UK theme parks from another point of view!

 
User avatar
serious sam!
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 42
Joined: July 2008
Location: kings lynn, norfolk

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:10 pm

Mogga wrote:
M3tabolic wrote:
Trisnie wrote:

I am sorry as I suspect this may not be the place for this and I doubt it would happen with this coaster but has anyone ever build a coaster which after all the testing was so far off the spec it didn't work?


The best example I can think of is Maverick at Cedar Point. They had delay the opening to take out an inline twist because it was so intense it caused way too much stress to the track and wheel assemblies of the cars. There was also concern that the lateral Gs of the heartline would be dangerous for passengers.

For some reason it's now difficult to find pictures of this, but you can see it at about 3:25 in this video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBO6ExqKRwI

EDIT: A way better video of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guTTVVco1NA


Wasn't Jubilee Odyssy at fantasy island (ingoldmells) lowered because of stalling?  Not sure if that was just a rumour.  If so a clear example of one that didn't work. It still doesn't run in high winds or heavy rain they always close it.


No, jubilee odyssey was planned to be much higher than the 170ft ish height it is today, i believe the original plan was something crazy like 270ft but the planning application was cancelled. Its still has roll backs and stalls today though because of the height of the first 3 inversion :p

My source - http://www.islandquest.co.uk/past.php?mode=unbuilt
 
rhino18
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 127
Joined: December 2012
Location: Leicester

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:16 pm

serious sam! wrote:
Mogga wrote:
M3tabolic wrote:
Trisnie wrote:

I am sorry as I suspect this may not be the place for this and I doubt it would happen with this coaster but has anyone ever build a coaster which after all the testing was so far off the spec it didn't work?


The best example I can think of is Maverick at Cedar Point. They had delay the opening to take out an inline twist because it was so intense it caused way too much stress to the track and wheel assemblies of the cars. There was also concern that the lateral Gs of the heartline would be dangerous for passengers.

For some reason it's now difficult to find pictures of this, but you can see it at about 3:25 in this video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBO6ExqKRwI

EDIT: A way better video of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guTTVVco1NA


Wasn't Jubilee Odyssy at fantasy island (ingoldmells) lowered because of stalling?  Not sure if that was just a rumour.  If so a clear example of one that didn't work. It still doesn't run in high winds or heavy rain they always close it.


No, jubilee odyssey was planned to be much higher than the 170ft ish height it is today, i believe the original plan was something crazy like 270ft but the planning application was cancelled. Its still has roll backs and stalls today though because of the height of the first 3 inversion :p

My source - http://www.islandquest.co.uk/past.php?mode=unbuilt


No, they did lower the horseshoe turn in 2003, due to stalling. What you're talking about is that in the first planning application, Fantasy Island wanted the coaster to be 81 m. It was of course turned down, so they re-submitted at 51 m. That has nothing to do with the stalling.

Fun fact: For those who didn't know, Odyssey's lift is manure-powered.

danny.g97 wrote:
Sorry to seem stupid but what track is newly constructed in those pictures?


Bottom of the dive loop, maybe? :?
 
User avatar
Hitch
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 101
Joined: November 2012
Location: North Wales
Contact:

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:16 pm

I saw some structure on a lorry today on the motorway I can only assume it was going to alton towers as I was heading in the alton direction and it had the same style metal as the station building  8)
Image
 
rhino18
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 127
Joined: December 2012
Location: Leicester

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:01 pm

^What about the first half? ;)

It's £28m, because it's 51m high, almost a kilometre long and has 5 inversions (one of which is 38m tall)! Compared to Swarm (£20m); 38m tall, 775 m long and 5 inversions (tallest is 25-30m, or so). Although, Swarm does have lots of theming, which is why Thirteen was £15m, expensive for a mine train, if you ask me. ;) 
 
Benjsh

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:14 pm

rhino18 wrote:
^What about the first half? ;)

It's £28m, because it's 51m high, almost a kilometre long and has 5 inversions (one of which is 38m tall)! Compared to Swarm (£20m); 38m tall, 775 m long and 5 inversions (tallest is 25-30m, or so). Although, Swarm does have lots of theming, which is why Thirteen was £15m, expensive for a mine train, if you ask me. ;)


Still £28m for what is essentially a bigger version of Infusion at BPB is a MASSIVE rip off and totally beyond belief for a park of their size and visitor numbers they get.

