UK theme parks from another point of view!

Kirsty25

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Tue May 14, 2013 11:10 pm

M3tabolic wrote:
http://www.itv.com/news/central/story/2 ... -new-ride/

Full POV for anyone who hasn't seen it yet. It was mentioned earlier but I don't think anyone actually posted the link.

ARRGH. Why do the News always get it wrong! The whole POV is left/right flipped.  :anger:

Does anyone here have the technology to download it and flip it back the correct way around?

It has already been posted - the link is here

Roodlesnouter
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 14, 2013 11:11 pm

Thanks Matt, I really like that one too.

I hope you all liked the update.

I met John Wardley on site today and have a couple of pics of him and some audio Of my conversation too. I will post a report from said audio tomorrow as its getting on and Im up at 4am.

Renoh
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 14, 2013 11:12 pm

youarecorrectsir wrote:

There is a set coefficient of friction between the track and wheels. This will never change ever ever ever.

I could bore you all with long differential equations for mass-spring-damper systems to prove why these 'dubious springs' would make no difference to the speed of the car. I won't don't worry! But trust an engineer - this will make no difference.

Sorry, I disagree. You can absolutely change the friction between the wheels and track if you were able to press the wheel into the track with enough force. However I agree that this cannot be done to slow the trains down here; it would take an enormous amount of energy from something that I doubt would be small enough to package into the train. It could be done with brakes which would be released as people smiled, but then those would wear quickly and the maintenance would be horrific.

My take is that facial recognition plays a part somewhere (probably at the bottom of the vertical lift and at the end using fixed cameras).

By the way I love the "I'm an engineer so listen to me" stand point a few are taking. Whoopty doo.

Adrian
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 14, 2013 11:14 pm

M3tabolic wrote:

Full POV for anyone who hasn't seen it yet. It was mentioned earlier but I don't think anyone actually posted the link.

ARRGH. Why do the News always get it wrong! The whole POV is left/right flipped.  :anger:

Does anyone here have the technology to download it and flip it back the correct way around?

Fancy getting something so obvious wrong! At the least it's been corrected now  :lol:

MatthewR1990
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 14, 2013 11:18 pm

Renoh wrote:
youarecorrectsir wrote:

There is a set coefficient of friction between the track and wheels. This will never change ever ever ever.

I could bore you all with long differential equations for mass-spring-damper systems to prove why these 'dubious springs' would make no difference to the speed of the car. I won't don't worry! But trust an engineer - this will make no difference.

Sorry, I disagree. You can absolutely change the friction between the wheels and track if you were able to press the wheel into the track with enough force. However I agree that this cannot be done to slow the trains down here; it would take an enormous amount of energy from something that I doubt would be small enough to package into the train. It could be done with brakes which would be released as people smiled, but then those would wear quickly and the maintenance would be horrific.

My take is that facial recognition plays a part somewhere (probably at the bottom of the vertical lift and at the end using fixed cameras).

By the way I love the "I'm an engineer so listen to me" stand point a few are taking. Whoopty doo.

Friction on a rolling wheel is non existent between wheel and track. The friction is in the bearings in the wheel. The more pressure on these bearings the more friction. BUT! Bearings are not made to be compressed and decompressed. The amount of preassure needed to cause friction would inevitably destroy the life span of said bearings. It is basically impossible to control the speed of the train with pressure on the wheels. Different types of wheels with different bearings would alter the speed over all, but there is nothing you can do to the wheels whilst it in motion (other than apply brakes).

EDIT: I have come to realise I am wrong in this situation, as the wheels are rubber coated correct? So you would end up with more surface area on a compressed wheel. Thus increasing traction/friction. What I said above stands for a solid wheel though :) thanks for reading ;) lmao
Last edited by MatthewR1990 on Tue May 14, 2013 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.

M3tabolic
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 14, 2013 11:20 pm

Kirsty25 wrote:

It has already been posted - the link is here

My apologies... and thank you very very much! I'm happier now!  :D

Edit: EXCEPT in the 'Get Corrected' version of the video, now the cutaway sections with views of the Marmaliser are flipped! argh!  ](*,)
Last edited by M3tabolic on Tue May 14, 2013 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

youarecorrectsir
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 14, 2013 11:28 pm

Renoh wrote:
youarecorrectsir wrote:

Yes you can change the friction force by pressing the train down into the track... however, you cannot press the train down into the track! There is no way to administer a downwards force unfortunately!

And the point I actually made is that the coefficient of friction will not change. This is still true, it is different to the frictional force.

And as for the 'listen to me I'm an engineer' point. Yes you do listen to engineers. You trust engineers to keep you safe while you're at Alton Towers. You trust engineers to get you from your house to Alton Towers when you drive your car. A car is, in effect, a metal box that is powered by a series of small explosions haha!

