UK theme parks from another point of view!

Sam198
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:08 pm

Can we all try to keep our posts on topic please?

I've had to delete a few already today, and that's a few too many.

spin_doctor
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:15 pm

I'm leaving this forum now this is my last post. Thanks for the updates over the past months to those who provided the photos.

aircanman
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:00 pm

clayj wrote:
aircanman wrote:
Noticed someone mentioning the wiring for the strobe system. This will almost certainly be set up using DMX lighting. Which consists of a hardware or software controller, mains power and DMX cables which are basically microphone cables with three terminals.  So expect these basic connectors to be used in the strobe effects.

I've designed systems for DMX (Aurora's DMX060 controllers using Cat5) before & although DMX would work on the flasher, might it not be too much as all the lights have to do is turn on & off white light against a sensor placed on the track - no RGB colour changing ?? Also, its kinda contradicted by the double socket boxes we see in construction photos which apears to feed directly into the back of the fittings ? Although yes I am speculating here, it is linked directly to previous conversation on this topic against construction photos. It just all seems strange coz the high bay fittings are usually HQI or SON which are relatively soft start so in NO way ideally suited to strobe/flash operation ?

The strobe effect will be 2 channel DMX operation I think, they will probably be using Cat5 actually in a more professional setup, there could be a simple on and off operation without DMX but I would say the system will need to be more controllable, and ready to fire, so unlikely.  there will be some sort of control there somewhere, the trigger being as you say a switch on the track somewhere.

Jack
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:09 pm

spin_doctor wrote:
I'm leaving this forum now this is my last post. Thanks for the updates over the past months to those who provided the photos.

We will miss ya, and maybe the one or two arguments you caused

MatthewR1990
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:12 pm

So on a construction side of things. Anyone aware of what's happened today? Is the chain in the first lift hill?
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.

SwEDEN
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:17 pm

Guys, construction update on TST
Pictures can be found in the link below!
http://www.towersstreet.com/talk/planni ... the-smiler)-construction-updates-and-ride-speculation-part-2/1560/

Andzdrew
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:18 pm

MatthewR1990 wrote:
So on a construction side of things. Anyone aware of what's happened today? Is the chain in the first lift hill?

If it isn't, I would like to know what's taking so long for them to do it, surely they can get rid of the crane once that's done?

Andzdrew
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:30 pm

SwEDEN wrote:
http://www.towersstreet.com/talk/planni ... the-smiler)-construction-updates-and-ride-speculation-part-2/1560/

Looking at their final image of the lifthill, I can make out chain around the top cog, have to look closely though!

Also something puzzled me, look closely at the transfer track picture, do you see the little slope leading to the kicker wheel, followed by a tiny 3rd rail? (this 3rd rail is very visible on the piece of track it joins to on the right) does anyone know what this rail is for?

And one other thing to add, look at the hypnotisers motor shaft, the last thing before the spinning disc itself is a small triangular cam, with a sheet metal follower most probably connected to a microswitch... This will give an exact indication of the speed the disc is spinning at, I did think it would not matter, just turn it on and watch em spin, but this shows they have real control over the exact rpm of the discs, so that the illusion they create will be perfectly synchronized with eachother
Last edited by Andzdrew on Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAMMYD777
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:56 pm

^ The little slope and rail on the transfer track and station track is basically there so that the chain catch dog (the piece of metal under the train that latches onto the chain) does not hit the friction wheels straight on that could cause tearing and damage. Instead they just follow the rail up and over the friction wheels.

:)

Andzdrew
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:00 pm

JAMMYD777 wrote:
^ The little slope and rail on the transfer track and station track is basically there so that the chain catch dog (the piece of metal under the train that latches onto the chain) does not hit the friction wheels straight on that could cause tearing and damage. Instead they just follow the rail up and over the friction wheels.

The dog is on the chain on this type of design, so I'm told

arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le?
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:06 pm

After look on the tower street photo the yellow smiler logos in the corner of the shed is done! However I think it look better before if was finished, of you know what I mean! While being made it look sketchy creepy like a child drew it! ( more Pacific of you have ever played slender man the way he is always draw with all the line and scruffiness haha ;) ) now it just looks to good, a neat ;) I hope you understand what I'm trying to say haha :D
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis

But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
‘Cause I'm Mr. Brightside

JAMMYD777
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:16 pm

andzdrew wrote:
JAMMYD777 wrote:

The dog is on the chain on this type of design, so I'm told

It usually is yes, but even so, on Eurofighters there is still a dog on the back of the trains that enable the dog on the chain to push the train up the lift. This rises over the rails just the same. :)

The Smiler trains will have a chain dog of some form anywho.

Plus, echoing what others have said, having seen The Smiler in person today, I am astonished at how imposing it looks and loved listening to others commenting on it. I just hope that this rides smooth (hopefully alignment issues will be sorted out) and that the maintenance on this is kept up.

Hmv
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:24 pm

There is deffinetly no chain on that first lift hill yet, it just looks that way because of the adjustment studs on side of the sprocket :S

Rollercoasters4Life
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:08 pm

Was on site today. Basically what was happening was:

* More painting on the Maintenance shed (Mr twirly).

* Putting feet on more of the legs.

* Work up the first lift, there was one bloke up there for a while.

* Work on the vertical lift hill. Three blokes were up there for a considerable amount of time.

Another note is there is no chain in on the first lift hill yet. There has also been no work carried out on the track that follows the first lift where it 'floats' off the support as seen in the image the other day.

Hopefully the first lift hill chain will be installed tomorrow.

MatthewR1990
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:14 pm

Rollercoasters4Life wrote:

* Work on the vertical lift hill. Three blokes were up there for a considerable amount of time.

Another note is there is no chain in on the first lift hill yet. There has also been no work carried out on the track that follows the first lift where it 'floats' off the support as seen in the image the other day.

Now im bordering the realms of speculation here, but they have been tinkering and playing about with that vertical hill a lot to be honest. Almost as if there is either a problem or there's more than meets the eye with it *coughSecretElementcough*.

I've spotted the feet are coloured. They arnt staying that way are they, I'll be honest they don't match at all.. Or could it just be to help the workers know where they are going?
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.

Rollercoasters4Life
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:24 pm

MatthewR1990 wrote:
I've spotted the feet are coloured. They arnt staying that way are they, I'll be honest they don't match at all.. Or could it just be to help the workers know where they are going?

The coloured sections are just the framing for the feet. The actually feet theming goes over the top and I assume it's going to be the same as the concept art but I couldn't get a good clean look and on the nearest one I could see, they had just put the coloured frames up and the base of the foot.

Evostance
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:58 pm

SwEDEN wrote:

So that shows a close up on the hills.  Those motors from festo are pneumatic pistons to move the fins in and out

Andzdrew
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:27 pm

Evostance wrote:
SwEDEN wrote:

So that shows a close up on the hills.  Those motors from festo are pneumatic pistons to move the fins in and out

On the contrary, the horizontal mounting allows them to move side to side, they are for a couple of blocks of pinch breaks at the bottom of the vertical, the fins themselves go a lot further up and have no visible retraction method, for safetys sake I don't believe they would allow the fins to retract (speculation reasons but I'm sure you're aware of my theories)

owenjohn
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:08 am

Rollercoasters4Life wrote:

Just looked at a picture of that part of the track and it looks like either spacers or extra bolts have been added between the track connector and the support. So it looks like the issue has been addressed.
Last edited by owenjohn on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

truckaddict
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:14 am

Is anyone on park today???

Bi and proud