UK theme parks from another point of view!

MatthewR1990
TT Member
TT Member

Re: X Sector Refurbishment

Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:22 pm

James97 wrote:
tleady wrote:
This has just appeared online:

the fact they have taken it down would make me think there is something in it we arn't supposed to see, does anyone know what the black thing is on the ground, look through the railings on the left.

I'm not exactly sure what it is/used for but it's the platform type thing under the track just before the drop. You can see it here..

West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.

astralAndy
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:23 pm

I dont get this. It's well known that  Oblivion is getting a repaint etc, Alton have said it themselves. There's no surprise being ruined, it's just some paint.

TomL
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:24 pm

Yep, I think it contains a motor and a few hydraulics and a ladder, there is a whole platform under the drop mechanism

Kenzie2012
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:30 pm

Although greatly off topic - I'm sure the Team will allow me this statement.

lewis97 wrote:
rhino18 wrote:
lewis97 wrote:
Oh dear, it seems as though that lovely picture of a repainted Oblivion, shouldn't have been posted online... But anyway we saw it, and now any trace of it has vanished... :/ I did wonder how an unofficial source could have gained access to that photo, seeing as they'd need access to the park and be allowed up Oblivion's lift hill!

Why shouldn't it have been posted online? It's not like they're showing us every little aspect of the ride's repaint are they? AT probably took it.

I'm not too certain on the reasons. I read, what I wrote, on TS, although I think it was something to do with not getting the correct copyright permissions. Anyway, the people who originally posted the image (it wasn't Towers2Go), have taken it down from their facebook.

This is precisely the thing needed to show the great lengths that TTF, The Team and MI7 are going to when it comes to posting aerial and general updates at the moment. Their constant communication with The Resort and Merlin is building a brilliant relationship and unlike other fan based forums and pages, an astounding amount of time and effort is going into keeping all parties happy!
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”

Danny

Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:37 pm

This is the message we had with regards to the image posted earlier today:

hello towerstimes. unfortunately due to security purposes, the picture of **** wall of oblivion must not be linked to any external page anymore. the person who provided us with the image could be in danger of the sack if it becomes widely available

Hope that clears some things up for you all  :)
Last edited by Danny on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LPAJ13
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:37 pm

In that image, there is a lot of construction with smiler on the go... seems very little vertical though.
Its not what ya take out that works, its what you put in that makes it work

Hmv
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:59 pm

rhino18 wrote:
Hmv wrote:
James97 wrote:
I wonder if nemesis is going to be removed soon, they really are just leaving it to rot.  :(

Nemesis will not get removed although I can see it being shut for a year for a overhaul, but it's a while away yet maybe 5 or 6 years.

I'm confused. Do you mean in 5-6 years, it will have an overhaul, or be removed? If you mean the latter....

It will last alot longer than that. It's a B&M, for crying out loud. 5 years will mean Nemesis will be 24 yrs old - less than the Deathtrap (aka Corkscrew). That was an off-the-shelf Vekoma. Nemesis is a B&M, it's built to last. The 'rusting' on the track is special effects designed by Tussauds Studios, to give the illusion of rust. Nemesis does not need a repaint and the station is fine.

I'm not saying nemesis needs a repaint, what I am saying is that possibly in 5-6years it will need an overhaul i.e. new cars, new full lift hill (seems to be a weakness on b and m coasters nemesis has had a lot of problems with this), track fully integrity tested and any welding done. I understand the rust on the track is an effect and it suits the ride, nemesis would look awful without it and I think rides like the swarm should have been done with the same effect.

ShadowTD
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:17 pm

What's that wrapped up in black bin bags in the top left?  Could it be some new speakers and the return of the drop announcement?

Sam198
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:20 pm

ShadowTD wrote:
What's that wrapped up in black bin bags in the top left?  Could it be some new speakers and the return of the drop announcement?

