UK theme parks from another point of view!

aress
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Thu May 23, 2013 12:52 pm

Oblividoom wrote:
I really don't think this is something to moan about really.

At the end of the day, AT is a great resort. I'm personally happy for them not to open a ride that they're evidently not 100% happy with yet. If it's into June, so be it.

I'm with you on this one. It is a shame that the opening keeps getting postponed, I choose to ignore the opening dates that are announced, and wait for the ride to open safely before I book my tickets. I love Alton Towers, and I know they'll be working as hard as possible to get us all "corrected" as soon as safely possible!

Forza_Dan24
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 1:00 pm

I can't help but think that even if the weather was glorious since construction first began, the ride still wouldn't have been ready for the original March opening date. I find it hard to believe that bad weather put them what is now over 2 months behind schedule.

It seems that even the people working on the project didn't realise just how much work and time needed to go into constructing this beast! :moj

Roll on (date tbc)! :D
Smile. Always. :moj
Big thanks to lewis97 for the signature!

jbuckton18
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 1:02 pm

Forza_Dan24 wrote:
I can't help but think that even if the weather was glorious since construction first began, the ride still wouldn't have been ready for the original March opening date. I find it hard to believe that bad weather put them what is now over 2 months behind schedule.

It seems that even the people working on the project didn't realise just how much work and time needed to go into constructing this beast! :moj

Roll on (date tbc)! :D

You're right .. Project management was awful for this ride. Seems like they didnt think this through enough.
Some say they've seen angels, Ive seen The Smiler - That's enough

stu1980
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 1:04 pm

someone just asked on twitter to Alton if it will be open June 7th and there reply was very clear We are not giving out a date keep your eye on the website for info
Has the magic gone for me - yep almost!

Boz
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm

Can I remind all members, that swearing is not permitted in the forum, regardless of how annoyed we all are.

RCandrew
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 1:12 pm

http://s12.postimg.org/6b2vaf6bx/image.jpg

Now I wonder why oblivion is like this......

RobStandley
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 1:12 pm

Boz wrote:
Can I remind all members, that swearing is not permitted in the forum, regardless of how annoyed we all are.

Apologies maybe this is more appropriate...

ShoesU
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 1:13 pm

Will the Smiler have a front row queue option with only 4 cars per train?  I always go for front row where available and would be slightly disappointed queuing for a long time only to get stuck in a row where you cant see anything but shoes or heads or seats.

Markwood71
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 1:25 pm

Doesn't seem an obvious option. Oblivion doesn't have one , nor Saw. Both " similar cars. However I prefer the back row on 13 and Nemmie as it offers "more G"

Superman
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 1:32 pm

For all those of you with Alton Towers Rose Tinted Glasses, what annoys me most is the fact that for two years they have had very poor project management, we live in the UK budget in bad weather! The handling of the public today has been so so poor.

gallopbob
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 1:44 pm

Markwood71 wrote:
Doesn't seem an obvious option. Oblivion doesn't have one , nor Saw. Both " similar cars. However I prefer the back row on 13 and Nemmie as it offers "more G"

These coasters don't, as they have only two rows.  (oblivion's 2nd row is elevated, so both technically offer front row visibility).  If you do this with a two row train, then you force both lanes to be longer wait - think of it as queuing especially to ride the 'last' row, as you will only have one row option in each case...

gallopbob
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 1:56 pm

Who is the hotty with the pink hair on TT live??  Forget the Smiler, that's worth the trip on its own!!

Liam B
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 2:10 pm

AT cant help the British winters now! they can try as hard as they want to get their rides out by march but the weather will always end up holding things back. why they decided to tell everyone it wasn't gonna open 24 hours before it was meant to open I have no idea but unfortunately all we can do is wait. Pretty annoyed at them for doing this. I'm just glad I'm booked for going in July!

DynamiteDaly
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 2:17 pm

I'm fairly annoyed by all this. The "updates" being given by AT are poor, just changing the date on the FAQ page they've put up is insulting.

People have spent a lot of money organising trips, now thrown into confusion, and there seems to be no decent response, or consistant one, coming from customer services.

I'm booked for three days next week, but I am fully expecting to be disappointed. The tone of the FAQ is a definate "we have no idea when we are opening".

Stfcsteve
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 2:23 pm

hambletwins wrote:
AT cant help the British winters now! they can try as hard as they want to get their rides out by march but the weather will always end up holding things back. why they decided to tell everyone it wasn't gonna open 24 hours before it was meant to open I have no idea but unfortunately all we can do is wait. Pretty annoyed at them for doing this. I'm just glad I'm booked for going in July!

cant help british weather but they do some things to prevent it,i know Britain is not set up like Canada, America or even Iceland. But Britain is the same every winter, i have worked on construction sites and we worked though it. extremely cold though hands and toes where like frozen solid haha.

telling people day before is stupid i agree AT have not helped themselves at all, reputation i think will be shattered with all the upset people today who did not get the message and travelled many miles. thirteen, now the smiler, you would think AT would have learned by now and its JW last roller coaster before he retires he wouldn't want this

just hope the smiler is open by next wednesday next week or even thursday as i am there.
Wise men say.........

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 2:26 pm

DynamiteDaly wrote:
I'm fairly annoyed by all this. The "updates" being given by AT are poor, just changing the date on the FAQ page they've put up is insulting.

People have spent a lot of money organising trips, now thrown into confusion, and there seems to be no decent response, or consistant one, coming from customer services.

I'm booked for three days next week, but I am fully expecting to be disappointed. The tone of the FAQ is a definate "we have no idea when we are opening".

Totally agree.

I've just spent half an hour looking around at all the updates from today, from other sites, facebook, and our own.  It has become plainly obvious that The Smiler is far from ready for opening. The whole area is a hard hat construction site.

Things like steps, pathways, queueline fencing, welding, digging, painting, and drilling are still going on today. This stuff about H&S not signing off the ride is a rubbish excuse, although there may be a hint of truth in it, but put simply it is a no-go area for the general public.

The fact that Alton Towers seem to think they can play this day-by-day is an absolute disgrace. Somebody in the management team needs to get a grip and man up. Set a realistic opening date - like Saturday 1st June - for example and then that gives them over a week to get things finished and tidied up.  It also does a good job of giving people a bit of notice to change plans.

It's common decency, Alton Towers. You need to get some!

LaurenceGough
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 2:31 pm

Sod the cosmetics, just get the ride going ASAP and open it up! :(  Such disappointing news after so many delays... I have a hotel booked, and not through AT with their unrealistic prices. Not able to get a refund with such short notice. Over a 300 mile round trip, and I won't be able to visit the ride for which I made a hotel booking awesome...

All of the adverts still say today to open... Even the support phone line, how ironic.

To me it looks like a total mess in management, looks like a lot of work still going on...

I'm going to camp it out until it opens  :|
Last edited by LaurenceGough on Thu May 23, 2013 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Assume the position...

nickdcfc
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 2:32 pm

I imagine they don't want to rule out being able to be open on Monday, as that could completely kill their bank holiday footfall

jknelhams
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 2:32 pm

I think H&S won't sign off the ride because it's a Hard Hat Construction site...

TheSmiler1998
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 2:33 pm

Has an alternate opening date been confirmed yet? i'm at school and dont have time to trawl through pages of forum. i'm going this weekend and if its not open i will want a refund!
Last edited by TheSmiler1998 on Thu May 23, 2013 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@LukeSavidge1998 I follow back so hit follow button! #getcorrect #excited
We know what we are, we know what we are! Erm.... Europa League winners we know what we are! Doesn't have the same ring to it does it?