UK theme parks from another point of view!

TenZero
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:31 pm

"Matt 125" wrote:
Apparently Dragon's Fury is still down according to Southparks... even though the official website only states Dragon's Falls, Seastorm and Rameses Revenge as being down.. :?

Matt :D

Fury ran for a short period today. Don't know any more about it though.

Mattmills
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:52 am

'Due to technical difficulties Dragons Fury is currently ubavailable.' - its down again lol, but nice to see that they can spell!!

Matt 125
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:48 am

They've changed the spelling now. :P

Really bad, five rides down. Three major ones... can see queues being long this weekend!

altontowerskid
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:23 am

Yer i was planning on doing a Thorpe and Chessy day, half and half but now i think i'll miss out the Chessy bit. I do Love Chessy, but to be honest this isn't looking good, many of their best rides down, in the school holidays and easter weekend, i can see them having to give out lots of free tickets.

X-factor
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:05 pm

am going to chessy tomorrow, but with dragons fury, bash street bus, dragon falls, sea storm, and revenge closed, sounds pretty hopeful. lol, and what's with this chessy challenge? anyone tell me if it is any busier cause of that?

X-factor
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:56 pm

i was at chessy today, and i've got to say, they have improved since yesterday. to start with, revenge was open (one of my fave rides) so i was glad about that. most of the rides were going all day, there were 2 15 min breakdowns, one on dragons fury, and the other on vampire. dragon falls was still shut, and looks that way for a long time. apart from that, i had a grate day, and really enjoyed myself. there were a few miserable members of staff, but that's to be expected anywhere

Matt 125
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:26 am

"X-factor" wrote:
revenge was open

Good to hear, what has changed on it?

And also glad that Dragon's Fury is back open! :)

EDIT: Chessies Website now says:

'PLEASE NOTE: Seastorm will be unavailable until further notice whilst we extensively refurbish the fun.'

Does that mean Dragon's Falls is now open? :| Seems unlikely!

rctom
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:01 pm

i was there 2 days ago on thursday and Rameses Revenge opened about midday. diddnt realy seem to be much different, i think it had a lick of paint done though. the sea storm ride thingy seemed to be open as well :) . o and dragon falls was closed the whole day. had workers in the splashdown pit fixing something on the bottom of the track.

Con
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:43 pm

According to ITV news Chessington may be forced to close the Gorrilla enclosure, unkown why, waiting for the story.

LONG POSTS GIVE ME HEADACHES

Wes
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:49 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6550235.stm

I think Tussauds have alot to do with this. Things sound familiar. Plans not going ahead.

Not worried about the state or quality of the park.

Yeh. Thats Tussauds for you.

Lauren
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:48 am

Personally i think chessington needs to book their ideas up. No, it's not a huge zoo but i think the animals needs to have a least some star treatment :x

