UK theme parks from another point of view!

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Marketing [May Contain Spoilers]

Thu May 02, 2013 11:27 am

MatthewR1990 wrote:
HERE WE GO, PROOF THEY ARE REAL
Alton towers official twitter account has linked the video...

@altontowers: We have been made aware of this video - watch it and let us know if you have any ideas or information to share  http://t.co/dnFCH8p0wt

11:17 2/5/13

Should of made that bet earlier...

I suppose that confirms that then ... i must say the video itself was pretty dreadful and didnt seem finished at all and you could tell they were actors, however maybe this is what AT was aiming for ....

How about the "uni students" aren't actually uni students they are trying to infiltrate his new facility at AT and get trapped in doing so .... maybe her mum was a patient at the sanctuary (possibly explaining the resemblance between her and the "not official" advert we say ages ago) and they are trying to find out what happened but are covering up their real identities with this massive back story......

Just an idea anyway :/

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D

bbooth2
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 02, 2013 11:43 am

We have been made aware of this video?? to me that doesn't sound like they were in on it haha

dazza4783
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 02, 2013 11:50 am

altontowersbarlow wrote:
The girl does look like the creepy girl off that other smiler video Compare the two This is the other advert link.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUFWBN9xSIQ :D

Looks like the same person to me. I'm going to assume TBWA Manchester are behind this.

MatthewR1990
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 02, 2013 11:52 am

bbooth2 wrote:
We have been made aware of this video?? to me that doesn't sound like they were in on it haha

We know that Alton Towers are normally very quick to respond to fake videos. They will let us know one way or another if they are fake. The fact this has got so much detail, a full back story and is now being linked to AND replied to by Alton's official medium is a very big sign that it is real. They have even re-uploaded the video to their official Youtube account. It is all clever marketing.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.

Morgano
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 02, 2013 11:55 am

bbooth2 wrote:

Oh come on... seriously? If it wasn't their video they wouldn't have uploaded it to their official Youtube, that would be copyright infringement.
Last edited by Morgano on Thu May 02, 2013 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

bbooth2
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 02, 2013 11:58 am

im just being a novice, just think its a terrible video if im honest and im pretty disappointed :/

on a lighter note, im sure they have something that's acctualy good for the advert :D so ill look forward to that

MatthewR1990
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 02, 2013 12:05 pm

bbooth2 wrote:
im just being a novice, just think its a terrible video if im honest and im pretty disappointed :/

on a lighter note, im sure they have something that's acctualy good for the advert :D so ill look forward to that

I hope they summarise this video and future videos into the advert.

In the voice of that film voice over guy*
"TWO university students innocently interviewing an author, stumble upon tapes that show testing of unsuspecting victims in the past. After delving deeper they realise they have stumbled upon a much bigger plan to make the public comform to his ways. CAN they escape and warn the public? Or will we smile...ALWAYS" Kick in with big ass drum and base towers theme with shots of the smiler! fimsih with the towers logo :P

Lmao my imagination went wild. I need to share it.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.

samtummo
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 02, 2013 12:06 pm

In my opinion this is 100% the work of Alton Towers and their marketing department.

Viral marketing, by its very nature, is supposed to increase brand awareness and create a 'buzz' by using social network sites such as Facebook, Youtube, Twitter etc.

The viral message is supposed to be passed along by being posted and talked about on said social network platforms. Exactly what is happening right here.

One of the main ploys of a viral campaign is to leave the reader or the viewer unsure of the content and where it has come from. Dropping subtle hints of the product the marketing company plan to raise awareness of. The 'not knowing' only creates discussion - exactly what AT would of set out to achieve.

Those questioning the quality of the production, acting etc. are missing the point completely.

This is of course just my opinion, and I could still be wrong - but I very much doubt it ;-)

Interested to see the next instalment
Last edited by samtummo on Thu May 02, 2013 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bbooth2
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 02, 2013 12:09 pm

I think I was just overly looking forward to seeing doctor kelman,

im imagining an advert of him sat on a chair in a dark room making a speech similar to the one in the sanctuary, whilst the camera zooms closer you get the odd glitchy snapshots of the smiler and a spinning 360 degree view of the marmaliser in full effect, then finishing with the smiler logo and the alton towers logo etc.

