UK theme parks from another point of view!

aircanman
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Wed May 08, 2013 10:35 pm

Mrloverlubba wrote:
TheSmiler1998 wrote:
aircanman wrote:
Themeparksandy1981 wrote:
Why did they get rid of the photo only topic as I don't want to read lots of pages of rubbish.

Anyway I'm glad that it's gonna open in 15 days time nearly 10 weeks late.

I can't see the 23rd been busy as school kids will be at school and most people will be working as they will have the bank holiday weekend off or even the week at some places.

The photo only topic was dead, just like this thread at the moment, full of silly people who can't read asking questions.

Please don't count that thank I pressed th wrong button. That is very offensive to dislexics not that I am one but dude that was uncalled for! It's a forum everyone is allowed to ask questions and recieve answers. Anyways any teacher will tell you that a question is never silly or stupid

I think what he meant was me earlier on being a silly person asking questions that (without me knowing) had alright been answered. I don't believe he was even slightly thinking about dyslexics

No, I mean people in general pop in this topic and just ask random questions, which have been answered and covered in previous posts, I was not being offensive to dyslexics (random comment btw) - or anyone in general. 

Altitude
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 08, 2013 10:38 pm

SwEDEN wrote:
Photos can be found in the link below
http://www.towersstreet.com/talk/planni ... the-smiler)-construction-updates-and-ride-speculation-part-2/2070/

Thank you to 'Rob'

Looks like there will be nothing special on the straight before the first lift then :P

Mrloverlubba
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 08, 2013 10:46 pm

D-Man wrote:
I do hope that they allow you to walk about under the marmaliser between the queue line fencing, would be such a waste of space, I do find it funny though how the queue works? will that be it??

Also as mentioned before in another post a while back the fencing being so far away from the edges of the trench and the path edges does annoy me  :| why didn't they just put the fences behind the stones instead of a good foot or two onto the path? It just looks weird and misplaced  :|

All in all though the coaster is looking good but there is still quite alot of landscaping and tidying up to do around the ride and also under it  :) Alot of dirt still to be covered :)

JUst to note, the fences that seemed odd away from the rocks have been today took down and rocks, paving and fencing have been repositioned :-) and only a very slight part of the que will go under the marmeliser

jordanc14
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 08, 2013 10:53 pm

Smiler opening day is on exam day for me :( Are we guessing that it will be busier on Saturday 25th than opening day?

SpecyBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 08, 2013 10:56 pm

hambletwins wrote:
well I going on July 2nd-4th so because England aint on holiday yet with it also being a weekday I should hopefully get on it without it being a ridiculous queue! But to be honest I shall wait a long time to get on this beauty! If all else fails the first time I went on th13teen  me and my mate went on single riders as the regular queue was 2 hours. Got through the queue in 5 mins. And. We got to sit together as there was a large group next and no groups of 2's. YAY!

Edit: I'm getting very happy seeing the photo's of the pathway going in around the ride with stone on the edge. makes it looks a lot better. when you think looking at it is already something. but when the landscaping is done and little touches of themeing get put in place. it's going to be an even greater masterpiece!

Sorry to dissapoint you but Early July is actually on of the busiest periods of the year due to School/College and Universitys visiting in their coach fulls 
Pleaseeee Populate my forum for Media Studies

http://thrillmakersofficialfans.net84.net

Mrloverlubba
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 08, 2013 11:01 pm

I'm not into construction myself but is the bridge used to transfer cement from a cement mixer? I ask this as a cement mixer arrived on site at closing time...

[quote author=Mrloverlubba lin

Below, an odd bridge that was erected today, any clues?

[/quote]

Rollercoasters4Life
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 08, 2013 11:01 pm

Mrloverlubba wrote:
Just to let y'all know (much apologies for a double post) but this is what has happened to the fence that was about a foot infront of the rocks, completely removed :)

One, that is the wrong place that the fencing is on, the section where it is in front of the rocks is down the side of the ride across from the Fried Chicken Company. Two, don't post Robs photos as he doesn't want them posted on here - you can link to them on TowersStreet. Finally three, would everyone stop double posting and using the 'sorry about the double post' in front of their second posts. The edit button works fine yano! The whole topic is just filling up with the same questions & double posts - after about 5 pages it becomes very tiresome and I don't envy the Mods at the minute.

Thank you all and...

Smile. Always. :moj

Liam B
Contributor
Contributor

Wed May 08, 2013 11:07 pm

SpecyBeast wrote:
hambletwins wrote:
well I going on July 2nd-4th so because England aint on holiday yet with it also being a weekday I should hopefully get on it without it being a ridiculous queue! But to be honest I shall wait a long time to get on this beauty! If all else fails the first time I went on th13teen  me and my mate went on single riders as the regular queue was 2 hours. Got through the queue in 5 mins. And. We got to sit together as there was a large group next and no groups of 2's. YAY!

