UK theme parks from another point of view!

rollerghoster
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Chessington 2013 General Discussion

Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:56 am

second the above comments, it depends massively on what you're looking for....if you want thrills, go to thorpe park, if you want a nice relaxed day out in some extremely well themed areas with some very good rides, then chessington is for you, although it is liable to get busier now due to halloween, me (32) and my fiancée (25) both went yesterday, had a cracking time and it was practically walk on for most of the rides, and this was a sunday, so if you can get there before the 19th, you may have a similar experience.

mind you, i am terribly biased, i turn into a small child when it comes to chessington, largely due to nostalgic feelings....make of that what you will, but do go this year if you can, or wait till next year, when all the refurbishment has been done and the park will hopefully be looking at it's best again ( not that it's looking terrible now) 

joelpagett
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:04 pm

Hi Guys,

Got back from Chessington's Halloween Hocus Pocus yesterday and I have to say I am very very impressed! First of all I want to comment on the park. Usually Chessington is one of the best dressed in my opinion but apart from a huge amount pumpkins there wasn't much else. Although it was only open until 5 the lighting looked very impressive this year and look forward to seeing this!

The mazes, or Halloween attractions were impressive, here is my reviews;

The Mystery of Hocus Pocus Hall

This was probably the biggest surprise of the day. We queued for ages for this ride due to the very low through put. When you first enter the building you are greeted by one of the explorers helpers. She explained to us about how Sir Arthur used to collect rare items and his final item was the mystical gem. This gem transported him into another realm (as you do!). She then comes across the gem and some absolutely fantastic projections swirl around the room show you to a secret entrance. You then gain access to this portal where you come across Cleopatra, some strange man in the middle of the Jungle and finally a scurvy pirate. The mirror maze at the ending was great as you escape this other realm all though the ending was a bit anticlimactic.
All in all the theming and the acting was great and some seriously cool effects were used! Highly recommended.

The Haunting in the Hollows
This was probably the biggest surprise of the day! We got to the attraction just past the vampire at 3pm and there was absoutley no queue! This was a great surprise ;-) and we were then briefed before we made our way through the gates. You are first greeted by Van Helsing who tells you about the strange happenings. You then make your way through the town before you come across a hearse. A strange man starts shouting at you before you are ushered into a coffin shop where you are cornered by a vampire. Making your way our you enter the Tomb of Dracula where an awesome scene comes about featuring Dracula. There was a fantastic strobe finale and it was great fun.

All in all was very impressed by all the acting and the mazes themselves and the park just need to open a bit later to enjoy the fantastic lighting they have installed! Would recommend visiting Chessington this year for Halloween! For some more pictures check out my [url=http://www.flickr.com/themeparkmania[/url]Flickr

Image[/url]

Thanks for reading ;-)

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:49 pm

^thanks very much am planning on going this year and knew there were changes this has helped a lot
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

LittlestarRed
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:32 pm

Just got back from today at Chessington Halloween Hocus Pocus. I have to say that overall we had a great day!

The one complaint I have is the huge reduction in park wide theming. It's a shame because the general atmosphere was great.

The park audio/music was spectacular. Especially when it got dark, the (really well used) lights came on and they cranked up the volume!.....Fantastic!

I applaud Chessie for The mystery of Hocus Pocus Hall. The transformation is so well executed!

Sadly, there was an emergency stop just as we were about to go in, and I'm fairly sure that some of the effects weren't working on our go through. The tunnel wasn't spinning and the loud/sudden noises and strobes mentioned on the entrance board didn't occur.

That said the actors were fantastic and played their roles very well, particular note to the actor in 'The Jungle'. I was at the front of the line and he made me jump and squeal,  I don't scare easily! haha.
The narrative of the story was clear and my kids were both pretty engrossed all the way through. My 6 yr old daughter came out smiling but a little bit afraid (of the pirate who had been just about to murder my sister. "He almost got Aunty....!" lol).

We were lucky as the rain today seemed to have put some people off, so the park wasn't as horrendously crowded as others have been reporting this week. Many of the smaller rides were a walk on or a very small queue. Even the Black Buccaneer in the dark was only around a 10min wait.

I'm hoping to get back over the next couple of days to have a go on Haunting in the Hollows, this time I'll attempt it on my own. I really didn't fancy queueing again after an hr long wait was wasted when my 8 year old Son chickened out today at the last moment !!

Well done Chessington! A few improvements needed with general theming and maybe another halloween attraction somewhere to round things off? I'd love to see the centaur/headless horseman from a few years ago return, or maybe a few more roaming characters? Other than that I'd say you've nailed it!
Last edited by LittlestarRed on Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Kids wanna live in Cloud Cuckoo Land!...

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:33 pm

Would agree with the comments above, Hocus pocus was a great day (despite queues!)

Anyone know which rides will be open for festive zoo days? The following attractions have been known to open previously:
Hocus Pocus Hall
Childish Christmas show (in chicken shack)
Seastorm
Black buccaneer
Bubbleworks
Safari Skyway
Zoo and SEALIFE centre.

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:09 am

I asked this question to Chessington and they said

Zoo and Sealife centre, come a look at our lovely animals.

But no Zufari or any other rides confirmed at the moment. They did say they have some surprises up their sleeve, but this could just be an increase in car park charges! LOL
If you go down to the woods today

Jared
TT Member
TT Member

Chessington 2013 General Discussion

Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:42 am

None of rides will be open. Hocus Pocus Hall will be transformed into a new Christmas walk through. :P

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:33 pm

It's a disappointment about the rides. You can get 20 goes on the black buccaneer on a good zoo day!

Hocus pocus hall thing sounds cool. How to change it from Halloween:

Into the room. Actor explains how the mystery of santa's grotto is strong, nobody knows where it truly is. Door opens. Surprised guests walk through the corridor with introducer. Finds door, opens it, and sees tunnel. Introducer leaves them to it.

Where cleopatra sat, you find a working elf. He greets you and tells you santa and all your Christmas wishes are ahead but be careful along the way! You move on. "Guardian on the cobra" is santa's wife who tells you that there are people ahead who have snuk in. ("You're much better off taking this route!")

Guests take the route, and come across Scrooge! He's about to throw you out, but santa saves you!

Mirror maze Christmas-like, and then you're out.

Jared
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:51 pm

Ilovecoasters wrote:
It's a disappointment about the rides. You can get 20 goes on the black buccaneer on a good zoo day!

Hocus pocus hall thing sounds cool. How to change it from Halloween:

Into the room. Actor explains how the mystery of santa's grotto is strong, nobody knows where it truly is. Door opens. Surprised guests walk through the corridor with introducer. Finds door, opens it, and sees tunnel. Introducer leaves them to it.

Where cleopatra sat, you find a working elf. He greets you and tells you santa and all your Christmas wishes are ahead but be careful along the way! You move on. "Guardian on the cobra" is santa's wife who tells you that there are people ahead who have snuk in. ("You're much better off taking this route!")

Guests take the route, and come across Scrooge! He's about to throw you out, but santa saves you!

Mirror maze Christmas-like, and then you're out.

If I'm honest, that sounds completely pants. I'm pretty sure it'll be a far bigger transformation than that. There's a lot of other big transformations going on at Chessington this closed season... ;)
Last edited by Jared on Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:09 pm

I agree it is pants.

I don't doubt, however, that this is the level of which it will be done. Obviously I hope for better

Jared
TT Member
TT Member

Chessington 2013 General Discussion

Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:14 pm

Ilovecoasters wrote:
I agree it is pants.

I don't doubt, however, that this is the level of which it will be done. Obviously I hope for better

You really have so little faith in Chessington. Did you not see how good The Mystery of Hocus Pocus Hall was?

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:37 pm

It was good but it was the first decent transformation

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

General Chessington Discussion

Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:55 pm

A general discussion topic for Chessington.

BenBowser
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:07 pm

2014 gonna be awesome! It's the only park getting anything worthwhile this year. Can't wait for scorpion express!

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Re: General Chessington Discussion

Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:08 pm

nemesisben110 wrote:
2014 gonna be awesome! It's the only park getting anything worthwhile this year. Can't wait for scorpion express!

You going for MAP day for scorpion express re-opening day?

BenBowser
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:21 pm

Ilovecoasters wrote:
nemesisben110 wrote:

You going for MAP day for scorpion express re-opening day?

I'm busy on that weekend :( so am going to visit (and ride) on the following Saturday.

Does anybody know if scorpion valley will have a shop? Personally I would like to see one where the shooting range currently is but expand it into the portrait studio, it could act as SE's exit/entrance
Last edited by BenBowser on Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:31 pm

I would meet you the following Saturday, but I'm at AT opening day ...

There was the mexican cantina last year, which I'm expecting to be there again, perhaps under a slightly new theme, but I would also like to see a shop ...

20% MAP discount would be nice ;)

BenBowser
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:31 pm

Just found these logos on the chessington website for Scorpion Express and Amazu (as well as azteca but we already know that).

Scorpion Express' sexy new logo

And Amazon's funky logo.

I personally love these new logos, especially SE's one.

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:06 am

I wonder if the train will be themed different. The only problem I have with this coaster is it that its not that thrilling. Maybe they can speed it up as I found the flying fish and the troublesome trucks to be faster and more thrilling than this coaster.
Last edited by Themeparksandy1981 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:07 am

Runaway Train

Step aboard the Runaway Train for a journey through the mountains!

Please note: Runaway Train is currently being refurbished and will reopen in 2014.
Can I ride? Minimum height: 0.90 metres Maximum height: 1.96 metres Anyone under 1.1 metres must be accompanied by a person aged 16 or over. Chest restrictions for guests with torso measurements approaching 51 inches or above apply.

(Quote from chessington on the full ride listing page)
It surprises me how, especially as they have a logo, that it's still "Runaway Train" on the ride listing.