UK theme parks from another point of view!

Andzdrew
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri May 10, 2013 6:45 pm

temleh wrote:
Evostance wrote:
temleh wrote:
Love how on the vertical lift she says how she is "getting ready for the vertical drop" and "this is where it goes backwards".

hmm…..

:-s

Yeah ignore me i misheard her! She says this is the 30ft drop they were talking about. :) :oops:

I hear vertical drop myself, still it didn't do it so I guess that's out the window  ;)

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Fri May 10, 2013 6:46 pm

It looks like the only really shakey bits are in the cobra roll and batwing - even B&M have issues with those transitions in some of their rides.

I think the lifts may speed up still, and doubt very much there would be that much stalling in the brake areas - still a lot of fine tuning to go.

How gash does that entrance look though..

Vladimir Bobinski
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 10, 2013 6:46 pm

One thing I strongly believe on YT, is to deliberately ignore any comment along the line of "looks a bit slow", any on or off ride video, does not do the ride experience any justice, regardless if it is better or worse than it "looks". One thing it certainly looks to have is smoothness (That won't last being a Eurofighter) and air time.  Although it looks a bit juddery on the POV.

I think the ride pace looks fantastic considering the size of that train, it reminds of something almost industrial revolution period esque, not quite a crazy as back the future train.  There certainly seems to be an attention to detail with the black and yellow theme.

Can't wait to go on the 23rd.

tharrison4815
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 10, 2013 6:53 pm

I was on site today. It was strange as I got to X-Sector at 09:10 for ERT and The Smiler was doing a test run and there were staff wearing Smiler uniform that wouldn't let us in to X-Sector as it was closed until 10:00. I assumed this was because of the testing but then apparently it did a test run later in the day while guests were in X-Sector. So now I don't understand why it was closed in the first place.

I did also make a point to watch the vertical lift going up to see if it would drop back down but it didn't. Also when I came back again at about 09:50 I saw them move the train up into the hold position on the vertical lift.

Also, when I first got there, there was a person next to me with a point and shoot camera video recording and then running around trying to get good shots of it from where I was standing, between the X-Sector entrance and the toilet block. I assumed he was from TTF but I've not seen any videos or pictures from this perspective yet.

EDIT:

Looking at that Theme Park Worldwide video you can actually see the three members of staff at the entrance of X-Sector who were turning the guests away before 10. Surely they didn't close the area just so TPW could record an exclusive video? Especially one that looks like it was recorded on a phone.
Last edited by tharrison4815 on Fri May 10, 2013 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RollercoasterGEEK100
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 10, 2013 6:56 pm

Colossus and Nemesis had a baby called The Smiler. Colossus the BIG DADDY gave The Smiler 10 Inversions then BIG MUMMA Nemesis gave it another 4....

Credit to NemesisRider

Ryster
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 10, 2013 7:03 pm

arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le? wrote:
Nocama wrote:
I really think that the lift is the answer as we only saw the top of the lift hill with the morning show and Alton seem to skip out the start of the lift hill with their video, either that or the indoor section! What a stunning coaster we have here!

Yes they may cut out the video, but people at the park would see it so it would be out by know ;)

Not necessarily. Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions. Its entirely possible they've simply not activated any possible feature of the vertical lift hill yet. It would be very easy for them to be simply running a different program on the ride for testing.

Not saying there IS an unseen element there, just saying that based on the evidence so far you cannot rule it out.  We'll only know for sure once the ride opens for full on test runs for the media, etc.

One thing that shocked me though was how soon after testing began that they were able to put humans aboard. Isn't there a prerequisite amount of testing required to satisfy health and safety laws or something?

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 10, 2013 7:09 pm

She says this is the 30ft drop
And "im now going on my back"

aress
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 10, 2013 7:14 pm

Kathy wrote:
http://vimeo.com/65887753
Full pov from Daybreak :)

She says "We're going up the vertical hill" on the first lift, lol.

I am jealous as all hell! This ride looks just out of this world, I can't wait to get on it!!! :)

JustTotallyEpic
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 10, 2013 7:15 pm

Heres a few screen shots of the tunnel after the first indoor inversion and a shot of the station in the background which I must say the station looks really dark. :D I got the screenshots from here which another member posted earlier http://www.frequency.com/video/daybreak ... /5-4908570 Image

B3N7AM1N.712
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 10, 2013 7:18 pm

Does anyone know what else needs to be done until the ride opens  :?
:D THE SMILER :D

N3m3s1s
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 10, 2013 7:32 pm

B3N7AM1N.712 wrote:

-Landscaping
-Queue
-Station
-Possibly indoor section
-Shop
-Some paving?

sully1311
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 10, 2013 7:33 pm

B3N7AM1N.712 wrote:

Landscaping, more & more testing and just the aesthetics.

JayJay90
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 10, 2013 7:37 pm

Right guys Ive got a few pictures from today, nothing special but what i will say is I SAW TESTING AND OMG!!!! its amazing but to put EVERYTHING at rest...there was NO reverse free fall drop. The waiting time from the v-lift was quite a while so thats why they skipped it in the AT video. My sister got a close up from the other side of the toilet block than to where I was so really close up :D

overall view with the sign entrance

the mesh behind the sign matches that of the trains too but black :)

not the smiler but my god look at the mist today XD

@ltonFreak12
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 10, 2013 7:39 pm

Kathy wrote:
http://vimeo.com/65887753
Full pov from Daybreak :)

She says "We're going up the vertical hill" on the first lift, lol.

Has anybody noticed the marmalised smile on Laura's face after the air time hills? :woo:
Last edited by @ltonFreak12 on Fri May 10, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 10, 2013 7:42 pm

JayJay90 wrote:
Right guys Ive got a few pictures from today, nothing special but what i will say is I SAW TESTING AND OMG!!!! its amazing but to put EVERYTHING at rest...there was NO reverse free fall drop. The waiting time from the v-lift was quite a while so thats why they skipped it in the AT video. My sister got a close up from the other side of the toilet block than to where I was so really close up :D

Any vids of testing?
Last edited by Owen on Fri May 10, 2013 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JayJay90
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 10, 2013 7:48 pm

Thrillmad wrote:

Any vids of testing?

yeah theyre on my facebook so ill upload and link to them later as im at my parents atm, itll be about 11 unless anyone knows of how to rip from facebook who has me on there, youre welcome to do so :)

Also got these snaps too of the resevation parkings. Quite cool :)
Last edited by JayJay90 on Fri May 10, 2013 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Static Veins
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 10, 2013 8:13 pm

JayJay90 wrote:
overall view with the sign entrance

Wasn't a fan of the entrance upon first seeing it, but from that angle it actually looks pretty decent. Will look even better once the fencing is put up around it, plus I think there's a strong possibility there may be more added to the entrance anyway (like what's with those yellow semi-circles on the interior walls?).

I also really like the sign with that mesh texture.

Nathan Clulow97
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 10, 2013 8:20 pm

Was the 14 inversions part of there worlds fist in January of 2012 or was it something else????????

timmy1372
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 10, 2013 8:24 pm

I happen to be visiting AT on the 21st-22nd of May, been booked since January, sods law the official date its finished and open to the public seems to be the 23rd, i presume the 23rd is now the official opening day? and whats the chances of a "soft opening" a few days before? to iron out any teething problems but without repercussion if it breaks down, fingers crossed!

Roodlesnouter
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 10, 2013 8:29 pm

Wow, wow and wow again. The trains look so graceful but how on earth have they managed to get enough testing done to get Laura T on it?

Gonna head over tomorrow to grab some pics and hopefully see it for myself.

Awesome, just awesome.