UK theme parks from another point of view!

DiogoJ42

Re: Chessington World Of Adventures: Future Discussion

Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:27 pm

You clearly don't know the knack to riding it then! :lol:
I do, but I won't tell... it's secret!

Dara
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:16 am

Despite its very high height restriction, Rattlesnake seems to be one of Chessington's most popular rides. I love it, but then again it does have very low throughput, and the 1.4 metre height restriction may be seen as too much for chessington and its target audience

amcmaster1
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:37 pm

Id love to see the Vampire made into a flyer in a few years time - although im guessing planning would never be given for that.
Wishing i was back in the Caribbean

DiogoJ42

Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:11 pm

I don't think that would be possible. It would mean a completely new coaster, following the same sort of path.

amcmaster1
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:09 pm

thats the only thing if it didnt need to follow the same path i think a flyer themed as a vampire would be great at chessington like mantra does.

Michaél
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:07 pm

I have always thought a Vekoma booster bike would be perfect for Chessington, or a Intamin one. It would fit in so well and could definitely be put on that hill behind the mine train. They just need something that has a bit of speed at chessy, yet not too frightening for the younger audience that Chessington caters for. Or a wooden roller coaster very much like Mammut at Tripsdrill. That would fit in great as well, and would definitely suit the target audience.

Dara
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:49 pm

Due to the locals and the planning restrictions, a wooden coaster is very unlikely. Since Vampire opened at a time when planning was not as strict, i think it's unlikely a coaster that size in the same location would ever be allowed. It's far too close to the travelodge and housing areas.

I think the booster bikes would be a good idea, as Velocity at Flamingo Land seems very popular with families as it's nowhere near as intense as your average launch coaster but still a great ride :D

sheepie
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:42 pm

It annoys me seeing all this doubt when it comes to Chessington. Do we really think Merlin are going to abandon one of their parks?
No, they're not Tussauds, and as has been mentioned time and time again, last year's rise in attednace reassured all the big wigs that Chessington is still very popular, with little investment.

So they're going to continue to invest, and things are brewing, all ready to kick off in a few months. Chessington's target market is families- that includes something for everyone. They won't alienate an age range.

If anyone is visiting over the next few days then keep a look out for some of the head people from Merlin. They're visiting the park and to discuss how the park would like to move forwards in the future.
Don't blink; not even for a second, blink and you're dead.

Dara
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:33 pm

"sheepie" wrote:
It annoys me seeing all this doubt when it comes to Chessington. Do we really think Merlin are going to abandon one of their parks?
No, they're not Tussauds, and as has been mentioned time and time again, last year's rise in attednace reassured all the big wigs that Chessington is still very popular, with little investment.

Firstly, how many parks did Tussauds ever abandon? And what makes Merlin so much better than Tussauds anyway? :?

Secondly, Chessington's rise in attendence last year was due to Sealife which, in Chessington terms, was a very, very big investment. This year, there has been little investment and attendance at Chessington has gone down again.

I agree with you that Chessington wont shut down, but i really dont agree with your points to explain this. Chessington does well when they get their target audience right, and install good new attractions accordingly.

amcmaster1
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:38 pm

I hope you are right and that something is just around the corner.

I dont think any of us doubt Merlin however the last couple of years the park seems to have been in limbo and by this i mean not knowing what it is going to do next. Since land of the dragons and with the exception of the hotel, the park has just gone from one season to the next with little ambition. Peeking height it got given and sea life was a temporary quick fix.

Rathaus
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:51 pm

"Maelstrom" wrote:
The only problem is aren't the planing restrictions at CWOA even worse than at Alton towers. Hense why the rattle snake and Remases are built into small pits. They had major problems esp in the 90's getting rides passed for planning permission a B&M invert similar to nemesis was planned for on the beano land site back in the mid 90's but was scrapped as they wouldn't get planning permission. Does anyone know more about their planning issues.

Can anyone give me any info on the B&M invert? I've heard about it but have necer seen anything.

sheepie
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:36 pm

"Dara" wrote:

Firstly, how many parks did Tussauds ever abandon? And what makes Merlin so much better than Tussauds anyway? :?

Secondly, Chessington's rise in attendence last year was due to Sealife which, in Chessington terms, was a very, very big investment. This year, there has been little investment and attendance at Chessington has gone down again.

Well maybe abandon was the wrong word choice, but I'd definately say they lost all care with Alton and Chessington between 2004 and 2007 whilst they were developing their love child Thorpe.

Sometimes Merlin are given too much credit, and other times not enough. I'd definately say Merlin are one thousand times better than Tussauds, even if it's not immediately visable. The parks have become a much much better place to work in, and budgets significantly improved.

I wouldn't say the reason behind Chessington's surge of guests last year was totally down to the Sea Life, but yes it helped. I think it was a combination of that, the economic recession and the new marketing campaign that the park set out on last year. And yes, absolutely, you're right, in terms of Chessington investments, the Sea Life centre was quite significant, although I was talking in terms of Merlin (and Tussauds) projects as a whole.

I don't quite understand what points you are trying to make. I was purely commenting that there doesn't need to be any concerns about Chessington's future, Merlin and the park know exactly where they're going, and they're really gonna go for it over the next several years.
Don't blink; not even for a second, blink and you're dead.

Dara
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:41 pm

The point i was trying to make really was that i agree with you that Chessington will not be closed or abandoned. If by "abandoned" you are referring to the lack of TLC that was put into the park during the Tussauds years, then i'd agree that alot was ignored whilst excess effort was put into Thorpe. I guess that, under Merlin, we have seen eigns of improvement at Chessington, particularly around Ramases area and the Zoo his season.

The recession is likely to have helped Chessington, but i'd still say that the Sealife centre was the main influence for last year's high attendance. For this reason, i think it's clear that investments will boost attendance.

So the point i'm really trying to make is that i really disagree with earlier posts on this thread (cant remember from who though :lol: ) saying that Merlin dont need to invest in Chessington to keep the numbers up. Someone also said, in an earlier post, that if lots of money was spent on Chessington, numbers would not go significantly up. I would greatly disagree with that and i think that Sealife, and the lower attendance this season has shown that.

I think investments at Chessington will happen over the next few years and they will be geared towards the older family market.

WillXav
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:11 pm

I think we deserve a new big ride - don't cha think?

amcmaster1
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:05 pm

^ well said we definitely do!

Stampida Joe
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:10 pm

Has anyone noticed that Chessington have cut this year's Halloween Hocus Pocus to just one week and a day. It was originally scheduled to run for 2 weeks, like last year from 17th October until 1st November. It's now just for a week.

Could this be down to budget cuts because of drop in attendance this year possibly? It's a shame really that the only chance to go will be during the busier week of half term. However, i'd still say it's worth it as the last few year's Hocus Pocus events have been very good, and suitably different to Fright Nights at Thorpe.
The Ghost of the sea, the Ghost of the sea

TB2
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:16 pm

I guess it's down to demand against cost. The first week of Hocus Pocus Halloween is always dead, to the point where even Dragons Fury is walk on. Considering it's a 10 hour day and the park will barely break even, it makes sense to reduce cost where possible.

The parks attendance is actually up so far on last year so it's nothing to do with dropping numbers.
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

DiogoJ42

Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:22 pm

Tomb Blaster has been ruined by new extractor fans in the roof. They are not light-proof, so daylight floods into the ride!
Not a happy bunny! :evil:

Stampida Joe
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:57 pm

Yeah i noticed the extractor fans on my last visit to the park and it really does make a difference to the appearance of the theming. It doesn't look anywhere near as good with the light flooding in. However, they aren't always open. The second time we went on the ride just before closing, it was much darker and better.

As for Hocus Pocus, i'm a bit disappointed they've canceled the first week but having visited twice during Hocus Pocus's first week last year, i think it's understandable as it was dead. Everything, including Fury was walk-on, and Vampire, despite only being on one train i seem to remember.
The Ghost of the sea, the Ghost of the sea

[Archive]

Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:07 pm

The main event for Chessington this year I guess is the Ice Age maze. They have spent quite a bit of time on it. Halloween Hocus Pocus was never really an event in my opinion, just a few decorations and mist. It just makes the theme park more Halloween themed... :mrgreen: