UK theme parks from another point of view!

DiogoJ42

Re: Chessington World Of Adventures: Future Discussion

Mon May 18, 2009 2:04 pm

In my expirience, anyone over the age of 35 thinks Chessington is still just a zoo. The younger generation think of it as a theme perk

amcmaster1
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 18, 2009 2:34 pm

^ i would agree with you on that one - when i was taken to chessington when i was a kid my parents always said we are going to chessington zoo but for me at chessington i was always bored looking at the animals because there was all the great rides to go on that were far more fun.
Wishing i was back in the Caribbean

Nathan
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:55 pm

Beano contract runs out this year, so expect a re-theme for 2010.

Ramese's Revenge currently earmarked to go to Thorpe Park for 2010 too.

:)

[Archive]

Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:03 pm

I really hope not, but from what I've heard about changing the market and the fact that most of Forbidden Kingdom is built around Rameses Revenge, moving it to Thorpe Park is unlikey anyway. Well, that's what I thought...

amcmaster1
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:07 pm

"Mackem Lad" wrote:

Where did you hear that from?

DiogoJ42

Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:18 pm

If RR goes to TP I think that's the end of Chessy as we know it. I feel sorry for Mr Wardley... It must be terrible to see your best creations be ruined. (Chessy is almost entirely his work)

Dara
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:29 pm

"amcmaster1""][quote=""Mackem Lad" wrote:

Where did you hear that from?[/quote]

My guess would be that it is simply an obscure rumour that has been circulating the forums for some time now, ever since the re-location of Samurai, which some would say was a bad move in hinesight.

As far as i'm concerned it's not going to happen. Chessington is becoming less of a 'kids' park over the next few years, and if RR has fit in fine in a kids park, it will certainly not be out of place in a park for all the family.

Plus its reliability is not that great, so the last thing thorpe need at the moment :P

TB2
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:40 pm

"Mackem Lad" wrote:
Beano contract runs out this year, so expect a re-theme for 2010.

Rameses isn't moving, Thorpe want to go forwards, not flipping backwards.
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

jonathan leake
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:23 pm

I think a rapids ride would be good at chessie. I also think buliding in to the overflow car park is a good idea. Chessie I think should really look at Oakwood for some ideas. Ok so their ride arnt the best themed on the planet but the way they have childrens rides, thill rides and some classic ride together is very well done.

Nathan
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:26 pm

I was told about Ramese's by a Thorpe Park employee who was kind enough to take me around Chessington on Wednesday for free.

He didn't say it was 100% nailed on, but it was one option Thorpe Park have planned and one that they will utilise if nothing else pops up.

He's also the one who told me about Beanoland - and that same story seems to be going round UK Rides too.

He was kind enough to tell me a number of things, including Thorpe Park's 2011 premlinary plans and that Thorpe Park are currently beating Alton Towers in gate numbers.

I'd like to think he is a credible source, afterall, he did tell me that the Eurofighter which we now know as SAW: The Ride, would be themed like that weeks before the information was released.

If people don't wanna believe it then they don't have to, doesn't bother me. :lol:

amcmaster1
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:41 pm

"Mackem Lad" wrote:
If people don't wanna believe it then they don't have to, doesn't bother me. :lol:

I didnt intend for it to sound like i did not believe you sorry - it just seems like such a poor move if Chessy gave it up. Rameses Revenge fits in so well at Chessington and offers something different, and looks far better than Ripsaw. If they moved it to Thorpe, it would just not be the same unless they completely re-themed it which i doubt they would and besides it would leave a great big hole at Chessington.

John
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:03 pm

"amcmaster1" wrote:
besides it would leave a great big hole at Chessington.

Literally and figuratively.

I really hope this isn't true, Chessington needs RR far more than thorpe does. Ideally rides should be going the other way - samurai should never have gone to thorpe for one thing. As I see it, thorpe should back off on the new rides for a few years so merlin can concentrate on new rides for the other parks a bit more. Thorpe already gets more guests than it can handle, it needs major work to improve the ability to cope with its current visitor numbers (infrastructure, ride capacity, park layout etc) before getting any more rides thrill rides.

Rowe

Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:12 pm

Rameses Revenge going to Thorpe Park?

That is the worst thing I've heard happening to Chessington since Bubbleworks was revamped!
#-o
What are Merlin thinking? They need to stop all this fawning over Thorpe Park and pay attention to the park that needs a lot of maintenence, repaints, refurbishments, so on and so forth. As what Duckman put above, Thorpe Park is already stuffed with guests and needs help, but not in the attraction department.
Dear old Chessie needs to keep RR in the park, it's the only proper thrill ride left since Samurai left.

In my opinion, if they take Rameses out of Chessie, it'll be like taking Nemesis out of AT. Because nothing will be able to properly fill the gap that once had a ride that appealed to a lot of people.

