UK theme parks from another point of view!

Ripsaw Raver
TT Member
TT Member

Re: X Sector Refurbishment

Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:51 pm

i have seem to realise that the first and 3rd car station wise seem to wait longer than the 2nd and 4th,  always assumed this was a combination of bad blocking and a worn out clutch. I never believed that the clutch timing could be automated
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123

scw55
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:59 pm

The overall effect I'm sure made for a thrilling ride. As you wouldn't know how long you'd be held for.

I'm doubtful the voice-effect caused excessive screaming.
I watched tens of cars tip over the edge when I went on a school trip (long story as to way I was sitting in the viewing pit) and quite often the riders did scream when they went onto the hatch. Fear that they'd go straight over or just the shock? But yes, when they actually went down, the sound was very significant. I doubt it was because they screamed louder, it sounded like the sound was being amplified by something.

Hitch
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:09 pm

This is a little of topic but does anyone know why there are white squares at the top of the track, Ive always wondered ?

jamesair
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:24 pm

James97 wrote:
This is a little of topic but does anyone know why there are white squares at the top of the track, Ive always wondered ?

I assume they are reflectors, so the on camera knows when the shuttle is passing (for on ride photos).

TomL
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:07 pm

electricBlll_Returns wrote:
Boz wrote:
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere, that merlin have stated in the past, that the noise abatement order, was issued against Tussauds, and therefore, only applicable to them. Merlin have technically never been given an abatement order, and therefore don't need to comply.
The way I understand it, Merlin merged with Tussaudes in 2007, so they are now one and the same company, in which case the order may still apply.

However, I see little reason why Alton Towers should stick with this rule. It's so obviously not true that a sound effect saying "Don't look down" was encouraging all the screaming. Er, what about the enormous vertical drop, didn't they think maybe that was the cause?! By removing the speaker they probably made no difference to noise levels whatsoever, unless it was the sound effect itself that the Ropers were hearing.

Anyway, it's a silly rule that has only meant the loss of a cool sound effect. They should find a way to bring it back, I think, and 2013 is the perfect opportunity.

Just clearing this up!:
Tussuads was bought by a company called DIC (if my memory serves me correct) and that company has leased AT on a 35 year lease, so the noise order was for tussuads and not for DIC or Merlin...

About that Idea before about little speekers in the seats... I think this could work if a few speakers were plotteed behind a couple of seats and it whispered in your ear 'don't look down' like on the advert it would be quite good :)

spin_doctor
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:11 pm

James97 wrote:

Arn't these square's cut out of the track? I'm pretty sure they are holes as opposed to white squares stuck on the track, Look from certain angles and you can see. No idea what they are for.

TheNigeC
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:19 pm

spin_doctor wrote:
James97 wrote:

Arn't these square's cut out of the track? I'm pretty sure they are holes as opposed to white squares stuck on the track, Look from certain angles and you can see. No idea what they are for.

i see where youre coming from. but surely the 2 top holes would be slightly darker as they are in the shadow of the car as its over the top of them.
I Could live on Nemesis! I want to travel the world visiting all the best Theme Parks!

FACEBOOK TWITTER INSTAGRAM [img]http://TUMBLR YOUTUBE

CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY PAGE ON FACEBOOK

Hitch
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:24 pm

TheNigeC wrote:
spin_doctor wrote:
James97 wrote:

i see where youre coming from. but surely the 2 top holes would be slightly darker as they are in the shadow of the car as its over the top of them.

There defiantly not holes they do look like reflectors and I think he was right about the camera detecting the cars when they go over these.

electricBlll_Returns
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:28 pm

Correct, they are reflectors for the camera. Nemesis and Air also have these on their respective photo points.

Ripsaw does too, although it doesn't have a camera anymore!

temleh
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:32 pm

Sorry to risk going off-topic here but, why do some of Oblivion's trains lack the logo on the front car? It's something i've noticed and always wondered why the orange logo was missing on a couple of trains.
Follow me on Instagram! @v05mattclay

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:24 pm

Does anyone know how they getting on with the Painting?

Danny

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:48 pm

Assuming that they started last week, they are probably 1/4 of the way through the repaint.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:45 am

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:
Does anyone know how they getting on with the Painting?

Look on page twelve of this topic  :D

samham
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:41 pm

nodestinyx wrote:
Why don't they invest the money into fitting the speakers inside the coaster karts for oblivion, playing the sounds or whatever loud enough for the passengers riding the train to hear but not loud enough for anyone else to hear? it makes sense to do this as far as i am concerned.

"Don't Look Down" was said whilst the Oblivion car was held before plunging. It made riders scream and the locals complained because of the screaming, so Tussauds decided to remove this audio effect. I remember finding this information years ago so it may be incorrect.

spin_doctor
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:50 am

As was mentioned, I dont think the screaming is any less to this day, sound effect or no sound effect. And if I remember correctly, the bass on that sound effect was pretty crazy. Even though you couldnt always distinguish the exact words, the sound was quite distinct from far away. Particularly the word 'Don't'. As already mentioned, it would have made a lot more sense to turn it to a volume where only the people hanging on the edge could hear it.

tharrison4815
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:03 am

spin_doctor wrote:
As was mentioned, I dont think the screaming is any less to this day, sound effect or no sound effect. And if I remember correctly, the bass on that sound effect was pretty crazy. Even though you couldnt always distinguish the exact words, the sound was quite distinct from far away. Particularly the word 'Don't'. As already mentioned, it would have made a lot more sense to turn it to a volume where only the people hanging on the edge could hear it.
I suppose they could have speakers near your head on each seat on the cars, I'm not sure how easy it would be to power them though.

ponder
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:00 am

B&M have managed it on Hulk and Bizarro, so I wouldn't have thought it'd be difficult in that sense. However, it'd cost Merlin quite a bit of money to have audio fitted on all of the shuttles, something which I highly doubt they'd consider good value for an effect that probably only enthusiasts notice is missing. Which is a shame.

Loop - Roller coaster and Theme Park inspired T-shirts
http://looptees.com / https://www.facebook.com/looptps

Wildboy
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:58 am

I would have thought to repaint Oblivion, they would have electrically charged the paint in the same way that they spray cars. It would have been so much quicker than using a brush.
Enjoying Rollercoasters as part of a healthy balanced diet since 1983

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:12 am

Wildboy wrote:
I would have thought to repaint Oblivion, they would have electrically charged the paint in the same way that they spray cars. It would have been so much quicker than using a brush.

I don't know for sure, however, I wouldn't be too surprised if the last coat of paint they put on it was non conductive to reduce any likelihood of lightening strikes making it impossible to respray the whole thing with electrostatic paint unless this undercoat was entirely stripped away first which would have probably taken longer in the long run

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D

TheNigeC
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:06 pm

Wildboy wrote:

i wouldnt think they would use that painting technique. As the whole structure is metal. meaning ALOT of safety would have to be taken, and its also outdoor. Using a spray gun in the wind is like trying to not :censored: on yourself in the wind...
I Could live on Nemesis! I want to travel the world visiting all the best Theme Parks!

FACEBOOK TWITTER INSTAGRAM [img]http://TUMBLR YOUTUBE

CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY PAGE ON FACEBOOK