UK theme parks from another point of view!

arsenalfan-1
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Thu May 23, 2013 5:55 pm

jbragg1 wrote:
jackandylan123 wrote:
jbragg1 wrote:
the smiler has been testing at night because yesterday one car was on each lift hill. Alton towers may have started doing something to do with a worlds first and i don't think they want the public to see.

we have already seen testing videos, and yes there is a worlds first tha they have been trying to hide since construction finished...14 inversions :lol:

there could be more worlds first's

Why would they be hiding things like that now, when it was supposed to open today? :moj
Thanks Lewis97

mrpwing
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 5:55 pm

If the ride has had press go on it it's obviously finished and safe/stable.

If Alton were unsure of the date they would not have spent 'X' amount of money of Advertising the date via television etc.

Something strange is going on and would be nice if they explained what the issue was! Maybe it's a synchronisation issue? Didn't it break down with a load of press on it and they all freaked out?

I'm going there tomorrow for two days, upset I can't go on it (especially since I had a job interview today and didnt get it!) But at least there are 50 (lol) other attractions to keep me entertained... never been on Sub Terra so that will be new I guess.

Saved my Box tokens so at least I can go again later in the year half price.
Phantom Made and Seldom Seen

richard.s
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 6:02 pm

aircanman wrote:
There is a chance the contractor for the job has hit the £18,000,000 budget which is why things have slowed down, do agree that although this kind of thing will happen, Alton need to get management together and make sure all the people are treated professionally, because a lot of customers will be disappointed with the smiler not being open, and judging by todays issues (sonic, rita, thirteen, oblivion) being closed, they are not handling this very well......

Very unlikely - construction contracts do not work like that.

The contractor will have submitted a tender based on the specification provided by the client - I presume Gerst would have been nominated as a supplier (of the roller coaster) therefore fixing that element of the contract sum. It is then the contractors responsibility to complete the works within the price they submitted- they are liable for any over spend on works that are within the specification to which they have priced. However, extensions of time and other related compensation events (variations to spec etc) are to be paid by the client given the claim is reasonable and fair. mutually beneficial agreements can be made when relating to adverse weather & items beyond either parties control.

If the delay is a down to poor management and slow work - the contractor will be paying massive liquidated damages for each day/week over the agreed completion date.

Likewise, Gerst will be paying out a fair chunk if it is their fault.

It is in everyones interest to have this ride open as soon as possible.

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 6:04 pm

Jadiibeth wrote:
stu1980 wrote:
im saying 3 words and only 3 words and thats all and i,ll take the back lash like an adult.

Bring Back Tussauds

- they no how to run a park.

Thats All

I'm more than certain it makes minimal difference who is running the park. Merlin run towers amazingly well, given the scale etc.... im saying that because I couldnt do it myself. Teething problems with new rides happen under anyone's watch.
Might aswell point the finger and say bring in someone like intamin rather then Gerst if thats the case...
problems are problems, whatever the management or constructor.
IMO.

Oh no, it makes a huge difference who is running the park. As an enthusiast who has followed the park since the the late 80's I've seen it change hands a number of times. Pearson's Tussauds were the best, nobody else even comes close.  I'm not going to say Merlin are the worst, but they're up their as probably the 2nd worst in my opinion.

Having said that, the way this whole situation has been dealt with is appalling. It's really comes down to the management and marketing teams. Ian Crabbe in particular, the parks GM, should be hauled over hot coals for this.

All we need is a decision to be made by the park, a date they can set and stick to so that no one else loses their money over travel expenses and accommodation. Thousands of people have lost out already because 20 hours notice simply wasn't enough. Add to that the fact it wasn't very well publicised either. If it hadn't been for the enthusiast sites and community, very few people would have heard the news at all.

Disgusting!

themealgang
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 6:04 pm

These delays are weird, and the fact that they called off the opening date just 20 hours before it was due to open did baffle me. But now looking at some of the updates from the enthusiasts, the ride doesn't look complete anyway! The queue line is incomplete, work is still ongoing on the vertical lift... It doesn't look ready to blow us away.

I'm hoping the coaster will be ready for this weekend. I'm feeling optimistic. THE FAQ section on the website is indeed very generic and vague within it's content (expected!:lol:) so they must be close. Fingers crossed H&S work their magic quickly! 

