UK theme parks from another point of view!

joelpagett
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:18 am

Morning all,

Was at Alton Towers yesterday and its the first time I have seen The Smiler up close, it is HUGE! Cannot wait for this to be opened! Here are some pictures from yesterday.

Whilst eating lunch in Fried Chicken Company (which we also won for free due to the red button challange!) we saw Barney from Blue Peter who was on site!

The rest of the photos are on my Facebook [url=http://www.facebook.com/themeparkmedia]here

jbuckton18
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:35 am

joelpagett wrote:
Morning all,

Was at Alton Towers yesterday and its the first time I have seen The Smiler up close, it is HUGE! Cannot wait for this to be opened! Here are some pictures from yesterday.

Whilst eating lunch in Fried Chicken Company (which we also won for free due to the red button challange!) we saw Barney from Blue Peter who was on site!

The rest of the photos are on my Facebook [url=http://www.facebook.com/themeparkmedia]here

Great pics !! Cant help but notice that the vertical lift looks strange ? The shape or design just look strange compared to most coasters with a v lift ! It's probably just me or it's probably nothing out of the ordinary for gersh coasters but i dunno .. to me it looks strange ? Any one else think this ? or do i need to make a trip to specsavers today?? :/
Some say they've seen angels, Ive seen The Smiler - That's enough

joelpagett
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:54 am

Great pics !! Cant help but notice that the vertical lift looks strange ? The shape or design just look strange compared to most coasters with a v lift ! It's probably just me or it's probably nothing out of the ordinary for gersh coasters but i dunno .. to me it looks strange ? Any one else think this ? or do i need to make a trip to specsavers today?? :/

I know what you mean! The lift hill does not look like a normal lift hill, most coasters of the same calibre don't have metal fins all up the lift hill?!

jbuckton18
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:59 am

joelpagett wrote:

I know what you mean! The lift hill does not look like a normal lift hill, most coasters of the same calibre don't have metal fins all up the lift hill?!

Strange ! Unless something does go on during the Vertical lift hill during the ride ! Only time will tell but it doesn't look like your average v lift !

Evostance
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:06 am

Guys,  go back for several pages.  The lift hill and fins has been discussed at great length.  Let's not get into that again

jbuckton18
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:13 am

Evostance wrote:
Guys,  go back for several pages.  The lift hill and fins has been discussed at great length.  Let's not get into that again

I wasnt 'getting back into it' i know we discussed it several pages back BUT i just stated that the v lift had a strange look to the design/shape .. that's all !

Forza_Dan24
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:15 am

jbuckton18 wrote:
Evostance wrote:

I wasnt 'getting back into it' i know we discussed it several pages back BUT i just stated that the v lift had a strange look to the design/shape .. that's all !

Maybe it's just because we're used to seeing a gerst v lift mounted to a box-like framework instead of normal supports? I dunno. Anyway looking forward to any reports of construction progress today :)
Smile. Always. :moj
Big thanks to lewis97 for the signature!

aircanman
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:29 am

Also, as this is in the construction phase, the fins are out like that so they can be fitted. When they press the big on button, one of the first things that will happen is they will go in.

owenjohn
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:53 pm

aircanman wrote:
Also, as this is in the construction phase, the fins are out like that so they can be fitted. When they press the big on button, one of the first things that will happen is they will go in.

Not convinced at that statement!, have a look at this link

There are 2 lots of fins permenantly up, and retractable. The section of track is from Speed at oakwood, notice how the actuators to control the movement of the retractable fins are mounted differently to the ones on the lift hill on the Smiler. I don't think the fins will retract as they appear to be the permenantly placed ones.

I don't think  the train will drop backwards on the lift, I believe the fins exist purley as a safety feature!

SonicChips
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:57 pm

I'm not entirely sure this is te correct thread for this, so if I have posted erroneously I apologise - this could lead to premature correctionalisation!

Anyway, this jigger about the duelling aspect of the ride.......... Is it confirmed or just a commonly used idea and accepted aspect the ride? Looking at it, I support the notion; always assuming that there's approprite timing of two trains getting to the top of each lift hill at the same time. There has been much talk of fins on Vertical Bob - could these be to assist such timings...?

If you feel compelled to reply to this, please (I beg of ya) try to keep talk of fins to a minimum. Yes, I have mentioned them, but only in support of my main point or question. I've read too much about fins the last 48 hours, so I'm off to buy a new fish then give a lecture to some delegates about fins - so thanks! (Please read the word "thanks" with as much sarcasm and facetiousness as you can muster.)

Luce
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:08 pm

I'll certainly keep talk of fins to a minimum even though it is a curious subject in regard to The Smiler.  Anyway, from the looks of all the pictures, construction appears to be moving at a quick pace and it would be nice if the whole track layout was completed in the next few days.
Last edited by Luce on Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JayJay90
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:28 pm

Canvas' have gone down :D certainly shows us what this is going to be like when its finished! all open and fantastic :D Im on the park tomorrow so Im desperately hoping these are going to stay down :D

Credit to Alton owners guide facebook
Last edited by JayJay90 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aircanman
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:38 pm

JayJay90 wrote:
Canvas' have gone down :D certainly shows us what this is going to be like when its finished! all open and fantastic :D Im on the park tomorrow so Im desperately hoping these are going to stay down :D

Gonna pop in today and have a look, they were up yesterday.

Andzdrew
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:37 pm

I can see the safety bulletin from gerstlauer now... "we've had lots of reports of whiplash caused by the trains accidentally falling back down our vertical lifts... From now on it's highly recommended we install magnetic brakes to slow the trains nicely when this happens" Alton towers response: sounds like great fun, can you make the train drop every time?  :roll:

Morgano
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:43 pm

You can see the construction workers in the background either taking it down or putting it back up. I'm guessing they are putting it back up?

coastercrazy18
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:50 pm

seeing as they are recently doing work on the station I wonder what type of sound effects will be in the station when the carriage leaves and go's into the inside drop area?
its always good to go to the dentist so you can get a better smile :D

snakey904
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:17 pm

I am in this picture why didn't you say hello jayjay

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:37 pm

snakey904 wrote:

I am in this picture why didn't you say hello jayjay

Are you the ne with the smiler hoodie on?

snakey904
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:41 pm

yes I am thrillmad I was bored so that's why I came home early

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:42 pm

snakey904 wrote: