UK theme parks from another point of view!

Danny

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:59 am

As posted on TST, the theming is now being added to the station:

I was hoping for some form of metal sheeting or something similar to cover the walls, but it seems like they're leaving them as bare concrete slabs. That's going to look awful a couple of years down the line...

Balb0wa
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:02 pm

It doesn't matter what Alton Towers do, some folk on here do nothing but moan, the rides not even finished yet.

Capt.Barnacles
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:05 pm

I agree with Danny. It looks very unprofessional. It's also gonna be freezing inside the building because there's nothing but bare concrete slabs separating you from the outside.

Zach
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:17 pm

Buschgardensfan wrote:
I agree with Danny. It looks very unprofessional. It's also gonna be freezing inside the building because there's nothing but bare concrete slabs separating you from the outside.

No,there be insulation and then an interior wall....one there going to theme it with paint and what not and two you'd have people picking at the concrete

simononestop
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:20 pm

this looks very close to me! any one else think.
with hands up going in to the vertical lift hill

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:23 pm

simononestop wrote:
this looks very close to me! any one else think.
with hands up going in to the vertical lift hill

The vertical lift hill won't start  really going vertical until nearer the end of the trench, if that makes sense. The train may connect onto the chain near where the track currently stops, so that it can be pulled along and gradually be pulled in a vertical direction.

jamjamz
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:27 pm

Balb0wa wrote:
It doesn't matter what Alton Towers do, some folk on here do nothing but moan, the rides not even finished yet.

#rant
Totally agree. Most people on here moan about how slow it's being built, moan how it looks without it even being finished and moan because they had to cut a piece of concrete away or take an inch off the top of the toilets. It's a construction site and having worked on them for the last 7 years, let me tell you now, all the projects I've worked on we have always come across challenges and obstacles which will slow down the process but will always overcome and get the job done.

And as for the bunny hop being put it backwards, who cares! They are only human and they fixed it straight away. The problem is most people on here think they know what they're on about but in reality haven't got a clue.
The Smiler will be finished on time, it will look a monster of a ride once you see it in person and the ride(I hope) will be one of the best in the world so just sit tight, stop the moaning and just take in what an animal of a rollercoaster has just landed on our doorstep.

I'll end my rant by saying well done to everyone who has and is still working on the smiler. Alton Towers have done us proud with this one. :D

Team Edit - Removed the unnecessary swearing and added correct grammar & punctuation ~ Danny
Last edited by jamjamz on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

simononestop
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:32 pm

yeah but that track has to cross back over the straight track, looking from the angle of it.

is this how its going to go???

it looks very close! may not be when you are on site but from this angle it looks like a close cross over, will be awsome!.

Danny

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:42 pm

This photo from ATG shows the vertical lift is still awaiting transport from the car parks down to the site:

And it looks like all the footers for the drop after the second inverted drop are ready to have supports set into them soon:

SonicChips
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:48 pm

simononestop wrote:
yeah but that track has to cross back over the straight track, looking from the angle of it.

it looks very close! may not be when you are on site but from this angle it looks like a close cross over, will be awsome!.

Maybe the ride will teleport onto the final brake run from this point - that's be a world first worth all the secrecy!

TheSmiler1998
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:50 pm

SonicChips wrote:
simononestop wrote:

Maybe the ride will teleport onto the final brake run from this point - that's be a world first worth all the secrecy!

Lol  :D love the ingenuity.
That the part that the chicken wire cage thingy-mabobby will be for (technical terms ftw)
@LukeSavidge1998 I follow back so hit follow button! #getcorrect #excited
We know what we are, we know what we are! Erm.... Europa League winners we know what we are! Doesn't have the same ring to it does it?

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:04 pm

The giggles tanks are being placed

SwEDEN
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:06 pm

Thrillmad wrote:
The giggles tanks are being placed

Any photos? (Appart from the one we have already received?)

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:26 pm

Being fixed on

Credit too TATG

Danny
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:34 pm

Other than theming of the marmaliser and station is there any construction going on today?

sasloopy
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:37 pm

Can't wait to get back to the site tomorrow, Lots of photos and videos from me  ;)

RollercoasterGEEK100
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:41 pm

Its coming along well. Lots is being done... I reckon they'll paint the smiler logo on the station but lets wait and see.v

Credit to NemesisRider

Ripsaw Raver
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:46 pm

i never thought id say this...but i actually have faith that alton wont fk this up, The Marmaliser is imposing and a sight to behold, the effort put into the sanctuary shows there ideas and the layout inperson when you arrive in x-sector is far bigger than you can imagine! Really wish i was back there today, didnt realise how clear my cam was haha.
EDIT
The View from up the hill outside the towers looking down to x-sector. It really shows its presence in the area.
P1020433 by Ripsaw97, on Flickr
Last edited by Ripsaw Raver on Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123

Ryan.
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:52 pm

Danny wrote:
As posted on TST, the theming is now being added to the station:

I was hoping for some form of metal sheeting or something similar to cover the walls, but it seems like they're leaving them as bare concrete slabs. That's going to look awful a couple of years down the line...

I think the concrete looks fine but I agree, given the amount of bare concrete around the site, this is probably going to take a fair bit of maintenance to keep it looking like it is now. I don't think exposed concrete is well suited to British weather.

Boz
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:54 pm

I suspect it won't stay like that, I would think it's likely that they will put cladding on it. no theme park in it's right mind would leave it looking like that, and as has been said, this coaster might be coming along quickly now, but it's no where near finished yet, I'll judge the finished article, when it's finished, and not before.