Their other Vekoma is hardly a thing of beauty either and I bet that wasn't cheap either.
 
Sam198
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 791
Joined: October 2012

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:21 pm

I'll have you know that the Millenium Coaster is by far the smoothest inverting Vekoma I've ever ridden. ;)

But as much as I'm enjoying this discussion, can we please get back on topic? kthx. 8)
 
XXBENNXX

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:50 pm

more than one person has stated these lifts are in a field elsewhere, someone go snap a picture of them so that people will know what type of lifts they are .... seems strange to store them offsite.
 
User avatar
Rollercoasters4Life
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 114
Joined: June 2011
Location: Crewe, Cheshire

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:54 pm

XXBENNXX wrote:
more than one person has stated these lifts are in a field elsewhere, someone go snap a picture of them so that people will know what type of lifts they are .... seems strange to store them offsite.


If they are stored in a field somewhere, no one knows exactly where - if you went looking for them then you could just be going on a wild goose chase.

No point going to look for them, just be patient and wait for them to be installed. Or, you can go out looking for them if you want?

:lol:
Image
 
Vladimir Bobinski
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 245
Joined: September 2011
Location: Warwickshire

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:17 pm

Mogga wrote:
M3tabolic wrote:
Trisnie wrote:

I am sorry as I suspect this may not be the place for this and I doubt it would happen with this coaster but has anyone ever build a coaster which after all the testing was so far off the spec it didn't work?


The best example I can think of is Maverick at Cedar Point. They had delay the opening to take out an inline twist because it was so intense it caused way too much stress to the track and wheel assemblies of the cars. There was also concern that the lateral Gs of the heartline would be dangerous for passengers.

For some reason it's now difficult to find pictures of this, but you can see it at about 3:25 in this video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBO6ExqKRwI

EDIT: A way better video of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guTTVVco1NA


Wasn't Jubilee Odyssy at fantasy island (ingoldmells) lowered because of stalling?  Not sure if that was just a rumour.  If so a clear example of one that didn't work. It still doesn't run in high winds or heavy rain they always close it.


Pretty much, it stalled through the cobra roll and horse shoe and was lowered a year after opening, it was a during 2009 testing period it stalled again.  I think they just changed the wheels in the end.

It would be my favorite coaster If went to visit it more often......and was open more reliably.

AndreJD wrote:
Trisnie wrote:
JonoD wrote:
RubyGaga wrote:
Sorry for what will seem to you all as a stupid question, but what do you mean when you say the bunny hops will be trimmed?
I dont speak fluent rollercoaster.. :oops:


'Trimming' is something that happens on pretty much all roller coasters after they're built. Basically, in pretty much all cases, the real roller coaster doesn't behave exactly as its found in simulations. In most cases, the ride will be traveling faster than the original designs predicted. To compensate for this, they install 'trims' along the track, which are basically very small brake sections that corrects the speed of the train to bring it closer to the original simulation.

So in this case, they may be installing one of these 'trims' on the bunny hop.


I am sorry as I suspect this may not be the place for this and I doubt it would happen with this coaster but has anyone ever build a coaster which after all the testing was so far off the spec it didn't work?


It's probably more accurate to say that the rides are designed to err on the side of faster, so to speak. You can slow a roller coaster down after you've built it, but you'll be hard pushed to speed it up - so it's good design practice to build it so it may be a few mph speedier than slower.

Somebody posted today or yesterday about Orphan Rocker, which coincidentally also answers your question about roller coasters which have just never worked: http://rcdb.com/1870.htm


It's also a lot easier to model it these days, some design bureau's just have it, some don't.
Last edited by Vladimir Bobinski on Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
ManiaMuse
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 26
Joined: September 2010

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:37 pm

Some manufacturers change wheel materials during testing as well as that can make quite a big difference to the speed.

I believe they changed the wheel material on Tatsu during testing because it was running too fast.
 
User avatar
Mogga
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 25
Joined: March 2013

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:41 pm

XXBENNXX wrote:
more than one person has stated these lifts are in a field elsewhere, someone go snap a picture of them so that people will know what type of lifts they are .... seems strange to store them offsite.