TB2
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:45 pm

"Rowe" wrote:
Rameses Revenge going to Thorpe Park?
Dear old Chessie needs to keep RR in the park, it's the only proper thrill ride left since Samurai left.

You see the thing is, Chessington has grown beyond Rameses Revenge these days. Gone are the days where Rameses is a key player at the park. Yes it would be a shame if it left the park as it is Chessie's only upside down ride, however the park survived the cull of Samurai, Rodeo and Bubbleworks soul so it would definitely survive if Rameses left. I'm thinking more in how would Thorpe benefit from Rameses. It's hardly the most reliable thing as it is now and at 15 years of service it's pretty run down and has a limited life left. Top-spins are a great spectacle but they are hardly cutting edge these days.
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

[Archive]

Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:18 am

Can we quash this rumour? It seems unlikely and if I'm starting to worry that it might be true... Hopefully it is just a huge misunderstanding.

But what's all this about Bubbleworks' soul?! It's still great! I LOVE BUBBLEWORKS!

Mankey
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:20 am

If Rammy goes to Thorpe I will not be happy! :evil:

I mean come on, 1st off, where can Thorpe put it? Do Thorpe really need a top spin? not really! Its just one thrill after another a Thorpe, I thought the whole thing about them was that they were going to hold back a bit and start appealing to families a bit more.

I like Rammy at Chessington, it looks good, it fits in with the area, to remove it would be a stupid idea.

Please dont be true! :(
[b]Back from hibernation![b]

amcmaster1
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:05 pm

"Mankey" wrote:
If Rammy goes to Thorpe I will not be happy! :evil:

I mean come on, 1st off, where can Thorpe put it? Do Thorpe really need a top spin? not really! Its just one thrill after another a Thorpe, I thought the whole thing about them was that they were going to hold back a bit and start appealing to families a bit more.

I like Rammy at Chessington, it looks good, it fits in with the area, to remove it would be a stupid idea.

Please dont be true! :(

I totally agree with all said. The thing is when they moved samurai it kinda worked because they kept the name and theme and let people know it was the 'legend' from chessington. However this would just not be possible if they kept the egyptian theme it would stick out at Thorpe and they have no need to dig a pit for it at Thorpe which would take away some of the magic.

Next year Thorpe should get their 2nd Detonator tower and then a Dungeons style attraction to help it cope as said before.

Nathan
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:03 pm

In response to people saying Merlin need to give more attention to Chessington, I raised the same concerns at the time.

What I was told is that Chessington is pretty consistent with gate numbers year on year, and that is with little investment, with the odd project threw in from time to time - Dragons Fury being the last.

I was told that Merlin don't really see the need to plough money into Chessington as it wouldn't change the bigger picture considering Legoland is a very strong brand and hard to compete with. In other words, a new £4 million ride wouldn't exactly cause Chessington's gate numbers to soar, therefore it ain't money worth spending.

I too hope Ramese's stays where it is, as I was thoroughly impressed with both the ride itself and the surrounding theming.

DiogoJ42

Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:20 pm

I think Chessy's reputation is fading fast. Example:
My g/f's nan is having a big 80th birthday party, with family comming from all over Europe. The initial plan was to go to Disneyland Paris :mrgreen: . But for some reason it is easier to get from Holland to London than Paris!?!
Now they all want to go to Legoland :( .

This is not a bunch of little kids by the way. Not counting babies the youngest child is about 14.

We have both tried telling them that LLW is basicly pants (I am a huge Lego collector BTW), and we recomended CWoA, as it has something for all the family, rather than the sorry collection of baby rides at LLW.
The unanamous reply was
"But Chessington's just a zoo."
They won't budge. Everyone thinks LLW must be better than CWoA for some reason.

Since the turn of the century, Chessy has gone from being the premier park in the south, to being all but forgotten. If Merlin don't do "something bloody spectacular" (to quote Spaced) with Chessy soon, I really fear for it's future.

Dara
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:41 pm

"Mackem Lad" wrote:
What I was told is that Chessington is pretty consistent with gate numbers year on year, and that is with little investment, with the odd project threw in from time to time - Dragons Fury being the last.

I was told that Merlin don't really see the need to plough money into Chessington as it wouldn't change the bigger picture considering Legoland is a very strong brand and hard to compete with. In other words, a new £4 million ride wouldn't exactly cause Chessington's gate numbers to soar, therefore it ain't money worth spending.

Not true! In 2007 Chessington did pretty badly and in 2008, the new Sealife centre caused a BIG boost in attendance. 2008 was one of their best seasons to date, and they haven't managed to top that this season. You keep mentioning your thorpe park friend but i was told by a member of chesington staff that their gate numbers are down this year and that this is due to the lack of a new attraction.

And this is very silly logic. It was this sort of logic that caused American Adventure to close down. All parks need to invest in new rides and attractions every few years. For Chessington, alot lies in the animal side of things, which Legoland does not have- hence Sealife opening last year and boosting attendance.