UK theme parks from another point of view!

Kirsty25

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Thu May 09, 2013 12:02 pm

There was work in the station but I didn't get a clear pic, and paving, painting and other groundworks.

JW599
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 12:02 pm

Chaz wrote:
The video is ok, not amazing but ok.

It seems a large cost to hire all that equipment and team for a short clip of the track. I reckon (and with more-human-like dummies in the train) that they did a lot of other filming of the train going round etc. and that we will see this 2nd video released eventually, to cause more hype before opening.

It may be that there could be more to follow. I don't the the exact day the lighting was delivered and how long it takes to setup but maybe this is just a short video produced in a small amount of time.

They could be working on more productions, maybe even material for commercials.

Lucieloo
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 12:12 pm

Did anyone else notice when that picture came out of the train with the dummies in, the back of the head rests? a sort of red and swirly looking smiler.. different to the actual logo? Not sure if its relevant or not tbh so sorry if its an odd suspicion..?
First person ever to be proposed to on the Smiler! xxxxxx
And because of that I am now Mrs A....

Tom_Jephson
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 12:14 pm

Well I can tell you that the video has worked among non- enthusiasts... Just shown it to my brother who has not followed construction at all and his reaction was "Holy *&^?. That is incredible".
For a better start in life, start smiling earlier!

owenjohn
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 1:00 pm

Looking at the trains  there seems to be big gap between each car, could the fins on the lift be used to rotate the seats to face backwards?.

(Sits back and waits for all the abuse for making a stupid comment)

jbuckton18
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 1:06 pm

owenjohn wrote:
Looking at the trains  there seems to be big gap between each car, could the fins on the lift be used to rotate the seats to face backwards?.

Funnily enough , i was thinking exactly the same thing before. What if the 'secret element' was rotating trains ? Imagine that ? This could even be what AT call 'The Disoriantator' ? I mean they are only testing this at night ? why ? Could it be that they are actually hiding the trains spinning round when it's going around the track ? hmmm fuel for thought !
Some say they've seen angels, Ive seen The Smiler - That's enough

mace464
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 1:07 pm

First time poster. Followed development daily since plans announced. Cant wait to  ride. Anyways just a thanks for an enjoyable first time forum experience. And for everyones photo uploads etc. Oh and to say hi. :-) heres to next time

bbooth2
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 1:11 pm

highly doubt there is something going on with the ride cars, purely because of the layout of the track. it looks vomit inducing anyway without rotating/inverting/ tilting seats if something like that was going to happen then the layout would be very basic

SwEDEN
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 1:18 pm

Lets be realistic here, if the train was to have inverting seats.... This ride would be more than a inversion record breaker... It would be a record breaker for most frequent coaster to experience vomit, also since the majority of the que-line takes place under the coaster...... That's not exactly something I want flying at my head at just over 50 mph! (call me strange :lol:)

Liam B
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 1:24 pm

I'm definitely thinking there must be something on the train. I cant imagine what is it but how incredibly secret they are keeping it from not moving an inch in public makes me really wonder what it going to happen in those seats.

MrMrMr
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 1:26 pm

They can't test during the day because of the workmen who are working within close proximity of the track!

Adrenalinejunkie2013
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 1:31 pm

I did tell everyone that testing would be done at night a few weeks back, but no one believed me, even the mods removed my comment as they said it was speculation

dazza4783
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 1:36 pm

MrMrMr wrote:
They can't test during the day because of the workmen who are working within close proximity of the track!

Yes, they still have some groundwork and queue-line work to be completed. They do not have permission to do any construction work late at night so they have to do it during the day, which means testing can only be done at night.
I have to say i do prefer it this way, it keeps the suspense and excitement building, we can keep looking forward to finally seeing it hurtle round the track. I think the first time we will see it testing is either on the press evening, or another video will be revealed when we put all the clues in from the Smile.Always videos.

Morgano
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 1:37 pm

owenjohn wrote:

The train is completely ridgid.

jbuckton18
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 1:43 pm

I understand that they can only test during the night anyway however , i also think that there is something on/built into the trains to make the trains unique and special and i have a feeling that the trains could be the 'secret element' of the ride. Possibly 14 spins during the ride to match with the 14 inversions ? A spinning train could also be 'The Disoriantator' ? You would easily lose track of where you are on the circuit thus disoriantaing your senses.

jbuckton18
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 1:45 pm

Morgano wrote:
owenjohn wrote:

The train is completely ridgid.

You can't be certain but it does look rigid from the picture yes. But who's to say the trains are not the secret element !?

bbooth2
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 1:46 pm

I like the idea J but I highly doubt that will happen, as ive said before being inverted 14 times and spinning is just absolutely ridiculous, we aren't playing on rollercoaster tycoon here, and even if we were, the nausea ratings would be through the roof :P

Rollercoasters4Life
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 1:52 pm

Who is to say they can't test while there are workers on site? A logical answer would be as long as none of the workers are in any of the ride areas (like in the fenced off section near the lower section or in the pit for example) then they can test. If they are in what will be public areas like the queue line, the shop, the top of the steps, ect then there is no problem.

I think the reason they are not testing in the day time is one because there is still people in the restricted zones and two, to build up suspense ready for opening. I wouldn't totally rule out testing during the day once it gets closer to opening and most things are complete.

After all, on the temporary fence near the vertical lift it had a sign saying 'Warning ride testing' or something similar and this is all that would need to be done to allow them to test during the day. As long as every low section of track is fenced off then it is fine.
Last edited by Rollercoasters4Life on Thu May 09, 2013 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kirsty25

Thu May 09, 2013 2:03 pm

owenjohn wrote:

Can we please keep this topic to what is known about the trains, this should really be in the Speculation topic here

Thank you

Now back on topic

Who is to say they can't test while there are workers on site? A logical answer would be as long as none of the workers are in any of the ride areas (like in the fenced off section near the lower section or in the pit for example) then they can test. If they are in what will be public areas like the queue line, the shop, the top of the steps, ect then there is no problem.

There were workmen on and all around the track and site yesterday, including in the station, which would seriously infringe health and safety regulations. I would think we should see some daytime testing next week sometime looking at what was going on on site anyway
Last edited by Kirsty25 on Thu May 09, 2013 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kirsty25

Thu May 09, 2013 2:42 pm

Right, Here's some more of my pics from yesterday of The Smiler site, I know its not brilliant.
The track

From the top end by the Toilets

Cherry Picker still on site

From the bottom of the site

Vertical Lift

The track