Can't you guy just get MI7 to fly in an 8 mile radius with some binoculars  ;)
 
User avatar
Rollercoasters4Life
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 114
Joined: June 2011
Location: Crewe, Cheshire

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:59 pm

Image
(Provided by TowersStreet)

Image
(Provided by TowersStreet)

Two images worth noting - the rest can be found here. They have now started to put up the supports after the first dive loop raising up into the second dive loop - these sections of track should be put up within the next day or two I would of thought. There is also another large crane on-site putting up walls for either the station or maintenance shed.

Nice to see them continuing on with construction.
Image
 
sully1311
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 108
Joined: July 2010

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:00 pm

ManiaMuse wrote:
Some manufacturers change wheel materials during testing as well as that can make quite a big difference to the speed.

I believe they changed the wheel material on Tatsu during testing because it was running too fast.


This is true, I've seen a documentary about it on Netflix.

(Sorry offtopic!)
 
djtidus
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 28
Joined: November 2012
Location: Wirral

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:05 pm

sully1311 wrote:
ManiaMuse wrote:
Some manufacturers change wheel materials during testing as well as that can make quite a big difference to the speed.

I believe they changed the wheel material on Tatsu during testing because it was running too fast.


This is true, I've seen a documentary about it on Netflix.

(Sorry offtopic!)


Can you remember what it was called?
 
Capt.Barnacles
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 715
Joined: November 2012
Location: Stoke-on-Trent

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:12 pm

Mogga wrote:
XXBENNXX wrote:
more than one person has stated these lifts are in a field elsewhere, someone go snap a picture of them so that people will know what type of lifts they are .... seems strange to store them offsite.


Can't you guy just get MI7 to fly in an 8 mile radius with some binoculars  ;)

You wouldn't need binoculars! If these lift hills are truly in one piece in a field you're not gonna miss them are you?
Image
Image
 
mattallennet
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 36
Joined: February 2013

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:14 pm

Funny to see Steve Foster cranes working on this, I remember seeing a Steve Foster crane working on Oblivion 16 years ago (1997 season!).
 
User avatar
ihavenoknees
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 67
Joined: December 2007

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:17 pm

djtidus wrote:
sully1311 wrote:
ManiaMuse wrote:
Some manufacturers change wheel materials during testing as well as that can make quite a big difference to the speed.

I believe they changed the wheel material on Tatsu during testing because it was running too fast.


This is true, I've seen a documentary about it on Netflix.

(Sorry offtopic!)


Can you remember what it was called?


Discovery - Megabuilders - 2.7 - Roller Coaster
see above[/i]
 
User avatar
clayj
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 224
Joined: October 2012
Location: Belfast but Newcastle originally

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:36 pm

Rollercoasters4Life wrote:
XXBENNXX wrote:
more than one person has stated these lifts are in a field elsewhere, someone go snap a picture of them so that people will know what type of lifts they are .... seems strange to store them offsite.


If they are stored in a field somewhere, no one knows exactly where - if you went looking for them then you could just be going on a wild goose chase.

No point going to look for them, just be patient and wait for them to be installed. Or, you can go out looking for them if you want?

:lol:


I can confirm that I've checked my back garden and they are not there... Neither were they in any of the fields I drive past onmy way home (Newtownabbey, County Antrim, Northern Ireland)
Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ
 
sully1311
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 108
Joined: July 2010

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:57 pm

ihavenoknees wrote:
djtidus wrote:
sully1311 wrote:
ManiaMuse wrote:
Some manufacturers change wheel materials during testing as well as that can make quite a big difference to the speed.

I believe they changed the wheel material on Tatsu during testing because it was running too fast.


This is true, I've seen a documentary about it on Netflix.

(Sorry offtopic!)


Can you remember what it was called?


Discovery - Megabuilders - 2.7 - Roller Coaster


That's the one!
 
User avatar
Joshysqaushy
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 427
Joined: December 2012
Location: Blackpool

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:30 pm

sully1311 wrote:
ihavenoknees wrote:
djtidus wrote:
sully1311 wrote:
ManiaMuse wrote:
Some manufacturers change wheel materials during testing as well as that can make quite a big difference to the speed.

I believe they changed the wheel material on Tatsu during testing because it was running too fast.


(Sorry offtopic!)

Can you remember what it was called?



Discovery - Megabuilders - 2.7 - Roller Coaster


That's the one!


cant seem to find it :(
Last edited by Joshysqaushy on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
DONCASTER ADVENTURE PARKS NEW COASTER
TRAILER: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-R-f-2wp74
UPDATES: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=37998&start=40

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 59 guests