UK theme parks from another point of view!

 
torps235
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 29
Joined: August 2010

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:43 pm

You can't project onto track covered in black paint!!! Ridiculous idea
 
SonicChips
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 7
Joined: April 2013
Location: Manchester

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:47 pm

You wanna cover the track in this shizzle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD83dqSfC0Y

Don't bother going all practical on me now, peeps - it's a supposition and I'm not realistically suggesting it will be done!

Still - it'd frighten the monkeys out of many folk if the track (or train) were to be coated in this.
 
User avatar
Mattfat1
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 53
Joined: October 2012
Location: Lincoln

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:55 pm

Damn just beat me too it.

If the track was white when it went in we would be sure to have the track projected on, but it isn't. (how good would have speculation been over the last few months if they installed a small section of white track underground)

I'm very exited to see whats going to happen now, think we have found another place for some of this £18million to be spent on... The possibilities are endless, maybe even have 4/5 different projections that vary for each train!
 
User avatar
Evostance
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 535
Joined: January 2005

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:56 pm

torps235 wrote:
You can't project onto track covered in black paint!!! Ridiculous idea


Of course you can, I've done it myself.  There is a difference in the brightness obviously, but if the entire room is black then it wouldn't make a difference

A 2000 lumen projector will work perfectly
Last edited by Evostance on Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
Andzdrew
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 9
Joined: December 2012
Location: Leicester, UK
Contact:

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:38 pm

It'll be the walls that are projected onto if it's going to be done
 
User avatar
Evostance
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 535
Joined: January 2005

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:39 pm

I feel a bit guilty of derailing the construction thread.

Speculation about projectors etc over here:
http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/the-smil ... tion/1725/
 
User avatar
lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP
Posts: 4351
Joined: November 2012
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:57 pm

Although not specifically predicting the projectors, I said this on the 4th January:

Some ideas for you;
Could the indoor part of the ride give the illusion of certain elements, such as a beyond vertical drop, or multiple inversions, without actually doing them?


Perhaps that idea wasn't as random and unfeasible as I originally thought.

Also, are there any photos from what's been going on onsite today?
Image
 
User avatar
Danscott22
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 9
Joined: January 2013
Location: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:15 pm

The Alton Towers Guide says nothing is going on apart from groundworks today^^
 
User avatar
Danny
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 2500
Joined: February 2013
Location: Essex

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:17 pm

Danscott22 wrote:
The Alton Towers Guide says nothing is going on apart from groundworks today^^

Well, as far as the eye can see  ;)
 
User avatar
ollboll9
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 110
Joined: February 2013

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:31 pm

Do they not need to concrete footers and stuff like the chain for the 1st lift (not sure if it's in or not) so we can start testing :D :D???
Poop. Always
 
User avatar
MatthewR1990
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 215
Joined: May 2012
Location: West Bromwich

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:55 pm

ollboll9 wrote:
Do they not need to concrete footers and stuff like the chain for the 1st lift (not sure if it's in or not) so we can start testing :D :D???


They also need to check all bolts and supports. As well as fixing the supports that currently don't fit. I wouldn't expect any testing until next week now.
Image
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
 
User avatar
N3m3s1s
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 191
Joined: March 2012

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:00 pm

I read a comment on youtube, and I totally agree:

StaticVeins:
"The Disorientator" will be the indoor barrel roll featuring strobes and other effects. Note the screen says "carriage rotation", not "carriage rotationS" - the number is referring to degrees in a rotation, not how many rotations. The carriage will rotate once (the barrel roll) and the other effects will make it even more disorientating; hence the name :P

Couldn't sum it up better in my opinion!
 
Owen
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 3014
Joined: March 2012
Location: Stoke-on-Trent

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:04 pm

N3m3s1s wrote:
I read a comment on youtube, and I totally agree:

StaticVeins:
"The Disorientator" will be the indoor barrel roll featuring strobes and other effects. Note the screen says "carriage rotation", not "carriage rotationS" - the number is referring to degrees in a rotation, not how many rotations. The carriage will rotate once (the barrel roll) and the other effects will make it even more disorientating; hence the name :P

Couldn't sum it up better in my opinion!

Hasn't this been posted before
Image
 
User avatar
Rollercoasters4Life
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 114
Joined: June 2011
Location: Crewe, Cheshire

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:05 pm

Thrillmad wrote:
N3m3s1s wrote:
I read a comment on youtube, and I totally agree:

StaticVeins:
"The Disorientator" will be the indoor barrel roll featuring strobes and other effects. Note the screen says "carriage rotation", not "carriage rotationS" - the number is referring to degrees in a rotation, not how many rotations. The carriage will rotate once (the barrel roll) and the other effects will make it even more disorientating; hence the name :P

Couldn't sum it up better in my opinion!


