UK theme parks from another point of view!

LaurenceGough
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Thu May 23, 2013 2:34 pm

Nope TheSmiler1998. Fingers crossed it's open late Friday (they say it won't) or Saturday.

It looks pretty busy at the park today! I bet lots turned up for The Smiler...
Assume the position...

JayTricky
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 2:36 pm

The Smiler? More like The 'Not open for a while'er.

Ill get my coat.

DynamiteDaly
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 2:38 pm

PeteB wrote:

The fact that Alton Towers seem to think they can play this day-by-day is an absolute disgrace. Somebody in the management team needs to get a grip and man up. Set a realistic opening date - like Saturday 1st June - for example and then that gives them over a week to get things finished and tidied up.  It also does a good job of giving people a bit of notice to change plans.

It's common decency, Alton Towers. You need to get some!

This is the third set of dates that we've set this year for our AT trip. I thought with a "May" opening picking the last week would be safer, despite it being half term.
24 hours notice is a real teeth kicker, I can't rearrange leave from work just like that, and the GF certainly can't. I'm going to be driving from the Lake District with a cloud of expectant disappointment hanging over me.

TheSmiler1998
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 2:39 pm

LaurenceGough wrote:
Nope TheSmiler1998. Fingers crossed it's open late Friday (they say it won't) or Saturday.

Cheers mate! I've got everything crossed for an opening by the weekend.
I think that the sign at the front gate is an absolute joke! Oh sorry for ruining your day! We are not opening today!
Its an absolute joke, two opening days cancelled  :evil: RAGE MODE ACTIVATED!  ;)
@LukeSavidge1998 I follow back so hit follow button! #getcorrect #excited
We know what we are, we know what we are! Erm.... Europa League winners we know what we are! Doesn't have the same ring to it does it?

aress
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 2:39 pm

Oh dear God! Steve Wright has just announced on BBC Radio 2 that The Smiler rollercoaster opens at Alton Towers TODAY! I'm so confused!

DynamiteDaly
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 2:40 pm

I prefer to look at the advert "The Smiler - Open May 2013" and think they have made a small error.

Easily corrected (see what I did there) to:

The Smiler -May open 2013.

NecronomiconUK
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 2:41 pm

Let's just hope that when it does finally open it's not as bad as Air's first few weeks. Ouch...

halso86
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 2:45 pm

aress wrote:
Oh dear God! Steve Wright has just announced on BBC Radio 2 that The Smiler rollercoaster opens at Alton Towers TODAY! I'm so confused!

Another reason why this whole thing is a mess, they haven't even bothered to publish the delay properly, not all visitors use social networks or websites...

A simple advert in the paper or on the news wouldn't have being too difficult...

dominicjeffrey
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 2:47 pm

:evil:
Last edited by dominicjeffrey on Thu May 23, 2013 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dominicjeffrey
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 2:50 pm

I have never ever had a bad word to say about Alton Towers. . .
UNTIL this year!  They have done nothing but lie over and over. I don't think we need to get corrected, THEY DO.

mooster
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 2:52 pm

aress wrote:

I've just done Alton Towers' job for them and emailed Steve - hopefully he'll read it out!

mikecloud1984
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 2:53 pm

My 2 cents is that this is a worlds first rollercoaster.

We all knew there was a possibility of there being delays for opening because of the delays that have happened over the last 9 months.

I know we are all enthusiasts, and AT have not been the most forthcoming with explainations but really, how can people moan about booking up and wanting refunds etc?

The Smiler is ONE ride umongst another 50......

Would you all complain and want refunds if you turned up and Nemesis (the biggest draw at AT) was not running?

No.

Yes, AT should never have given hard dates if they couldn't meet them - but people should have used their logic and intelect and not booked Hotels, days off work etc 1 or two days after the suppossed opening date for these exact reasons!

I am waiting until October to ride The Smiler because a) I know it will be open and b)the park will be dead quiet.

The ride will still be there in a few months, it's not going anywhere and at the end of it I will still have the same experience as everyone else who is moaning about it.

You all made your beds - now lie in them. Go an enjoy AT for the other 49 rides and stop your moaning that you all jumped the gun and didn't use common logic.

mikecloud1984
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 2:55 pm

halso86 wrote:
aress wrote:

Another reason why this whole thing is a mess, they haven't even bothered to publish the delay properly, not all visitors use social networks or websites...

A simple advert in the paper or on the news wouldn't have being too difficult...

Papers come out THE DAY AFTER.......so thats not going to work.

And do you really consider this to be national news?

I think you need to reassess your priorities.

DynamiteDaly
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 3:03 pm

mikecloud1984 wrote:
Would you all complain and want refunds if you turned up and Nemesis (the biggest draw at AT) was not running?

No

I'd consider it ha ha ha

mikecloud1984
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 3:05 pm

DynamiteDaly wrote:
mikecloud1984 wrote:

No

I'd consider it ha ha ha

.......fair enough......:-)

However, it wouldn't be the end of the world - much like the Smiler being delayed again IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD! Some people here think AT owes them something - they owe you a full days riding subject to availibility - check your tickets!

nancarrow
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 3:08 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Turns_(Knoebels)

I hope This Smile will not turn into our own flying turns!

Oblividoom
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 3:11 pm

The only people who can moan are the investors, shareholders and executives. It's their money on the line and their company. Moan about the management all you want, but really it's not their fault nor is the fault of hard working customer service staff who are no doubt really getting grief at the moment.

I'm sure the creative team is just as frustrated at the situation. So people really need to calm down with the negativity. This is simply being impatient. We have a world record breaking roller coaster coming soon to the resort and this situation hasn't deterred from that.

If we're that much of an enthusiast community, we'd express our disappointment in a constructive fashion and continue our general discussion of The Smiler, its construction and how great it looks. Sorry to the mods if you think that's me stepping out of line, but this feed is exceptionally packed with mild offensive (if not inappropriate) criticism.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

DynamiteDaly
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 3:11 pm

mikecloud1984 wrote:

However, it wouldn't be the end of the world

True, I look forward to my trips partly because they are only 2 times a year and it is so far away from me. I'll still enjoy myself, however if they stick to this 24 hour update thing and it opens the day after I'm there I might just explode. I made a call that a month would give me enough scope for it to be open, it is looking as though that might not have been enough.

DynamiteDaly
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 3:14 pm

Oblividoom wrote:
The only people who can moan are :

Anyone can moan. It is called opinion.

timbob
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 3:20 pm

nancarrow wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Turns_(Knoebels)

I hope This Smile will not turn into our own flying turns!

or indeed ring°racer :para: