UK theme parks from another point of view!

SwEDEN
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:55 pm

Sorry to sound stupid, but what exactly is cladding?

Boz
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:57 pm

Similar to what is on the side of Oblivion's station building, the false wood that's been made to look like concrete panels, and metal panels/trims.
Search cladding under google images if you're still unsure, that will give you loads of examples :)

JonoD
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:02 pm

SwEDEN wrote:
Sorry to sound stupid, but what exactly is cladding?

'Cladding' is basically something they use to cover up parts of a building to either protect it or make it look more appealing. Oblivion's station is covered in the stuff:

Image from TowersNerd's opening day updates.
www.http://live.towersnerd.com/

Ryan.
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:04 pm

Just to add, its not a specific thing but a word to describe anything that masks the interior structure of a building i.e brickwork, wood, plastic panelling, glass... or in this case concrete panels...

spin_doctor
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:08 pm

I don't think it looks bad at all, with pipes all over it and smiler logos and other patterns painted on it like in the game, I think it will look pretty cool.

Ryan.
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:13 pm

spin_doctor wrote:
I don't think it looks bad at all, with pipes all over it and smiler logos and other patterns painted on it like in the game, I think it will look pretty cool.

I agree, but the danger is if they don't look after it, it could end up like this:

schmatt wrote:
Does make the concrete look awfully dirty though! However when the mist returns I'd imagine it should be covered, but the concrete surrounding the area still could do with a nice clean. Picture from CF

http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/the-smil ... hment/495/
Last edited by Ryan. on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anth88
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:18 pm

According to the plans AT submitted it looks like if will be left as weathered concrete thats kinda looks abandoned

spin_doctor
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:20 pm

Ryan. wrote:
spin_doctor wrote:

I agree, but the danger is if they don't look after it, it could end up like this:

schmatt wrote:
Does make the concrete look awfully dirty though! However when the mist returns I'd imagine it should be covered, but the concrete surrounding the area still could do with a nice clean. Picture from CF

http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/the-smil ... hment/495/

Very true although I think the deterioration of that concrete is accelerated by the steam as the concrete in the surrounding area unaffected by steam is not in as bad condition. Perhaps they will add cladding but I have a feeling that they won't although they probably should.

SwEDEN
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:21 pm

Anth88 wrote:
According to the plans AT submitted it looks like if will be left as weathered concrete thats kinda looks abandoned

Alton towers have released plans for the station before the whole smiler theming was thought up, I can ensure you that the station plans that you have seen will not end up looking like the actual finished station, the only hint as to what the station will look like can be found in THE SMILER game!

Rollercoasters4Life
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:31 pm

Just uploaded, shows work still going on near the first lift hill and around the trench. Both cranes on from the access road so some lifting of supports/track should start soon, probably tomorrow.

(Thanks to Alton Towers Guide Facebook)
Last edited by Rollercoasters4Life on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clayj
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:07 pm

clayj wrote:
Boz wrote:
I think that tall one, is for the 2nd inverted drop ;)

I thought that, but it looks to be the wrong angle for the track that we can see in the picture so i thought the 2nd inverted drop would sit on the footer too the right ???

Pure speculation, if the taller support was for the final turnaround, wouldnt it be great if it was an extremely banked final turn, technically a cutback lol

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ

Boz
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:12 pm

I see what you're saying ClayJ, but you will notice that there is a lower footer position just inside the curve radius you've drawn, that I suspect is the footer for that corner. I believe the radius will be much tighter than how you've drawn it in that image, and also be a bit lower than the break run, rising into it.

paulturner1974
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:14 pm

a lot of post earlier about it but it does look very close beteen last turn and first lift track !!

gouldy
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:35 pm

paulturner1974 wrote:
a lot of post earlier about it but it does look very close beteen last turn and first lift track !!

I really don't think it does look all that close.  It does in some photos, thanks to perspective, and the fact that the vertical lift hasn't been installed yet.  But in actuality; that certainly won't be the closest track to track near miss on the ride.

JayJay90
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:46 pm

From the pictures of the station, I think at the moment I'm a bit 50/50 on it but Im going to wait for it to be finished to then state my judgement. I think its mostly because i really loved the old derelict abandoned hospital with all the windows etc. At the moment I'm thinking meh, its looking like a concrete block! but ill wait until its finished and see once theyve got all theming on it :) secondly because when i first saw the marmaliser, i thought it was a bit bare and didnt dominate, its now nearly complete and its is fantastic and i love it :) I have faith :D

vicx_100
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:08 pm

We went yesterday and the track for Smiler is not even completed! There is still a fair amount of track to be seen in the storage area as you walk from the Park to the car park! I cannot see it being ready for May! I hope it is, but as somebody else has pointed out - there needs to be a lot of hours testing before it can be opened!

RollercoasterGEEK100
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:11 pm

As long as they get it open on time im fine even though im bit skeptical about the station but ill have to wait and see.

Credit to NemesisRider

tigzie1
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:45 pm

Random but... any chance of another inversion before the brake system?
AT still havn't released the number of inversions on the coaster yet!
The closeness to the other bits of track suggest a final half corkscrew/barrel roll.

JayJay90
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:45 pm

vicx_100 wrote:
We went yesterday and the track for Smiler is not even completed! There is still a fair amount of track to be seen in the storage area as you walk from the Park to the car park! I cannot see it being ready for May! I hope it is, but as somebody else has pointed out - there needs to be a lot of hours testing before it can be opened!

It wont take long to complete the remainder of the track, be about 2 weeks? that takes us up to 23rd april. Then they have to wire the whole thing up like the chains on lifts, sensors on track, the marmaliser etc etc Im not sure how long that takes but say it takes a week we get to 30th april. Then they will have to test the ride which is 200 hours or something around that. If they did that 9 hours a day it would take around 3 weeks and in the mean time do all the work in the station and landscaping meaning they could open up in the last week of may.

Im no expert or anything so please by all means correct me if im wrong im just making a guess :)

TomL
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:02 pm

Rollercoasters4Life wrote:
Just uploaded, shows work still going on near the first lift hill and around the trench. Both cranes on from the access road so some lifting of supports/track should start soon, probably tomorrow.

(Thanks to Alton Towers Guide Facebook)

At the back of this picture it looks like they are installing transfer track mechanisms