Hasn't this been posted before


Yes along with what I originally put on here before that comment appeared on Youtube:

Rollercoasters4Life wrote:
My thoughts on 'The Disorientator'

The screen goes up from 0 to 360 - I'm guessing that is the number it stops at and restarts from 0. The word below it is 'Rotation' (meaning one) not 'Rotations' (meaning multiple rotations). So a 360 rotation (complete circle) is a Barrel roll like we have indoors. Then the word Strobes is on the screen meaning strobe lighting.

So basically, to me it just means strobe lighting while going down the first drop and through the first barrel roll indoors and they have named that section 'The Disorientator'. None of this 'washing machine' element.

I do believe however, there will be a little pre-show on the straight track after the first barrel roll and before the first lift hill.


Seems like someone thinks like me, or someone saw what I put then agreed and put it on that video! :P
Image
 
gouldy
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 9
Joined: February 2013

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:25 pm

Rollercoasters4Life wrote:
Thrillmad wrote:
N3m3s1s wrote:
I read a comment on youtube, and I totally agree:

StaticVeins:
"The Disorientator" will be the indoor barrel roll featuring strobes and other effects. Note the screen says "carriage rotation", not "carriage rotationS" - the number is referring to degrees in a rotation, not how many rotations. The carriage will rotate once (the barrel roll) and the other effects will make it even more disorientating; hence the name :P

Couldn't sum it up better in my opinion!


Hasn't this been posted before


Yes along with what I originally put on here before that comment appeared on Youtube:

Rollercoasters4Life wrote:
My thoughts on 'The Disorientator'

The screen goes up from 0 to 360 - I'm guessing that is the number it stops at and restarts from 0. The word below it is 'Rotation' (meaning one) not 'Rotations' (meaning multiple rotations). So a 360 rotation (complete circle) is a Barrel roll like we have indoors. Then the word Strobes is on the screen meaning strobe lighting.

So basically, to me it just means strobe lighting while going down the first drop and through the first barrel roll indoors and they have named that section 'The Disorientator'. None of this 'washing machine' element.

I do believe however, there will be a little pre-show on the straight track after the first barrel roll and before the first lift hill.


Seems like someone thinks like me, or someone saw what I put then agreed and put it on that video! :P



I must admit, I have, myself, quoted what you said on the subject on another website.  It seemed to me that you'd hit the nail on the head and quite eloquently, too - so I just quoted you ;)
 
User avatar
N3m3s1s
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 191
Joined: March 2012

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:26 pm

Sorry, didn't realise! Still an extremely valid point. :moj
 
Vladimir Bobinski
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 245
Joined: September 2011
Location: Warwickshire

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:51 pm

aress wrote:
What will be the tallest point of the ride from the ground? Will it be over 100ft?


Same height as the tallest point of oblivion if you use the same measuring point.
 
User avatar
Phild94
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 366
Joined: December 2012
Location: Newcastle under Lyme

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:01 pm

Vladimir Bobinski wrote:
aress wrote:
What will be the tallest point of the ride from the ground? Will it be over 100ft?


Same height as the tallest point of oblivion if you use the same measuring point.


Both lift hills reach a height of 72ft if memory serves me right (which would be a minor miracle XD)

Also was on park today.... Barely anything happened whilst I was there so there wasn't much point in taking photos of everything we already know and clog up the forum with far far FAR too many pics of nothing XD.... A bit of painting on the station.... That was it really... :/ the place seemed a little dead.... On the plus side all ride times were at 0/5minutes all day :D
Last edited by Phild94 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
 
User avatar
clayj
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 224
Joined: October 2012
Location: Belfast but Newcastle originally

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:03 pm

roodlesnouter wrote:
Image


I don't know if there is anyone else on here who also has an electronical background but why are they using IP rated doubled sockets to wire up the flasher's lights ?? They would have been far better & neater using a couple of PVC adaptable boxes containing the nesecery connections. Even if they are using RCD protected sockets, this could easily be achieved neater inside an adabtable box.

roodlesnouter wrote:
Image


I can see what they are doing here... Creating overlapping images of the smiler logo... One which will only be seen by riders which go into the breakrun from final turn around (or possibly toilet block) as they are painting te different logos on different sides of the corrugated panels.
Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ
 
User avatar
TheOutpatient
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 373
Joined: March 2013
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:12 pm

clayj wrote:
roodlesnouter wrote:
Image


I don't know if there is anyone else on here who also has an electronical background but why are they using IP rated doubled sockets to wire up the flasher's lights ?? They would have been far better & neater using a couple of PVC adaptable boxes containing the nesecery connections. Even if they are using RCD protected sockets, this could easily be achieved neater inside an adabtable box.

roodlesnouter wrote:
Image



Would those be batteries in the picture which store electricity from the solar panels which leads to the situation you described? (sorry, not a sparky)
Image
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests