UK theme parks from another point of view!

JayJay90
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:33 pm

Adrenalinejunkie2013 wrote:
I really don't want disappoint all of you but this ride isn't opening until the very end of may, so please stop making dates up in your head and getting every1 excited and hopes up just to be disappointed

I know this is the wrong place for it and needs to be in speculation/marketing topic but I just wanted to back up the fact I'm in no way confirming any opening day at all. I was merely showing the math to a post to show it wasn't possible and gave a much more likely opening date which was toward the end of may.

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:
There still a lot of work to be done and none of us know how well there getting on with the station area and shop.

I have to say, it does look like theyre really concentrating on the station the last few weeks. Everytime I've visited there's been something new there. The painting of the side looks fab and I think Matthew1990 was right in saying the other logo on the maintainance shed does look a like little illusion where you have to see it from a certain angle in order to see the proper intended image.

Adrenalinejunkie2013
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:47 pm

JayJay90 wrote:
I really don't want disappoint all of you but this ride isn't opening until the very end of may, so please stop making dates up in your head and getting every1 excited and hopes up just to be disappointed

I know this is the wrong place for it and needs to be in speculation/marketing topic but I just wanted to back up the fact I'm in no way confirming any opening day at all. I was merely showing the math to a post to show it wasn't possible and gave a much more likely opening date which was toward the end of may.

There still a lot of work to be done and none of us know how well there getting on with the station area and shop.

I have to say, it does look like theyre really concentrating on the station the last few weeks. Everytime I've visited there's been something new there. The painting of the side looks fab and I think Matthew1990 was right in saying the other logo on the maintainance shed does look a like little illusion where you have to see it from a certain angle in order to see the proper intended image.

No1 actually knows the opening date but let's put it this way 200 hours needs to be done before anyone going on, then ride hosts need to do there training with people which will be the towers staff, loads of work still needs to be done, for example chain lift, footers concreted, supports fixed and torqued, that's even before testing can commence, so testing will defo not be started within the next 3 days. I'm not trying to argue with anyone but it just winds me up when people make dates up or speculate early opening dates when it's just a guess, with all this taken into consideration 31st may is a more realistic date

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:56 pm

[/quote]

I mean the inside not the outside. A train maybe isn't even on the track yet. As I guess with all theses fan sites at least 1 of them will have seen it put on the track.

The Psychoaster
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:56 pm

JayJay90 wrote:

No1 actually knows the opening date but let's put it this way 200 hours needs to be done before anyone going on, then ride hosts need to do there training with people which will be the towers staff, loads of work still needs to be done, for example chain lift, footers concreted, supports fixed and torqued, that's even before testing can commence, so testing will defo not be started within the next 3 days. I'm not trying to argue with anyone but it just winds me up when people make dates up or speculate early opening dates when it's just a guess, with all this taken into consideration 31st may is a more realistic date

It annoys you when people speculate opening dates when it's just a guess...then you consequently make a guess right after that? Also, I believe that the ride ops have already had pre-training on SAW so as to reduce the amount of time they'll need to do on this.

owenjohn
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:16 pm

aircanman wrote:
Noticed someone mentioning the wiring for the strobe system. This will almost certainly be set up using DMX lighting. Which consists of a hardware or software controller, mains power and DMX cables which are basically microphone cables with three terminals.  So expect these basic connectors to be used in the strobe effects.

I would be very suprised if they used strobes on the indoor section purley for health & safety reasons. Would they really want to risk someone having a fit whilst on the ride?

Hitch
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:20 pm

owenjohn wrote:
aircanman wrote:
Noticed someone mentioning the wiring for the strobe system. This will almost certainly be set up using DMX lighting. Which consists of a hardware or software controller, mains power and DMX cables which are basically microphone cables with three terminals.  So expect these basic connectors to be used in the strobe effects.

I would be very suprised if they used strobes on the indoor section purley for health & safety reasons. Would they really want to risk someone having a fit whilst on the ride?

They will have warnings before you get on the ride, there not going to shut the ride at night are they because of the outdoor strobes.

dazza4783
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:32 pm

owenjohn wrote:
aircanman wrote:

I take it you haven't been on sub-terra then?

RollercoasterGEEK100
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:39 pm

This is construction, talk about strobes on speculation... Anyway, I hope the chain goes in on the 1st lift today...

Credit to NemesisRider

Capt.Barnacles
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:47 pm

You gotta admit though, Seeing the whole of X-Sector flash at once would be cool. ANd I mean the WHOLE of X-sector, because those lights look really bright.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:17 pm

This is not an onsite video however it does have the same design as one of the spinning discs on the Hypnotiser, you can see it spinning in action here.

Credit @LeaGCookson

http://twitter.yfrog.com/f3sqstaxzomcqxyztijacpgyz?sa=0
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

tobybob123
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:53 pm

It looks like an eye looking round :D
Finally the Fanta sign is gone!

Epsilon
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:09 pm

Does anyone know what they're doing on site today?

clayj
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:20 pm

aircanman wrote:

I've designed systems for DMX (Aurora's DMX060 controllers using Cat5) before & although DMX would work on the flasher, might it not be too much as all the lights have to do is turn on & off white light against a sensor placed on the track - no RGB colour changing ?? Also, its kinda contradicted by the double socket boxes we see in construction photos which apears to feed directly into the back of the fittings ? Although yes I am speculating here, it is linked directly to previous conversation on this topic against construction photos. It just all seems strange coz the high bay fittings are usually HQI or SON which are relatively soft start so in NO way ideally suited to strobe/flash operation ?

JayJay90 wrote:
The painting of the side looks fab and I think Matthew1990 was right in saying the other logo on the maintainance shed does look a like little illusion where you have to see it from a certain angle in order to see the proper intended image.

Might have been me but don't hold me too that as I havn't read every post over the several pages the last week or so lol However, it is nice to see others see what i saw (on the sea shore)
Last edited by clayj on Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:33 pm

Yes that would be good testing cant be far away now.

arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le?
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:37 pm

Mabalzich wrote:
This is not an onsite video however it does have the same design as one of the spinning discs on the Hypnotiser, you can see it spinning in action here.

Credit @LeaGCookson

http://twitter.yfrog.com/f3sqstaxzomcqxyztijacpgyz?sa=0

Not that that does not look amazing! All the other elements of Marvin ( my pet name for the Maramliser! ;) maramaliser, Marvin. Does it work? Haha ;) ) have significant distractions ie. and giant flash, however I don't see what distract or this will have? It's the same with the tickler ( but more so with they hypnotiser ) you won't give it a second look! And most people won't notice even more so be distracted by it. I have said this again and again but I do think the having the Knifes ( which to my confusion are shown on the new map haha )  spinning and as a head chopper instead of spinning disks :-/ I wish they still have the sixth leg :( would of that had the knifes on it? why did they go against it? Money or was it planning? :D
Last edited by arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le? on Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis

But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
‘Cause I'm Mr. Brightside

Jon
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:06 pm

With regards to testing, is it not conceivable that they test through the night in order to complete the necessary hours faster, leaving more time to iron out problems that may arise? Does any park ever do this?
Formerly "Dagoo"

dazza4783
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:27 pm

Jon wrote:
With regards to testing, is it not conceivable that they test through the night in order to complete the necessary hours faster, leaving more time to iron out problems that may arise? Does any park ever do this?

Not if the Ropers have anything to do with it.

JayJay90
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:50 pm

dazza4783 wrote:
Jon wrote:

Not if the Ropers have anything to do with it.

the ropers dont really live at that address all through the year though...

Im not entirely sure if theres any other houses near by or if there are any laws but if not I dont see why they cant...maybe from 9:00-20:00 days or something

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:01 pm

If the Smiler has had permission to be built there then the ropers should carry on with their knitting and get used to the fact that they cant spoil other peoples fun. Also if the Smiler testing is 200 hours then a noise assesment of this process would of already of taken place if it is neccesary, I hope anyway.

arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le?
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:08 pm

altontowersbarlow wrote:
If the Smiler has had permission to be built there then the ropers should carry on with their knitting and get used to the fact that they cant spoil other peoples fun. Also if the Smiler testing is 200 hours then a noise assesment of this process would of already of taken place if it is neccesary, I hope anyway.

Off topic but I know that they lived there before the park became what it is now, however they know the park is going to get bigger and louder throughout the years so as mean as it may sound they might as well move out for their Benefit and the parks. Then again ho would by the house?... Me! ;) do you think the plannig will loosen slightly if they move? There is the town of Alton though :-/ such a shame.... But to be fair even though I would love taller rides I do love Alton for it you have no ugly metal sticking out everywhere it's just a nice good looking park!

Anyway I can't wait to see some more noticeable changes, queue and paints ect... How long do you think they will take till the make up goes on? Can't wait for the next update :D
Last edited by arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le? on Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis

But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
‘Cause I'm Mr. Brightside