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

jamesc
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 6:09 pm

Has anyone noticed the park open times are 5:30 instead of 5:00 from the 23rd of May, so I was wondering the 30 minutes extra each day, must be because the Smiler was going to open?
As long as there is Imagination in the World, there will be bigger, better rides!

Stern John
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 6:10 pm

Guest services gave us free tickets to come back later this year.
Gutted I won't get to ride Smiler till September but least it will be free!

Brazilian13Guy
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 6:12 pm

If you look Towers Nerd coverage, you will see that there's a lot of work to do, including new fencing around the marmaliser and the last bit of second airtime hill. That's it, looks like the ride wasn't ready for open today

Wes
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 6:23 pm

Just an educated guess that The Smiler will be open on Saturday.

Although the Resort aren't confirming an opening date - they're very much playing it on a day to day basis. If you don't quite understand that - basically yesterday, they said it won't be open today and today they've said it won't be open tomorrow.

Hopefully we'll get an update from the Resort tomorrow confirming a date (fingers crossed Saturday - or god forbid they'll be giving out an awful lot of free tickets!)

It's clearly in their best interest to get this ride running ASAP!

Static Veins
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 6:34 pm

Wes wrote:
Just an educated guess that The Smiler will be open on Saturday.

Although the Resort aren't confirming an opening date - they're very much playing it on a day to day basis. If you don't quite understand that - basically yesterday, they said it won't be open today and today they've said it won't be open tomorrow.

Hopefully we'll get an update from the Resort tomorrow confirming a date (fingers crossed Saturday - or god forbid they'll be giving out an awful lot of free tickets!)

It's clearly in their best interest to get this ride running ASAP!

I've said it before, I'll say it again:

It would be CATASTROPHIC for the park if The Smiler isn't open for bank holiday weekend, or (god forbid) at least some of half term.

The Thursday opening was clearly chosen so they'd have a couple of days to see how things run with the public riding before the bank holiday/half term rush. They now won't have those days, but I'll be very surprised if they now aren't doubling, no - tripling, their efforts to get this open for as late as Monday. The backlash will be through the stratosphere otherwise.

DaveBear
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 6:40 pm

jbragg1 wrote:
jackandylan123 wrote:
jbragg1 wrote:
the smiler has been testing at night because yesterday one car was on each lift hill. Alton towers may have started doing something to do with a worlds first and i don't think they want the public to see.

we have already seen testing videos, and yes there is a worlds first tha they have been trying to hide since construction finished...14 inversions :lol:

there could be more worlds first's

The Worlds First Roller Coaster to Open....... NEVER!   :P

Anyway on serious note, does anyone know the real reason for the delay, and end of the day if the Ride is not finished who is to say they cant use any other excuse but to own up and say well we never completed the ride.

But then surely 2 weeks ago they would have known what needed to be done, and thus its the Managements Fault, well the guy who said, yeah we can get it done by then....

But again no one really knows whats the delay, and if its because some parts of the ride are not working as should, hense maybe related to the break downs, then things like that cant be helped.

Static Veins
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 6:43 pm

Interesting photo from Towers Nerd Live, taken just after closing:

Health and safety survey? Who knows!

Certainly looks like, it or at least some kind of inspection, to me. Here's hoping after some construction magic overnight and tomorrow, we'll get an announcement sometime tomorrow afternoon.

Hari
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 6:44 pm

DaveBear wrote:
Anyway on serious note, does anyone know the real reason for the delay, and end of the day if the Ride is not finished who is to say they cant use any other excuse but to own up and say well we never completed the ride.

But then surely 2 weeks ago they would have known what needed to be done, and thus its the Managements Fault, well the guy who said, yeah we can get it done by then....

But again no one really knows whats the delay, and if its because some parts of the ride are not working as should, hense maybe related to the break downs, then things like that cant be helped.

The reason was because H&S (Health and Safety) have not visited the park to check the fire exits, emergency evacs and other crap that they should have done yesterday :P If that helps :)
NR

jayson2125
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 6:51 pm

Ok seen as I had booked the day off anyway thought it a shame to waste it and you never know maybe the smiler would open.

Got to park and the coach park was very full as was the entrance, We decided to buy some fast pass tickets to ease the day and not queue for most of it (rita & nemesis).

Went straight to oblivion and it was broken down so decided to walk over to dark forest.

Went on rita and sat in the back car and for the whole ride there was a really bad knocking sound coming from underneath us, on the brake run every second there was a thud so I can only assume one of the wheels has a flat spot or someone has welded a lot of 1p pieces to the track.

Then onto Thirteen....40 minute Q...rather not.

So back to oblivion....still closed.

It rained a bit then and we decided to go over to sonic spinball....Hey presto closed and staff outside saying no idea when it would re-open.

We went to guest services who to be fair were fantastic and there wasn't the 1 mile queue we were expecting.

Really nice friendly staff who offered us two free fast passes due to the ride breakdowns, decided to get oblivion and Rita for a second go.

We then went over to Sub terra had a great ride due to the amount of girls screaming which gives this ride a great feeling.

Then on to nemmy....Ferocious as ever...sat on the back row.

Cable cars over to Rita and when we get there....Closed.

Rain then started to pelt down so called it a day at 3pm and on the way back went back to guest services and explained we hadnt been able to use the fast tracks due to ride breakdowns again and weather.

Again excellent service by them and passes renewed plus an extra one to use any other day..Excellent cant praise them enough.

While we were there the same question over and over from other guests "why no smiler"... I felt so sorry for guest services who really have no idea what is going on.

So summing up the day.

No smiler
No Rita
No Smiler
No Oblivion
No Smiler
No Spinball

Great customer services.

On the Smiler front its no wonder the ride is delayed..every workman we saw today was working at one of the pre-set speeds

Fast
Medium
Slow
Couldnt care less...Yes this speed was selected today.

There were many workmen walking around as if nothing was amis and they had another six months before the ride will open. Several suits in hi vis looking worried but ultimately watching the snail paced workmen going about there business.

Im hoping the smiler opens on bank holiday or before but judging by today it seems like the site motto is MANYANA..No rush.....

On a positive note we did see staff doing evac training, I just hope they haven't forgotten what they learnt by the time the ride actually opens.

Many many thanks to Lewis97 for my signature file.

mixer114
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 6:59 pm

guest services deseve a medal they did a better PR job than the proffesionals well done to all of them  :D

Balb0wa
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 7:06 pm

jayson2125 wrote:

Went on rita and sat in the back car and for the whole ride there was a really bad knocking sound coming from underneath us, on the brake run every second there was a thud so I can only assume one of the wheels has a flat spot or someone has welded a lot of 1p pieces to the track.

I heard that knocking sound on Rita 2 weeks ago, its not normal at all,certainly adds to the experience though, you think its coming apart.

Tom_Jephson
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 7:08 pm

I have to agree with jayson. Just from looking at photos you can see that a lot of the workers are just strolling around without a care in the world. They don't look like they have much passion for the job they're doing.
For a better start in life, start smiling earlier!

Stern John
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 7:11 pm

Completely off topic but think we must've done the rides in the right order today.
Rita 15 mins
Thirteen 10 mins
Charlie walk on
Ice age 5 mins
Sub Terra 30 mins
Spinball 30 mins
Oblivion 30 mins
Air 10 mins
Nemesis walk on X2
Air again walk on.
Just to reinforce what others have said guest services are great, can't praise them enough.
They are going to have their work cut out over the next few days or possibly weeks!
This delay will cost AT a fortune.
How do we know it's H&S responsible for the delay?
My guess would be the ride just isn't ready yet.
Even when it does open expect breakdowns and delays.

mrpwing
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 7:16 pm

Tom_Jephson wrote:
I have to agree with jayson. Just from looking at photos you can see that a lot of the workers are just strolling around without a care in the world. They don't look like they have much passion for the job they're doing.

If it really is the Health and Safety issue, they will just be there for show. What's a worker to do with nothing to do??
Phantom Made and Seldom Seen

ProjectK
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 23, 2013 7:18 pm

It seems 2 of the biggest gripes on here are that (1) the ride didn't open on the advertised date, and (2) that there is no fixed new date for the opening. It occurs to me that AT are loathed to advertise a new date for fear of not being able to honour it and annoying even more people! They're damned either way!

The disappointment is understandable and I genuinely feel for those whose plans to be amongst the first to ride have been trashed, but the one thing we can all be sure of is that this is not how they would have wanted this to go, and they'll be doing everything to get this up & running as soon as is (safely!) possible.

Who knows who or what is to blame... AT, Gerstlauer, other project management, H&S...