UK theme parks from another point of view!

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Chessington 2013, Zufari discussion

Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:33 pm

Chessington have launched a (rather half-arsed) app to advertise Zufari. Basically it's a memory test featuring animals, but there's also quite in-depth facts about the species featured during the ride. It's definitely out now on Android, under the name 'Zufari'. No idea whether it's available yet elsewhere.

:)

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:37 pm

It's OK at best. The final level is pretty testing because of the differences between the three horned things being so slight.

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:33 pm

When it had "Win" I was expecting a wheel of win, but its basically a photo competition, but you got to get to level 3 and read up several animals to unlock the link, this a poor IMO, they should have had something like the wheel of win and given away fast tracks, hotel stays even drinks quenchers
If you go down to the woods today

markfranklin
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Chessington 2013 Closed Season Updates

Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:41 pm

I was at Chessington last Saturday and the new paintwork around Vampire looks very good.

The new "Vampire Bites" was open.  I didn't eat in there but did notice that a lot of the "ghoulish" details had been removed and the nice vampire bat style chairs have gone and been replaced with standard ones.

jmgpannal
TT Member
TT Member

Chessington 2013 Closed Season Updates

Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:13 pm

Just a note to say that I've just had an email stating the Passholder weekend has been cancelled. Due to delays in infrastructure projects caused by bad weather which mean that they won't be in a position to open.

They also state that Zufari won't be opening until the 27th although the park is still scheduled to open 20th.

Compensation is a free fasttrack ticket valid for one ride.

That's knackered my weekend.

jamie.rivettcarnac

Re: Chessington 2013 Closed Season Updates

Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:42 pm

jmgpannal wrote:
Just a note to say that I've just had an email stating the Passholder weekend has been cancelled. Due to delays in infrastructure projects caused by bad weather which mean that they won't be in a position to open.

They also state that Zufari won't be opening until the 27th although the park is still scheduled to open 20th.

go to thorpe park insted its not far from chesington :-)

jmgpannal
TT Member
TT Member

Chessington 2013 Closed Season Updates

Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:48 pm

jamie.rivettcarnac wrote:
jmgpannal wrote:

go to thorpe park insted its not far from chesington :-)

Not with a 5 year old!

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:56 pm

Spoiler alert!

Source - Chessington Buzz - www.chessingtonbuzz.co.uk

Some aspects of the new ride look very nice (the entrance, some of the landscaping), although that cattle-pen is horrific... I'm going to reserve judgement until I experience it in person, but it looks promising! :)
Last edited by Pennywise on Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rocket
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:24 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IU7fIht ... e=youtu.be

Zufari POV, please not the ride does not open for 2 weeks so this was from a "preview event" and is not the finished product!

AdrenalineAlex

Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:31 pm

Cattlepen queue's :( It looks good so far, should be even better when it's done!
Last edited by AdrenalineAlex on Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danny
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:51 pm

Just watched the pov vid and got to say. I know some features aren't working yet but it doesn't compare to the Disney safari in Florida, needs to be more animals and exciting parts

onair
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:13 pm

Just watched the video thanks for posting it.

I know you can't judge something until you have experienced it for yourself but from viewing that video and the photos it really does look bland and as if its been done on a really tight budget.

Ok I know its only march and perhaps when there some sun out and the landscaping grows a bit it may look better. There just seems no wow factor ! Why oh why are Merlin so uncreative. That tree could have been animated and come down infront of the jeep, instead go for the cheap option and just stick a branch on the floor. And the finale in the cave what a wasted opportunity.

At present it looks more like a jeep ride through a rubbish tip more than Africa...

Danny
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:26 pm

I agree, the fallen branch is very poor and the cave scene is nothing special, if you look at disney's Kilimanjaro safari they have a bit where a bridge drops slightly as the truck goes over it, very nice touch as takes riders by suprise, riders can see the waterfall as soon as they come round the corner on zufari, must say this ride has had no thought put into it at all

electricBlll_Returns
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:32 pm

danny.g97 wrote:
must say this ride has had no thought put into it at all
Oh but it has.

Zufari has taken five years of planning until Chessington got the budget to go ahead with it. They were banking on this being their breakthrough moment, to finally make best use of all that space at the back of the park and marry the zoo with the theme park. The cave finale, range of animals and theme design were all planned to be so impressive and adventurous.

So sad to see it turn out like this, but I guess it is to be expected with Chessington. They just don't get the money they need from Merlin, I guess. All those good ideas abandoned, and instead they have built an average attraction that looks fun but generally unmemorable. Even bearing in mind there are more animals/improvements to come, Zufari seems to be another disappointment. Poor Chessington.

Well at least they have built it so they can adapt it however they want once they get the time and money. As others have said, this will certainly be a ride that develops over time.

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:39 pm

I think this is a ride that will grow old gracefully, it really needs the landscaping to look a plush and green for it to work.

Plus, probably didn't help that for most of the POV, it looked away from the animals!

Rob
Team Admin
Team Admin

Chessington Upgrade

Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:51 pm

The resort is pleased to announce a
£5 million upgrade plan is taking place at Chessington during 2013 & 2014.

The scale of this investment, and also the fact that the resort is open throughout the year for Zoo Days, means that all the works cannot be completed in the winter months and a certain amount of disruption cannot be avoided during the main park season.

Therefore you may find certain rides, attractions, and facilities may not be available at certain points during the season whilst work is carried out.

We will do our best to minimize any inconvenience and ensure that you will still have an amazing adventure here and we will post details of unavailable rides and facilities on this page and elsewhere online as soon as they are confirmed.

Our brand new attraction for 2013; ‘ZUFARI – Ride into Africa’ launches to the public on the 27th March and there will be more information about additional entertainment and amazing additional events throughout the year coming soon.

Again, we apologise for the disruption and appreciate your patience whilst we make your adventure even better for the future.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort.

Current Upgrades

MEXICANA
Runaway Train reopening TBC

MYSTIC EAST
Peeking Heights reopen from 2nd April
Dragon Falls reopen from 10th April

The completion dates are for guidance only and may change!

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Chessington Upgrade

Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:46 pm

Bizarre that all this couldn't be done over the close season...

Boz
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Chessington Upgrade

Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:48 pm

I'm glad to see RMT finally getting some TLC, but I agree with D4n, why have M$rlin only just realized that this needs doing, and not been doing it over the closed season.

rollerghoster
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Chessington 2013 General Discussion

Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:53 pm

so it seems that chessington are getting a £5million upgrade, with certain rides closed for short periods throughout the season (beginning with dragon falls, Peking heights and the runaway minetrain) while i'm sad that this means that i won't be able to do a marathon sesh on dragon falls next week when i go, i'm assuming that this means that the crumbling rock work on both dragon falls and runaway minetrain are being sorted.
While i know this is going to annoy a few people, i personally am very glad to see some of my old favourites getting a bit of tlc, what with this and the yet to be seen upgrades to transylvania...and the inclusion of zufari.....it looks like chessington are making a step in the right direction.....what do you all think?

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Chessington 2013 General Discussion

Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:28 am

Most of this work is long overdue, but I really can not see why this can not be done out of season.
If you go down to the woods today