Joe Koopa
TT Member
TT Member

Chessington - General Discussion

Sun May 10, 2009 7:09 pm

Recently, the park has been a bit of a laksture on the ride-front, which many people feel the park has been abanodend. I disagree, 2004 was definatley one of the biggest ride products to date, and 2006 saw a massive expansion to the zoo, which to be fair is just as important as the theme-park in my opinion. Then in 2007, the park expanded either further with their hotel, which seemed to have gone un-noticed as a development. Plus, they had the SeaLife centre in 2008, which saw an increase in visitor-numbers.
So where does that leave us? The future! 2010, I think will be a year for rides. Beano Land is in dire need of a re-theme, plus the park in general needs some TLC. I remember reading someone that the park is currently trying to appeal to 9-12 year olds. This could be quite easy, as I know many people in other years going to Thorpe Park but not wanting to ride the bigger rides.
So, this should make Chessington the park for them. Give the park back some of the exitment it had in the 90's. Another thing that got me, is the 9-12 age-group also seem to be fond of dark-rides. How this can be easily solved add some fright-facotr back to Vampire. Nothing to extreme, but the type of thing Duel shows and re-do the ending tunnel.
Spruce up Dragon's Fury as well add more theming, and give it a storyline to back up the ride, same can be said with Dragon Falls give it some on-boat audio that would really appeal to people. If it works for Disney, it should work for Chessington.
Then there's the daunting question of new-rides, put something back up the old Rodeo site definatley, a family friendly flat or even a small drop-tower. It's not in an area, where it will distract the locals as far as I'm aware.
Or even better, completly rip-out the mine train and build a new coaster using the space. One thing I wondered why the park has never considered a small, medium woodie. Would be great, and put some more adventure back into the park.
Also sort out Bubbleworks, it's got in a bit of a bad state now with dirty-water and what not, how about a unique dark ride in it's place. How about a vamperic rapids ride around Teansylvania, with some fear elements involved but nothing that would put of the youngest riders. Kind of like Little Monster's Den Of Mischeif at Flamingo Land.
Also, add a final grand ending to Tomb Blaster, kind of where something happens. Rather than things just staying still for you to shoot. Maybe arm the mummies with laser-guns or something.

Hope you like my ideas, and share yours. :)

Dara
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Chessington World Of Adventures: Future Discussion

Sun May 10, 2009 8:02 pm

Wow long post :shock:

Contary to what most people seem to think, Chessington has recently been doing extremely well, with visitor number dramatically increasing over the last few years.

It's certainly not been abandoned either. In 2007, all the ex-tussauds attractions were sold, by Merlin, to Nick Leslau, who then leased them back to Merlin on a 30 year contrct. Chessington was the only former Tussauds attraction which was NOT included in this deal, meaning the park is wholly owned by Merlin.

This leads me to think Merlin have serious plans for Chessington.

Benoland is definately having something done to it next season as this is the last season of the Beno sponsorship and Beno aren't giving them another year apparantly

Kaycee

Sun May 10, 2009 8:22 pm

I was quite worried at the idea that Chessington was the only park not to be sold off under a 30 year contract... :(

Steve K
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 10, 2009 8:25 pm

It does sound like a lot has been going on at Chessington and I have to say, even with all that going on, it isn't very well known over here in the states even within the enthusiast community. At this point it's pretty much 'that other UK park' whereas AT and Thorpe get all the recognition.

Hopefully we can see that change because it does appear to be a great park.

[Archive]

Sun May 10, 2009 8:31 pm

Your post was so long that I died.

But I agree with others that Merlin are going to add more magic to Chessington soon, and I have read in a few places that the 'image' of the theme park is going to change in 2010! It makes me excited!

TB2
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 10, 2009 8:36 pm

Part of Chessington's focus this year is nto make the park look good again. There is absolutely no point them adding new rides if the old ones look shoddy. Hence why many areas have been refurbed or are going to be. It's also why KFC and Pizza Hut were chucked as they were the source of much guest dis-satisfaction in the park.

The park has a very exciting time ahead of it. They know they have rested on their laurels over the past five years.. but I think big things are coming and I for one can't wait to see what they do.
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

Joe Koopa
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 10, 2009 8:45 pm

"Steve K" wrote:
It does sound like a lot has been going on at Chessington and I have to say, even with all that going on, it isn't very well known over here in the states even within the enthusiast community. At this point it's pretty much 'that other UK park' whereas AT and Thorpe get all the recognition.

Hopefully we can see that change because it does appear to be a great park.

To be honest, CWOA is never going to be regarded high amongst enthusiasts outside of UK, if they keep trying to appeal to the family audience. Extreme-theming is the only way out of this in my opinion. :)

seanyboyuk
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 10, 2009 9:16 pm

Ive never been to chessington but since merlin now have control i think this park will be the next on the list
for a new ride i think in 2011. It just seems too logical thorpe park this year, alton towers next year and chessington the year after?

Dara
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 10, 2009 11:12 pm

It doesn't really work like that at all. Air and Colossus opened the same year, as did Spinball and Fury. And dont forget Merlin have a 4th park Legoland