I would definitely say you can listen to engineers when it comes to roller coasters, inasmuch as you can listen to doctors when it comes to making you better when you're ill.
"Everybody dies, but not everybody lives"

LCFCjames
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 14, 2013 11:43 pm

Can I just say that the marmaliser is starting to look amazingly good :D All the little touches like the black paint and the equations on the side of the legs are really adding to it. It must be up there with some of the best roller coaster theming elements in the world ( if you take Disney out of the equation  :lol:)
It's also nice to see landscaping been started on. Already with the extra turf and plants, the area looks a lot better than it did a week ago 8)

TheOutpatient
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 14, 2013 11:44 pm

I think everyone can agree you can't create a meaningful change in friction between wheel and track by changing its pressure on the track
so that just leaves the the possibility of misquotation.
Last edited by TheOutpatient on Tue May 14, 2013 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/

Vladimir Bobinski
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 14, 2013 11:48 pm

M3tabolic wrote:

Have you not noticed, he ends it by saying, VTI news.

TheOutpatient
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 14, 2013 11:58 pm

John seems quite happy in that video, its the first time I've had time to watch it.

what I noticed aswell is the guy in the station says "but what about if the camera was in your harness infront of you and the ride changes depending on your reaction" (paraphrased).
So what we have here is either our source of our rumor or very uncareful give away of the secret elemant  :)
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/

Adrian
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 15, 2013 12:28 am

This was dismissed as a indicator light when first spotted but is it?

http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/sw7-91/t ... msg719001/

TheOutpatient
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 15, 2013 12:33 am

Honestly I dont know what to think now.

RCandrew
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 15, 2013 12:39 am

Adrian wrote:
This was dismissed as a indicator light when first spotted but is it?

http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/sw7-91/t ... msg719001/

I don't think the trains that have been on the ride actually look like that now anyway?  ;)

kris_p30
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 15, 2013 1:04 am

Not a regular poster so sorry if I sound nooby but presenters from capital FM have been on and have posted a POV / face cam probably already been posted but just wanted to post incase :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwsDR_z ... ata_player

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 15, 2013 2:24 am

The Mirror also rode The Smiler today and here is their footage, the only part I trimmed was the v lift. Article and unedited video here.

This is probably the only POV which shows the entire outdoor circuit without those stupid face cams.

So glad that's a dummy and not a real person, that's surely the leg?.. John Wardley did say though the ride messes with your body!

The train the reporter was in had what appeared to be the number 11 on the front.

Last edited by Aidan Lowe on Wed May 15, 2013 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

temleh
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 15, 2013 2:33 am

Or Train 1, Car 1. ;)
Follow me on Instagram! @v05mattclay

Javs
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 15, 2013 4:05 am

I remember Alton Towers experimenting with this concept of monitoring heart rate and physical reactions a few years ago.  It was reported then that they were working on a ride concept that would react to the riders emotions.

Why on earth would these POV's spend all the time to come up with a concept and graphics to show emotional response if it were not tied into The Smiler in some way.

Look at what we definitely know:  Videos of the ride seemingly slow/fast on different runs, retractible trims on the airtime hills, strange springs, electronic boxes and cameras on the cars, JW himself saying you will have to ride to experience the other secret element, and POV's of people wearing face cams with graphics depicting emotional response monitoring.

That is all ;-)

Andzdrew
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 15, 2013 5:17 am

Every one of these POVs is deliberately cut a little at both lifthills...

Any idea why? [spoiler]because they don't want us to see the chain advancing without the train attached (my freefall drop theory is based on there being two dogs on the chain, so they are holding the train while the special drop dog goes up the hill... Of course we would see this on the POV and the secret would be out)[/spoiler]

mezza
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 15, 2013 6:45 am

TimeAgain wrote:
Krazycoaster wrote:
I've just been scanning over the last few pages and I've read things about screaming /smiling to go faster. This is so stupid and would never work. And just because a theme park fan-site says something, doesn't mean it's true. It's most likely their own opinions and has no real truth  :D

At the moment, the only thing at the moment for me that give the concept validity, is the shots of peoples faces, with the various measurement bars on the right of the screen, one of which is labelled "smiler". The fact that these visuals have been created, means they may feature somewhere on the ride. Otherwise it seems pointless creating the graphic?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ds-newsxml

Those graphics say at the bottom of them (c)newsteam, which means they were created by the newspaper.  If they were created by Alton Towers,  they would say (c) Alton Towers.  I think they were just created to accompany the story, they won't be a feature of the ride itself.
EXIT THROUGH THE SHIPPING CONTAINER