UK theme parks from another point of view!

Merlin Pixie
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Chemical leak at Chessington today

Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:18 pm

Just got back from Chessington today where Mystic East and Forbidden Kingdom had been closed off due to an apparent chemical leak this morning. We left early so not sure if they opened later.

I wonder whether this was due to something like a chlorine leak on Dragon Falls which would be used to clean the water.

By the way went through Ice Age attraction today, it was not signed at all and just stuck in the corner of Beano land, to be honest not sure why they bothered with this as it must have cost a few bob and is a complete waste of time, not even sure the younger kiddies would be that impressed.

---- Post Info Added ----

Here is a link to the story

[url=http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news/local/topstories/4496161.Chemical_leak_closes_part_of_Chessington_World_of_Adventures/" target="_blank]http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news ... dventures/[/url]

nvincer
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Chemical leak at Chessington today

Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:08 pm

I agree, the only area it seemed to be signed from, was the path from behind Dragon Falls. It is a strange attraction, although I'm guessing it probably gives quite a lot of marketing towards the target market which is probably similar to the target market of the park. The inside of the attraction is very well themed, but as to the 'point' of it, it escapes me.

Ben

[Archive]

Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:21 pm

"Guardian" wrote:
Chessington World of Adventures has re-opened after this morning's chemical leak which shut the Forbidden Kingdom and the Mystic East zones of the theme park.

The owners have not said how hazardous and corrosive hydrochloric acid came to leak from a water purification tank causing a full scale alert involving six firefighting vehicles.
A spokesman said the site was now clear and a contractor had been hired to carry out any other repair work to the tank, which is in a service area behind the site.
It was hydrochloric acid.

"Chessington re-opens" news article
Last edited by [Archive] on Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chris.bassist
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:53 pm

hi all

hydrochloric acid is used at most swimming pools across the world.
when you put chlorine in the water the Ph is too dangerous and hydrochloric acid is added to keep the pH as close to 7.6 as possible. We even put carbonate soda in pools and water features!!

Some swimming pools and most new pools are adding UV filters to the water treatment lines and only have chemicals on site as a back up but UV equipment is very very exspensive, i work at a local 25m 5 lane pool and i was quoted £22.000 to instill UV filters.

The person who quoted me this is actually the same person who installs and maintains all of alton water treatment systems in the waterpark and does the water safety tests on ripsaw, logflume and rapids.

He also supplies them with the red die that goes in nemesis water, it cost £70 a bottle and we have uses in in are swimming pool during halloween, as long as there is no chlorine in the pool the red will stay VERY red!

sorry for long post

chris :lol:

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:14 pm

"chris.bassist" wrote:
sorry for long post

chris :lol:

Heh, don't be sorry, that's very, very interesting stuff. Thanks!

Welcome to TT, by the way ;)