UK theme parks from another point of view!

Friedchickenman
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Wed May 29, 2013 11:20 pm

King Nemesis
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 29, 2013 11:22 pm

Alright people, caaaam down! Well we will have to see tomorrow wether this is true or not because I'm guessing in true Alton fashion they will announce 12 hours before its due to open.

Stern John
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 29, 2013 11:24 pm

Friedchickenman wrote:

I'd love that to be true but I would take it with a pinch of salt until you hear anything official.
Even then it may not open as has been proven twice before!
When it eventually opens it aint gonna go smoothly and will most likely be subject to severe downtime for at least the first month.
Last edited by Stern John on Wed May 29, 2013 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Friedchickenman
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 29, 2013 11:27 pm

King Nemesis wrote:
Alright people, caaaam down! Well we will have to see tomorrow wether this is true or not because I'm guessing in true Alton fashion they will announce 12 hours before its due to open.

They will because contractors said things could still change, they defo weren't ready last week.

King Nemesis
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 29, 2013 11:30 pm

Yes I know they were not. I visited on Un-Opening Day. :)

I'm just saying obviously they love giving people notice :)

Nah.. I'm not digging into towers just using cases that have happened for purely comedic purposes :D

Friedchickenman
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 29, 2013 11:31 pm

King Nemesis wrote:

Nah.. I'm not digging into towers just using cases that have happened for purely comedic purposes :D

i could tell you some info about the setbacks if you like :P ;)

King Nemesis
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 29, 2013 11:35 pm

Go on then ;)

Feel free to PM Me.

Benjsh

Wed May 29, 2013 11:36 pm

The first set of my SUN FREE tickets are for this sunday. I was going to give it a miss and use them another time but I won't be able to if it does open on friday so I may just go along.

Downside is it will be incredibly busy if it does open on friday.

Katherine
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 29, 2013 11:40 pm

Let's just assume it'll be announced 20 or so hours before opening day. On the other hand, even though It's half term, being announced at short notice, not everyone will get the chance to take a day off work so close to the day they want off, so fingers crossed this lowers the amount of people there, which I doubt it will.

vincevincent
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 29, 2013 11:45 pm

Friedchickenman wrote:
Smiler is planned to be open this Friday.

Hopefully it will!! I'm going on Friday!!

Friedchickenman
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 29, 2013 11:46 pm

vincevincent wrote:
Friedchickenman wrote:
Smiler is planned to be open this Friday.

Hopefully it will!! I'm going on Friday!!

Its planned for then, could change, like it did last week :) contractors have been told friday though.

Danny

Thu May 30, 2013 12:03 am

It doesn't matter who's been told what, because there always appears to be a miscommunication somewhere along the line. It's best waiting until official word has been given from the resort itself before making any plans. Personally, I am routing for Friday [and have been seen visiting on "the day that The Smiler should have opened, but didn't"].

DanMcSUFC
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 30, 2013 12:10 am

Roodlesnouter wrote:
Well guys the window of opportunity has closed for me, Im off on my Jollies. I am gutted not to have ridden The Smiler but now I look forward to riding Shambala, Dragon  Khan and Furious Baco.

I will be back on the 9th and at AT on the 10th my fingers are crossed that it is open by then, if you guys get to ride before then I hope you enjoy it.

This more or less brings the construction period to a close for me  (I hope) and I thank you all for following but remember guys and gals, as upset that we all are about what has happened we are all coaster fans at heart, so don't blame each other. Enjoy the coaster, should it open, and I will see you all when I get back.

Roodles....

Thanks for all your updates Roodles, always great to scroll through your photo updates through construction, especially as I've not been able to get there to watch this beast being constructed in person!!

With regards to opening, I would hope that The Smiler would be opening soon - by the sounds of things, they have just a few more small little finishing touches to, well, finish off, and we should see this beast in full swing!!! I did try asking Alton Towers if they had an update on the situation this morning on twitter, however I didn't get a response.

In all honesty, I'd rather it was delayed so they finished off the ride completely, than rushed to meet their 23rd May deadline... But be patient everyone, because I've got a really funny feeling that we're going to be getting a big announcement very soon! :D

dazza4783
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 30, 2013 12:11 am

If it is going to open on Friday then i would assume there will be some sort of announcement tomorrow, although obviously they will only announce it if they are 100% certain that it will open then. It will really get embarrassing if they miss another opening date.

Zach
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 30, 2013 12:20 am

Friedchickenman wrote:
King Nemesis wrote:

I wouldn't mind this said information and if your not willing to put it in the topic...pm me :)

XXBENNXX

Thu May 30, 2013 12:26 am

ATfanatic wrote:
Friedchickenman wrote:
King Nemesis wrote:

I wouldn't mind this said information and if your not willing to put it in the topic...pm me :)

same

Zach
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 30, 2013 12:48 am

dazza4783 wrote:
If it is going to open on Friday then i would assume there will be some sort of announcement tomorrow, although obviously they will only announce it if they are 100% certain that it will open then. It will really get embarrassing if they miss another opening date.

Well you know what they sy 3rd times a charm :)

aress
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 30, 2013 1:01 am

MatthewR1990 wrote:
ATfanatic wrote:
dazza4783 wrote:

Yeh unless it's a heart attack or a stroke.

What do you have to do to become a "Fabulous Member"! I love the rainbow-coloured bar there! But on topic, has there been an official announcement from AT that Friday will be the day?

TomL
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 30, 2013 1:08 am

aress wrote:
What do you have to do to become a "Fabulous Member"! I love the rainbow-coloured bar there! But on topic, has there been an official announcement from AT that Friday will be the day?

Nope, nowhere near one...

MatthewR1990
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 30, 2013 1:33 am

aress wrote:
MatthewR1990 wrote:
ATfanatic wrote:
dazza4783 wrote:

Yeh unless it's a heart attack or a stroke.

The fabulous bar is a joke from Adz the admin. If its your type of thing then great. I hate it with a passion. But I've got so used to it I don't even see it anymore lmao. I'm guessing he's even forgot he gave it me.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.