UK theme parks from another point of view!

JMR
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:21 pm

After watching this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GRBOxJ3vWYY I saw the disorientator noticed a youtube comment that explained it perfectly.

StaticVeins(youtube) wrote:
"The Disorientator" will be the indoor barrel roll featuring strobes and other effects. Note the screen says "carriage rotation", not "carriage rotationS" - the number is referring to degrees in a rotation, not how many rotations. The carriage will rotate once (the barrel roll) and the other effects will make it even more disorientating; hence the name :P

Gizmo
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:22 pm

roodlesnouter wrote:
Gizmo wrote:
Best post in a while! ;)

I love the images! I have to agree, that bracket does seem a bit random, haha!

Maybe for signage like in the game  ;)

I really wish the game would work on my phone :(
What's the signage in the game?

garfield3gs
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:28 pm

roodlesnouter wrote:
Gizmo wrote:
Best post in a while! ;)

wasthinking the same thing when i seen the pictures. as like in the game it could be the start of the big bracket that will hold the screens and the cctv style cameras!

thanks for the great pictures roodles!

JMR
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:33 pm

Gizmo wrote:
roodlesnouter wrote:
Gizmo wrote:
Best post in a while! ;)

I think they are referring to this:
Hope it helped  :)

[Source: screenshot I took from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4yRm3exx1g]

Gizmo
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:35 pm

JMR wrote:
Gizmo wrote:
roodlesnouter wrote:
Gizmo wrote:
Best post in a while! ;)

I think they are referring to this:
Hope it helped  :)

[Source: screenshot I took from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4yRm3exx1g]

Oh I seeeee! That would make sense, now that I've seen this. Thank yooou! :D

Javs
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:50 am

Thanks for the photo's as always Roodles. 

I absolutely love the theme of this coaster!  The marmaliser screen is such a great addition.  'Smile Detected' ! Amazing!

I am trying to work out why the frames for the feet themeing are coloured?!  Surely they are going to be clad over anyway.

Vladimir Bobinski
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:53 am

Jammydodger wrote:
Mapping technology is already being used much more closer to home too....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JUgeE1skTE

It may be a theme park but it's still being used for architectural purposes, it's hardly any different to what I was pointing out.

Rollercoasters4Life
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:04 am

Javs wrote:
I am trying to work out why the frames for the feet themeing are coloured?!  Surely they are going to be clad over anyway.

Yes the coloured frames are just that, frames. They will be covered over with the actual foot cladding. I am guessing they are colour coded so they know where they go relevant to the legs themselves.

Evostance
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:09 am

If this projection mapping business is on the actual rollercoaster itself, then theoretically Alton would be able to hide the track.

The could for instance project a star field into the room where the heart line is, and if they get it right, you wouldn't be able to see the track.

Obviously depending on what effects they use, they could make it seem as if your in freefall
Last edited by Evostance on Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kittykat1987
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:23 am

Thanks for the photographs roodlesnouter! They are amazing as always!  :D Glad to the see the thread is back to being about the construction again instead of the S.E stuff!

Looking at the photographs I think we are going to have one amazing coaster here! The lay out, the theming everything looks top class! Love it all!!  :D

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:37 am

Credit DanThorpe (dont know what program he used to make this) http://oi43.tinypic.com/rb0fpz.jpg

Found this image and was just wondering how many of us would of preferred it if the station building was actually like this, I mean this fits with the whole asylum/hospital backstory thing a lot more than what is currently constructed.

Love the detail with the whole CCTV systems too, I hope it's as good as this for real with the poles with 3 cameras all pointing in separate directions.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

Joshysqaushy
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:04 am

Mabalzich wrote:
Credit DanThorpe (dont know what program he used to make this) http://oi43.tinypic.com/rb0fpz.jpg

That's RCT3  :lol:
DONCASTER ADVENTURE PARKS NEW COASTER
TRAILER: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-R-f-2wp74
UPDATES: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=37998&start=40

aress
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:24 am

What will be the tallest point of the ride from the ground? Will it be over 100ft?

bbooth2
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:36 am

Evostance wrote:
If this projection mapping business is on the actual rollercoaster itself, the theoretically Alton would be able to hide the track.

The could for instance project a star field into the room where the heart line is, and if they get it right, you wouldn't be able to see the track.

Obviously depending on what effects they use, they could make it seem as if your in freefall

Oh dear, this idea is beyond brilliant, come out of the station and drop into the first banked corner, then enter an invisble barrel roll, cant think of anything else that would toy with your mind more than that!

jbuckton18
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:41 am

bbooth2 wrote:
Evostance wrote:
If this projection mapping business is on the actual rollercoaster itself, the theoretically Alton would be able to hide the track.

Oh dear, this idea is beyond brilliant, come out of the station and drop into the first banked corner, then enter an invisble barrel roll, cant think of anything else that would toy with your mind more than that!

It is a brilliant idea !
Some say they've seen angels, Ive seen The Smiler - That's enough

The Earl
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:06 am

I think the 3D projections will be inside the building and used to keep us entertained while queuing. I wouldn't expect anything on the indoor inversion other than maybe what we seen in the game.

bbooth2
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:16 am

its hard to tell realy isnt it :), i love abit of themeing on the first section of a ride, saw for example!, sets the mood and the use of themeing is brilliant, i realy hope something bizzare is goin on on the indoor section of the smiler, just to set the scene that something crazy is about to happen once you leave that building!

Wes
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:32 am

This 'Disorientator' is sounding really promising. I think we've all got a picture in our head of what to expect. Hopefully the indoor section will be taken very slowly and create a 'pre-show' for the ride.

Gax
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:41 am

Been following the construction for this the whole way though, it's been a pleasure! This ride looks incredible and something which I've been waiting for since joining this forum in 2004. There is true excitement (amongst some predictable negativity) for this ride which there just didn't seem to be with Rita and Thirteen. It truly is a beast! Cannot wait for testing to start and to see the area come together.

Evostance
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:42 am

The Earl wrote:
I think the 3D projections will be inside the building and used to keep us entertained while queuing. I wouldn't expect anything on the indoor inversion other than maybe what we seen in the game.

Probably for the speculation topic, however project mapping doesn't work like that.  You can't projection map onto normal walls, floors etc and then let people walk through it.  The shadows ruin the effect.  It needs to be perfectly mapped to static physical objects.

Which is why using it on a track (heartline) would work because the only thing moving is the entire train, which you can't see anyway because you're riding it