It's a security camera. Exceptional thinking though! :D

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:48 am

ShadowTD wrote:

This is what is needed! Along with the holding drop at 3 second not 1  :?

aldredd
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:37 am

thillmad wrote:
ShadowTD wrote:

Didn't they have to / agree to take it down due to the noise it created from the passengers on the ride? In which case, can't see it coming back tbh

Boz
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:51 am

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere, that merlin have stated in the past, that the noise abatement order, was issued against Tussauds, and therefore, only applicable to them. Merlin have technically never been given an abatement order, and therefore don't need to comply.
I believe this is why concerts and fireworks have made such a strong comeback in recent years.
Merlin did however state that it is not their intention to make lives hell for the locals though, so would do their utmost to respect the lives of the locals.
That said, I am going by info I think I heard, around 3-4 years ago.
If I'm right though, I wouldn't rule it out.
Last edited by Boz on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:10 am

Boz wrote:
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere, that merlin have stated in the past, that the noise abatement order, was issued against Tussauds, and therefore, only applicable to them. Merlin have technically never been given an abatement order, and therefore don't need to comply.
I believe this is why concerts and fireworks have made such a strong comeback in recent years.
Merlin did however state that it is not their intention to make lives hell for the locals though, so would do their utmost to respect the lives of the locals.
That said, I am going by info I think I heard, around 3-4 years ago.
If I'm right though, I wouldn't rule it out.

I wonder how long it would be before our 2 favorite residents would be heard of again.........

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D

Ripsaw Raver
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:49 am

as my bf says.." Oh,Dont Open That Old Wound!" :evil:
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123

nodestinyx
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:23 am

Why don't they invest the money into fitting the speakers inside the coaster karts for oblivion, playing the sounds or whatever loud enough for the passengers riding the train to hear but not loud enough for anyone else to hear? it makes sense to do this as far as i am concerned.

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:27 am

I know it would never happen but what i would really love for oblivion which would make it an even greater ride would for it to have several catches... for example as it goes over the edge there would be speakers in the headrests (nodestinyx) and it would say "don't" as it went over.... catches you... drops another few inches in 1 jolt "look", another small jolt "down" releases them into oblivion :D and have about a second's pause at each one (thillmad)

EDIT: Only reason i thought of this idea is because out of all of Th13teen my favourite bit by far is the initial 6 inch drop with the air cannons.... i think that is better than the drop itself.... but maybe thats just me XD
Last edited by Phild94 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D

astralAndy
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:46 am

thillmad wrote:
ShadowTD wrote:

When I last went in early autumn I was checking the time of the hold and it seemed around 2 secs, seemed to vary though (unless it was my imagination!). Went on it a couple of times but was also checking the hold and drop the whole time we were queuing.
Does anyone know if it does vary from drop to drop a bit?

Anyhow, I'd like to see it average around 3 seconds too. And the 'Dont Look Down' would be great, but I'm guessing Merlin wont want to be pushing their luck at this point. I've always thought that they could've just turned the volume down a bit rather than getting rid as it was never really a booming voice anyway, but then someone pointed out it was likely the extra screaming that the spoken phrase induced which annoyed certain locals rather than the voice itself. I think because it's high up and exposed the screams travel much further than from other rides, but another thing I noticed when I was last there was that people still seem to be screaming their lungs out on the hold/drop so not sure whether taking out the Voice really made much difference!

djtidus
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:22 pm

I have just phoned the park booking line as I have a hotel booked for late march. I asked the booking agent will X-sector be open from March or from the opening of the Smiler. She said that they don't think X-sector will be open until the Smiler opens. So looks like no oblivion until May :(

electricBlll_Returns
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:27 pm

Boz wrote:
The way I understand it, Merlin merged with Tussaudes in 2007, so they are now one and the same company, in which case the order may still apply.

However, I see little reason why Alton Towers should stick with this rule. It's so obviously not true that a sound effect saying "Don't look down" was encouraging all the screaming. Er, what about the enormous vertical drop, didn't they think maybe that was the cause?! By removing the speaker they probably made no difference to noise levels whatsoever, unless it was the sound effect itself that the Ropers were hearing.

Anyway, it's a silly rule that has only meant the loss of a cool sound effect. They should find a way to bring it back, I think, and 2013 is the perfect opportunity.

DannyNewbro
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:45 pm

The holding point on Oblivion does vary depending on how busy the ride is.