UK theme parks from another point of view!

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Sat May 18, 2013 8:17 pm

New video from ThemeParkWorldwide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRhAH-Ly43A
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

SwEDEN
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 18, 2013 8:19 pm

aircanman wrote:
There wont be any pre show with this ride, its gonna be queue on and go, tvs etc dotted about will show something while it is running, but dont expect much.

Then why are there flaps who's job it is to keep light out, strapped to the entrance of the dark section of the queline?

wagger20
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 18, 2013 8:19 pm

aircanman wrote:
There wont be any pre show with this ride, its gonna be queue on and go, tvs etc dotted about will show something while it is running, but dont expect much.

The queue-line goes through a large area of station before getting to the car-boarding bit - you can see this at the end of POVs, on the final approach to the station. Why would they bother taking it undercover if it wasn't for some sort of pre-show?

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 18, 2013 8:22 pm

No eating/drinking in the correction block or on ride...

It also put the 'no strobes will be used' to bed with strobe lighting smoke and other effects are used on this ride...

Hitch
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 18, 2013 8:23 pm

Sam198 wrote:
James97 wrote:
Buschgardensfan wrote:
RCandrew wrote:
http://postimg.org/image/xei01obt1/ is it just me, or does this track look massive!

Where on earth is he stood relative to the ride?!

Green Screen ?

No.

Why on earth would you use a green screen when you can just film on-site? :-s

Green screens are usually easier, than taking people to the site, but im aware it probably isnt.

M3tabolic
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 18, 2013 8:39 pm

James97 wrote:

Green screens are usually easier, than taking people to the site, but im aware it probably isnt.

Not really... because using a green screen you'd still have to go to the site to film the initial footage, then film the guy walking in front of the screen, then composite them together.

Or you could just film the initial footage with the guy in it and save yourself all the hassle.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 18, 2013 8:45 pm

M3tabolic wrote:
James97 wrote:

Not really... because using a green screen you'd still have to go to the site to film the initial footage, then film the guy walking in front of the screen, then composite them together.

Or you could just film the initial footage with the guy in it and save yourself all the hassle.

Agreed :yes:

Hitch
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 18, 2013 8:46 pm

M3tabolic wrote:
James97 wrote:

Im talking in a scenario where I have footage of that area and I want to fill in some space in the program, so instead of sending the film crew back just throw him in front of a green screen and use the footage as the background, green-screening is really quite easy and simple to do.

JustTotallyEpic
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 18, 2013 9:00 pm

James97 wrote:
M3tabolic wrote:
James97 wrote:

Im talking in a scenario where I have footage of that area and I want to fill in some space in the program, so instead of sending the film crew back just throw him in front of a green screen and use the footage as the background, green-screening is really quite easy and simple to do.

But at what point have you seen any video footage/Images at that camera angle showing that section of track, at the end of the day its ten times easier to just take a photo of the person there than getting a green screen set up and compositing them together. You have to worry about lighting, shadows etc when compositing an image its not worth the hassle at the end of the day  :)

Roodlesnouter
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 18, 2013 9:08 pm

I had another day on park to bring you the latest from the site, it was quite a slow day as The Smiler seems to be having a few issues and most of the work looks like it is about done. The ride is looking really good and like the rest of you I just can't wait to ride it but for now,  here is my penultimate update.

Media

Remnants of last nights media event

Another event was scheduled for this morning,

All the Effects were running on the Marmaliser

New lights were shining on the entrance

But that's where it ended as the ride didn't go anywhere

and the waiting media were sent away. The ride didn't move all day.

Working on the first lift.

Signage

More signs have been added

Close ups

and we now have signs above queue line entrances

Footers

With the groundworks complete all that is left is to paint the footers

Floor Theming

Merlin studios turned up with a wagon full of theming

It was used to create the yellow markings on the ground within the queue area

Other Bits

Evacuation stairs

More stock in the shop

So thats it for the penultimate update we are very nearly there Smiler fans, only 5 more days until opening day. I plan one more trip before the big day, possibly Monday. After that I will be LIVE on park with the rest of the team to bring you all the action as it happens, more info on TTLive to come.

Enjoy the update and be sure to look out for the final Instament on Monday...
Last edited by Roodlesnouter on Sat May 18, 2013 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kieran141
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 18, 2013 9:10 pm

Sorry what's envy one talking about green screens for have I missed something also can someone please fill me in on what's happened today what happened at the press event and has the advert been released yet

Sam198
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 18, 2013 9:14 pm

James97 wrote:
Sam198 wrote:
James97 wrote:
Buschgardensfan wrote:
RCandrew wrote:
http://postimg.org/image/xei01obt1/ is it just me, or does this track look massive!

Green Screen ?

No.

But he was on site. That screenshot is taken from last Thursday's Blue Peter Smiler feature, the man is Barney Harwood, the presenter.

Hitch
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 18, 2013 9:14 pm

JustTotallyEpic wrote:
James97 wrote:
M3tabolic wrote:
James97 wrote:

But at what point have you seen any video footage/Images at that camera angle showing that section of track, at the end of the day its ten times easier to just take a photo of the person there than getting a green screen set up and compositing them together. You have to worry about lighting, shadows etc when compositing an image its not worth the hassle at the end of the day  :)

This is the BBC we are talking about, they already have 20 green screens set up and ready to go

Hitch
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 18, 2013 9:15 pm

Sam198 wrote:
James97 wrote:
Sam198 wrote:
James97 wrote:
Buschgardensfan wrote:
RCandrew wrote:

Green Screen ?

No.

But he was on site. That screenshot is taken from last Thursday's Blue Peter Smiler feature, the man is Barney Harwood, the presenter.

Okay fine, you all win. Im done  ](*,)

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 18, 2013 9:22 pm

and we now have signs above queue line entrances

YAY! I'm so happy as I usually miss out on the queue experience as I use disabled pass,this also proves there is more than meets the eye with the queue/The Correction Block

DoubleOh7
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 18, 2013 9:24 pm

Please can I ask a really dumb question? I love coasters/rides/theming but I am not very up on the technical side of things.

The sign says uses strong magnetic fields - which bit of the ride does this relate to?

again, sorry for the dumb question....

clayj
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 18, 2013 9:25 pm

JW599 wrote:

WORLD's FIRST SPOILER = [spoiler]worlds first ride to feature sky+ pause, rewind & fast forward[/spoiler]

gallopbob wrote:
If it indeed has been constructed to self duel, will we actually even appreciate the effort gone into makeing it work?....

Yeah, from off & on ride I think two cars dueling & meeting at several points throughout the ride will be immense :moj Just think about Dueling dragons...My favourite part was the vertical loops - without the dueling aspect, its just a vertical loop ??

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ

Roodlesnouter
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 18, 2013 9:26 pm

Ive always thought this ride will have a pre show and I really hope you are correct regarding the disabled entrance, I think you may well have a valid point.
Last edited by Roodlesnouter on Sat May 18, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kirsty25
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 18, 2013 9:27 pm

Really good pictures roodles! Any idea what was causing the trouble at last nights and this mornings press events?

Roodlesnouter
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 18, 2013 9:28 pm

DoubleOh7 wrote:
Please can I ask a really dumb question? I love coasters/rides/theming but I am not very up on the technical side of things.

The sign says uses strong magnetic fields - which bit of the ride does this relate to?

again, sorry for the dumb question....

Not a dumb question, I believe it relates to the magnetic breaks.