UK theme parks from another point of view!

Rollercoasters4Life
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:37 am

coastercrazy18 wrote:
Is it me or dos the frame to the secound drop look a bit slanted. Is it suppost to be like that?

Unsure to which support you mean as there is only one to me that looks slanted. The support in that bottom image that looks slanted is the one in front of the crane that has recently been put in for the last installed piece of the lift hill - but that could be the reason it is slanted as it hasn't been fully placed/set yet before they will concrete.
Last edited by Rollercoasters4Life on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheNigeC
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:38 am

Rollercoasters4Life wrote:
coastercrazy18 wrote:
Is it me or dos the frame to the secound drop look a bit slanted. Is it suppost to be like that?

Unsure to which support you mean as there is only one to me that looks slanted. The support in that bottom image that looks slanted is the one in front of the crane that has recently been put in for the last installed piece of the lift hill - but that could be the reason it is slanted as it hasn't been fully placed/set yet before they will concrete.

Angle of the picture perhaps?
Last edited by TheNigeC on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
I Could live on Nemesis! I want to travel the world visiting all the best Theme Parks!

FACEBOOK TWITTER INSTAGRAM [img]http://TUMBLR YOUTUBE

CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY PAGE ON FACEBOOK

The Psychoaster
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:44 am

JayJay90 wrote:
The second looks more of a corkscrew whereas the first looks more twisted to me

I'd say the second looks like a zero-G roll, whilst the first looks like a corkscrew.

If you take a closer look, there is a very definite up and down elevation change, exactly the kind of shaping that would induce zero gravity.

If you compare that to Wicked's (Zierer but the same track type) zero-G, it looks very similar.

Rollercoasters4Life
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:22 am

/\ I think you mean the first drop:

looks more like Zierer's, Wicked's Zero-G:

And the second one drop looks like a corkscrew with a longer/further pull out:

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:21 am

/\ I think you mean the first drop:

No he meant the first

Rollercoasters4Life
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:12 am

Thrillmad wrote:
/ I think you mean the first drop:

No he meant the first

What? Your comment makes no sense? He meant the first? That's what I put...

The Psychoaster
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:18 am

Thrillmad wrote:
/ I think you mean the first drop:

No he meant the first

What? Your comment makes no sense? He meant the first? That's what I put...

I meant what I said, the second drop looks more like a zero-G. The first drop doesn't have as large an elevation change which is what is needed for the zero-G sensation.

Ben-TT

Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:35 am

I'm going to do some moderating (gosh) - Can we please stop quoting posts which include lots of pictures? Possibly include 1 picture if it is relevant to what you are saying, but try to avoid quoting lots of pictures... just breaks the conversation up, and we wouldn't want that!
Thanks x

TomL
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:37 am

Two pictures courtesy of The Alton Towers Guide
The crane is up and there's only track left to lift.... I think we may see a special landmark reached today!

jbuckton18
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:39 am

I think the track is going to be easily completed by the end of this week and then testing by early next week ! Anyone agree ? Cant wait to see this going round for the first time in testing ! Get a real taste for what it's going to look like.
Last edited by jbuckton18 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some say they've seen angels, Ive seen The Smiler - That's enough

jbuckton18
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:44 am

That lift hill looks like it's going to be so high ! Look how steep it is !! Never really pictured the lift to be like that ! I'm impressed ! Even though i have a fear of heights ! :/ Bring It !
Last edited by jbuckton18 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Forza_Dan24
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:57 am

jbuckton18 wrote:
That lift hill looks like it's going to be so high ! Look how steep it is !! Never really pictured the lift to be like that ! I'm impressed ! Even though i have a fear of heights ! :/ Bring It !

We'll definitely have a nice amount of Gravitational Potential Energy to get us round the first section :D
Smile. Always. :moj
Big thanks to lewis97 for the signature!

RCT3Bross
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:58 am

jbuckton18 wrote:
I think the track is going to be easily completed by the end of this week and then testing by early next week ! Anyone agree ? Cant wait to see this going round for the first time in testing ! Get a real taste for what it's going to look like.

I prefer the track work done today or tomorrow. It's what 4 pieces? Come on, tight them to the crane and lift them in place already. I mean it's crucial that they finish the track as soon as possible, The chain needs to go in directly after that so they can finish the wire work and go over to testing the ride. That the marmaliser isn't working yet or needs some theming it will have nothing to do with the testing. They need to focus now on what is important and that is getting the ride ready/

jbuckton18
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:03 am

RCT3Bross wrote:
jbuckton18 wrote:

I prefer the track work done today or tomorrow. It's what 4 pieces? Come on, tight them to the crane and lift them in place already. I mean it's crucial that they finish the track as soon as possible, The chain needs to go in directly after that so they can finish the wire work and go over to testing the ride. That the marmaliser isn't working yet or needs some theming it will have nothing to do with the testing. They need to focus now on what is important and that is getting the ride ready/

No you are correct ! I just said  easily completed BY the end of the week .. Yeh only about 4 or 5 pieces left ! can easily be done in a couple of days :) However by the time next monday comes , they have to start testing really !

Fred_Delicious
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:12 am

Looks like they're putting catwalk up before completing the track. Also work on marmaliser and v lift going on

foleyshikari
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:35 am

Think it will still be early next week before we see any testing, little jobs still need doing like the chain on the lift hill, electrics probably still need to be wired and tested on the marmaliser, then obviously catwalks, lift itself and track needs to be cleaned before track can be tested on, unless it will be cleaned after?

Still think early next week with 3 weeks of testing we're looking at the May 18th opening day, so excited! I'll be there on June 3rd!

aldredd
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:18 pm

foleyshikari wrote:
Think it will still be early next week before we see any testing, little jobs still need doing like the chain on the lift hill, electrics probably still need to be wired and tested on the marmaliser, then obviously catwalks, lift itself and track needs to be cleaned before track can be tested on, unless it will be cleaned after?

Still think early next week with 3 weeks of testing we're looking at the May 18th opening day, so excited! I'll be there on June 3rd!

They've already begun touching up the paintwork, so cleaning won't be far behind if it's not already started - especially in raised areas.

Edited to add: Very jealous of everyone who will get to ride this monster in the coming months - it's likely to be next year before i get to go up to AT (one of the disadvantages of living in India, you see). Might be able to squeeze a visit in September/October, but seeing my 2nd child is due mid September, it's not looking good  8)
Last edited by aldredd on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lucieloo
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:45 pm

not sure if anyone has seen this but the sun website has the workers sitting on the track having their lunch. The article says the final bolt has gone in.!!! Its based on the iconic 1930's builders who sat above new york..
Worth a look..
First person ever to be proposed to on the Smiler! xxxxxx
And because of that I am now Mrs A....

Mattfat1
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:47 pm

aress
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:47 pm

Newspapers telling lies? Who'dve thunk it! Would love to see the last segments installed today, though! The first drop is looking like such a rush!