Bexbunce
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 02, 2013 12:25 pm

It does say part 1, so the story is in finished. I think it is great, the acting isn't meant to be great as they are suppose to be students. I would take a guess that when the final part comes out, we will then start to see adverts on the TV.

The story will grow and I am sure we will get to meet dr kelman and go into a scary looking hospital, so People don't wet your pants, more is to come I'm sure

samtummo
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 02, 2013 12:34 pm

As another nod towards viral marketing... Trisha White is an anagram of SHARE IT WITH

Tom_Jephson
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 02, 2013 1:34 pm

Alton towers have responded to the video on twitter saying "We have been made aware of this video - watch it and let us know if you have any ideas or information to share"
In the past they have said straight away if it was fake or not, so, seen as they have been very vague here, i'd say its the real deal.
For a better start in life, start smiling earlier!

AndreJD
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 02, 2013 1:55 pm

I can't believe anyone is in any doubt about whether AT is involved. It was obvious before they linked to it themselves, now it's self-evident. Over the next few weeks they'll drip out parts 2 and 3, and in the end it'll be revealed that the new ride at Alton Towers is part of this nefarious project from the MOJ. Hopefully there'll be enough steam behind the campaign that it'll generate some wider buzz for The Smiler, but these viral campaigns can be hit and miss.

C0RR3CTED1
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 02, 2013 3:37 pm

I actually love that video! Great little bit of marketing :) To the people who are saying that it looks too amateurish to be real, I think that's really what they were hoping it to look like, if you've got a main character 'Trish' claiming she's doing the whole thing in aid of coursework for uni, of course it's going to have an unprofessional look about it, they wasn't doing it for the video as such, it was done for the interview and proof that it occurred! Also, it's something that nobody was expecting right? many people were thinking or hoping for videos set in an asylum or some place similar whilst this video has completely thrown us off and along with the little clues throughout, it's got us thinking! That's what AT would want, of course they wouldn't go down the simple route of what's expected. Also liking the interaction with the GP on twitter, what better way to spread the hype/spread clues than on twitter!.. Then of course there is Miles Cedars, loved how the actor portrayed him in the vid, certainly set him off to be very creepy and quite frankly unhinged! and I love the idea of him being 'the smiler' himself, the one who is behind it all, the testing etc, which seems probable due to the finding of the tapes. Great stuff, it's mysterious, just like everything surrounding this ride has been from the very beginning  :D

Gax
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 02, 2013 4:03 pm

This is a fantastic piece of marketing! Really impressive stuff.

bbooth2
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 02, 2013 4:20 pm

I guess im the only one who doesn't like it then :P

thought the one of the girl on the chair was brilliant

epicV3N0M
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 02, 2013 4:21 pm

This morning we were made aware of this footage by fans on the Official Alton Towers Resort Twitter and Facebook pages. People have suggested the video has some connection with the new ride for 2013 at Alton Towers Resort - The Smiler.

We are very inteested to know more. Do you know Trisha, Dan or Miles? Have you got any clue as to what is going on?

-Youtube description

Its so obviously them, or they have paid for the use of this fan-made film. They would deny it straight away otherwise, and the way they are denying it is odd. Bring on part 2  8)
For some things there is no rational explanation. There is no way out. *stares at EXIT sign*

Brazilian13Guy
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 02, 2013 5:33 pm

Come on guys, a 'fan-made' video won't reproduce the marmalised face so perfectly like Alton made with Aston,  and won't reproduce a perfect scenery with those spooky house and optical illusions on the walls. Of course this video involves Alton Towers and their marketing.

Richardio123
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 02, 2013 6:33 pm

Maybe that first video we saw a couple months back in the asylum still could be part of this whole viral thing. Maybe she becomes one of miles cedars test subjects ?

Just a thought :)
Signature Pending.. ;D

rossdeadmanz
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 02, 2013 6:39 pm

Richardio123 wrote:
Maybe that first video we saw a couple months back in the asylum still could be part of this whole viral thing. Maybe she becomes one of miles cedars test subjects ?

Just a thought :)

I think you're onto something there!