Edit: I'm getting very happy seeing the photo's of the pathway going in around the ride with stone on the edge. makes it looks a lot better. when you think looking at it is already something. but when the landscaping is done and little touches of themeing get put in place. it's going to be an even greater masterpiece!

Sorry to dissapoint you but Early July is actually on of the busiest periods of the year due to School/College and Universitys visiting in their coach fulls 

ah damn! :( well... I can only hope!  :cry:

Danny

Wed May 08, 2013 11:09 pm

Taken by TTF team member Kirsty today:

A look at one of the various new pathways

A lone construction worker ascends to the top of the first lift

The ORP camera

Some of the queueline

MatthewR1990
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 08, 2013 11:13 pm

I'm just glad they are giving the Rehydrator a paint hopefully make the orange pipes black again. And then finish off with the most powerful steam jet wash available to man and get that damn concrete clean. I like the paving now as well. It joins to the orange brickwork nicely enough, it sort of splits X-sector but not overly. They look to be theming the inside area ver dark. They are painting it black which is cool I suppose, and that tunnel leading to the first lift hill appears to be getting some extensive themeing. Here's hoping the whole indoor drop area will be as themed all in all I think they are easily on target for the release date.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.

martin.taylor.946
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 08, 2013 11:20 pm

MODs please, oh pretty please, can you return to moderate this topic! Please? I'm losing the plot here.

Jeez... :roll:

Is there a chance that they installed the more robust black/permanent fencing OUTSIDE of the former rock-based path edging instead of inside for a combination of reasons; namely that access for large construction vehicles is still required at the top the site (please see TS photos from tonight; thank you "Ben") in order to finish landscaping etc., yet they required them to be in place due to time constraints and deadlines with regards to the testing / filming that has taken place over the past several evenings/nights/days.

Surely if the fencing was INSIDE of the rock-based path edging then this may lead to further damage, caused by the movement of larger vehicles in and around that area; e.g. 'cherry pickers' and JCBs, etc.?

Thought provoking.

Luce
Contributor
Contributor

Wed May 08, 2013 11:28 pm

Hmm, not sure about the placement of fencing - there may well be a reason but I'm not going to read too much into it :)

Thanks for the new pictures Kirsty, it just goes to show how awesome the ride is looking and glad we now have an opening date.

ChelseeSmile102
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 12:15 am

I don't know if this has really crossed anybody's mind at the moment, but isn't the opening week the same time as the May half term? I mean I love Alton Towers & I drive 5 hours there and back 5 times a year to go but I hate going at school holiday times as its always SOOO busy. Obviously with the smiler opening it was always going to be busy but this is going to be insane!

TomL
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 12:19 am

ChelseeSmile102 wrote:
I don't know if this has really crossed anybody's mind at the moment, but isn't the opening week the same time as the May half term? I mean I love Alton Towers & I drive 5 hours there and back 5 times a year to go but I hate going at school holiday times as its always SOOO busy. Obviously with the smiler opening it was always going to be busy but this is going to be insane!

Opening is the week before... They have 2 days to sort themselves out and then its bank holiday weekend! Followed by half term

DannyNewbro
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 12:36 am

How long do you reckon queues will be on opening day?

Ripsaw Raver
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 12:41 am

Easly 2/4 hours Im thinking this will be like back in 94 when Nemesis opened and that if memory serves correct was 4hours
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123

aldredd
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 5:26 am

Seeing some of the photos from yesterday, both Kirsty's & Robs on TS, it's not hard to see why they're only testing at night - there's just too much ancillary work left to do to be able to shut the area down for day-time testing at the moment.

Edit: Just to clarify [seeing as some chose to rip me apart for making the fence observation] - that isn't me complaining - merely an observation that there are lots of 'finishing touches' being worked on within the ride-zone, which will be preventing full-on testing.
Last edited by aldredd on Thu May 09, 2013 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 6:27 am

I don't give a hoot how good this ride is, I will not stand in a cattlepen for 4 hours!

gouldy
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 7:01 am

It's not going to be 4 hours!  I can see it getting to 2 hours in the half term and the summer, as a maximum.  But Alton Towers is just not like it was back in 1994, when it was Nemesis and not a lot else.  I remember being a child back then, going on the kiddie rides with my mom while Dad and my older brother queued for Nemesis for nearly 4 hours. That just wouldn't happen these days, even with a new ride.

Kirsty25
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 7:31 am

On the ground, two things surprised me...

1. The sheer enormity of the beast, huge, massive and the single craziest looking coaster I have ever seen.
2. The amount of workmen on site, checking the track, doing groundworks etc, paving was still going in, but yesterday morning it was raining so maybe that stopped some of the outdoor work? There was action in the station and material being carried in, something on reels  though I couldn't say for certain what.

I will end on this, from the top of oblivion it looks awesome.