

Now chill, let's not start going around in circles again!

Andzdrew
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:48 pm

Codmaster wrote:
And here we go again... I can see this turning into another "F" word debate!

Regardless of what has gone wrong, if anything at all, I have no doubt whatsoever that they'll sort it using winches and cranes, and won't have to resort to putting shims on the support, rebuilding that section of track, or remaking the price that doesn't fit. Every single project if this scale will have issues, as had been said by other people.

Nothing is to blame, as accidents happen, and material/land tolerances are more than expected. The important thing is that it WILL get sorted, and we will all forget about it by the time we ride!

Now chill, let's not start going around in circles again!

You should know as well as me that they can't just pull this piece up(by this much), putting undue stress on the track without raising the supports to take that stress. Lets not argue about it but lets leave it with the fact that they couldn't have planned to chop the toilet roof, and now they find the bit that chopped into the roof is now too low to fit... Is a really ironic coincidence.
Last edited by Andzdrew on Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

owenjohn
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:58 pm

andzdrew wrote:
The vertical lift joined perfectly, but then again the footers were obviously correct for that piece... The bit that was so low it chopped the toilet block should have been higher all along

That really doesn't make sense , if the supports over the toilet where wrong they wouldn't have been able to connect the drop off the vertial lift.

aircanman
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:00 pm

Loads of the supports are just wedged in at the moment anyway so they have plenty to manoeuvre with, this is bound to happen in all fairness and im surprised we haven't seen it before.  This is like a big hot wheels set which doesn't want to go together. 

Altitude
TT Member
TT Member

^^ They can't demolish a quarter of the ride just like that... They'll have to order a new piece of track with a slightly different shape, and it'll be at Alton's expense.

Hitch
TT Member
TT Member

So lets just say they were forced to make the supports higher?  would this really take to long to do, remove the concrete from the footers and lift the track up a little with another crane and cram some stuff under where the supports would lie.

Andzdrew
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:04 pm

owenjohn wrote:
andzdrew wrote:
The vertical lift joined perfectly, but then again the footers were obviously correct for that piece... The bit that was so low it chopped the toilet block should have been higher all along

That really doesn't make sense , if the supports over the toilet where wrong they wouldn't have been able to connect the drop off the vertial lift.

These two curved sections above the toilet block don't share the same supports.

And in response to the time it will take to raise said supports it won't be long at all. It's just more of an embarrassment that they cut the toilet roof when it wasn't needed.

owenjohn
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:05 pm

Altitude wrote:
^^ They can't demolish a quarter of the ride just like that... They'll have to order a new piece of track with a slightly different shape, and it'll be at Alton's expense.

In what way will it be at Altons expense, they have commisioned a company to builf them a rollercoaster, Gerstleur will have done the survey. so if they miscalculated it's will be at there expense to put it right

Altitude
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:08 pm

^ Ah yes the contractor will pay the cost, but by 'expense', I meant it's a bum for them as they will be delayed even more and money will be lost.

aircanman
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:11 pm

andzdrew wrote:
owenjohn wrote:
andzdrew wrote:

And in response to the time it will take to raise said supports it won't be long at all. It's just more of an embarrassment that they cut the toilet roof when it wasn't needed.

Sorry, but who cares about the toilets?  - Its a china pan, which you pee in, it wouldn't bother me if they had to knock the damn thing down, it's not a miscalculation, this sort of thing happens.  Some of you need to take a step back as you are not all building contractors. 

Forza_Dan24
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:22 pm

Maybe the toilet block supports are to blame, or maybe they have nothing to do with it. To be honest we have no substantial evidence to prove either way, just a few photos (thanks to the people who uploaded) showing a piece of track that isn't lining up in various different positions.

I'm impressed that we haven't had more of these incidents considering the size and complexity of this ride, almost every other piece has gone in without any trouble that we know of. Precision engineering! :P
Smile. Always. :moj
Big thanks to lewis97 for the signature!

Andzdrew
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:32 pm

aircanman wrote:
andzdrew wrote:
owenjohn wrote:
andzdrew wrote:

Sorry, but who cares about the toilets?  - Its a china pan, which you pee in, it wouldn't bother me if they had to knock the damn thing down, it's not a miscalculation, this sort of thing happens.  Some of you need to take a step back as you are not all building contractors.

I don't give a damn about the toilets, they put a piece of track in and thought damn we're going to have to chop the roof, now it comes to joining up and they're thinking damn the pieces don't meet, I'm writing pure facts, when they lift the piece to fit you will see it no longer requires the chop in the roof, as originally designed (my opinion)

jknelhams
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:33 pm

The same happens on roller coasters the world over guys, chill out! They'll manhandle it about a bit and it will all fit.

M3tabolic
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:35 pm

The forum appears to be going circular again.

It will be fine. Have some faith.

Andzdrew
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:37 pm

Yes no one is arguing about wether or not they can fit these pieces together, they will sort it out and all will be fine, but it will turn out in the end that the cut in the toilet roof was never needed

astralAndy
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:40 pm

Can everyone chill out with all the telling everyone to chill out please! It's making me so un chilled out!

Just chill out!

...oh, hang on a minute...

;) :lol:

RollercoasterGEEK100
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:41 pm

astralAndy wrote:
Can everyone chill out with all the telling everyone to chill out please! It's making me so un chilled out!

Just chill out!

...oh, hang on a minute...

;) :lol:

We can chill because they will sort it out or they will force it into place.

Credit to NemesisRider