UK theme parks from another point of view!

 
User avatar
newrider
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author
Posts: 38
Joined: September 2013
Location: London... TOO FAR from the Towers!

Chessington's "Single Rider" policy

Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:08 pm

I went to Chessington a couple of months ago (as part of a bid to get over CoasterPhobia, much discussed in the AT general thread). I went on my own.

Interesting fact about Chessington: they're really, really not set up to accept Single Riders. I mean, in ANY sense. It's like it's unheard of to go there as a single rider. I went there (on a reasonably busy day) and got:

1) A Bubbleworks pod all to myself
2) A Tomb Raider car all to myself
3) (Best of all, actually) paired up with a "2" on Dragon's Fury (so I had one side to myself) - they don't seem to send them round in 4's.
4) (Less brilliantly) told I couldn't have a row to myself on Vampire (even though I never asked for that!) - when I said that didn't bother me I was then told I'd have to "ask" a single person (obviously someone who was part of a group of 3) if they minded if I sat next to them. Slightly awkward. (I didn't actually ask, and they didn't seem to mind or question it). I actaully thought it was a bit mean to land me with that bombshell after I'd queued for 40 minutes like everyone else...

The only ride that seemed "normal" was Kobra, which seems completely set up to accept "ones". But Vampire confused me... it routinely gets sent out with large quantities of empty seats. You'd think I'd be welcomed - I rode without zero impact on the queueing time for everyone else!

I wonder why this is... is it "expected" that people will be going there with kids? I know Thorpe Park doesn't "welcome" Single Riders (in that they don't have any dedicated queues for them) - from what I read they believe it hurts rider flow (which I can believe, actaully, assuming the single riders do the decent thing and go away instead of just queueing in the normal queue...), but they are clearly adept with dealing them... Chessington seemed the opposite. I am sure I'll return someday (though now I enjoy more intense rides, it seems a little pointless!) - but just odd!

-NR
Last edited by newrider on Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
 
Burniel
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1924
Joined: June 2013
Location: Dragon's Fury's SRQ

Re: Chessington's "Single Rider" policy

Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:44 am

I assure you, nobody has as broader knowledge of chessington queuelines as myself ...

Put simply, Merlin doesn't care enough for chessington. While Thorpe and alton are getting new coasters every 3-5 years, with many thrill rides in between, chessie may get one good ride a decade, which is harsh but true - the last decent ride since ZUFARI (if that counts) was Dragon's fury - 2004. Since 2004 thorpe and alton have had double digits worth of new thrill rides when put together, and chessington has been left unloved. More unloved than legoland.

And so, if they can't be bothered to add new rides, why should they put a single rider system in place. KOBRA is the only ride that takes ones, but even that doesn't work - singles have to queue the long queue (100mins on 30th oct!) so they may as well ride with family and friends.

Vampire "screams" (excuse the pun) for a single rider queue and I would use it all the time. The same goes for Dragon's fury, tomb blaster, KOBRA  and even (on hot days when it's very busy) rattlesnake and monkey swinger! Not forgetting rameses when it reopens.

So merlin, if you're out there ... Please. Invest in a chessington single rider queue. It will go down better with me than a new billion looping coaster at thorpe park
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
 
User avatar
Jared
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 441
Joined: March 2009
Location: Black Hollow
Contact:

Chessington's "Single Rider" policy

Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:53 am

The issue with single riders at Chessington and Legoland to an extent is the parks target audience. Young children and family groups don't tend to lend themselves all that well to sharing with other children and adults they do not know. Then there's the whole worry about certain types being at the park.

The reason for it is to protect the younger guests at the park and I'd rather queue a little longer than have harmless, innocent children and their families made to feel uncomfortable.
Chessington Buzz - New Look Website Coming Soon...
Image
 
Burniel
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1924
Joined: June 2013
Location: Dragon's Fury's SRQ

Re: Chessington's "Single Rider" policy

Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:56 am

^I'm sorry, I just don't agree.

I can remember being a part of that "young family" category, and not only did I not care sitting next to anyone (reduced my queue after all) I also remember wondering why there was no single rider queue
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
 
User avatar
newrider
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author
Posts: 38
Joined: September 2013
Location: London... TOO FAR from the Towers!

Re: Chessington's "Single Rider" policy

Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:33 pm

Jared wrote:
I'd rather queue a little longer than have harmless, innocent children and their families made to feel uncomfortable.


I take your point about unknown adults being sat next to children (though to an extent, that could apply at any park...) but how does queuing for longer resolve that problem?

And why is there seemingly a policy on vampire that groups of 3 have the third person sitting unaccompanied (never matched up with another odd number to put them next to a stranger), but single riders don't get a row to themselves and have to ask to sit next to someone? (Again, not that I expect one, but it's a bit disappointing to queue for 40 mins and then feel you have to "beg" your way onto the ride...).
Image
 
Burniel
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1924
Joined: June 2013
Location: Dragon's Fury's SRQ

Re: Chessington's "Single Rider" policy

Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:31 pm

I was actually really annoyed as a one on vampire

Problem was that as a one, they don't let you go anywhere near the back because they lose track of you so you queue 40-100 minutes and A) have to beg and B) have to go at the front, which makes vampire pretty lame
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
 
Lottie.
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 64
Joined: November 2012
Location: The South

Chessington's "Single Rider" policy

Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:29 pm

^ I was never forced to go near the front when I've been as a one. Normally they let me go wherever the next row was available or they sometimes put me next to someone.

Isn't the back 2 rows for disabled guests anyway? So you can't get the back row unless there is no one waiting for the disabled queue.
Image
 
Dara
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1147
Joined: June 2003

Re: Chessington's "Single Rider" policy

Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:32 pm

Just to clear something up, the reason Thorpe Park removed single rider queues was because they said it meant throughputs sufferred due to single riders taking a long time to get to their seats on Stealth. This argument is of course a complete load of rubbish as, if you have staff who are on the ball, you will be able to batch single riders into the loading bays before the gates open rather than having to call for them, which is what was hurting throughputs. Clearly some staff just weren't on the ball.
Last edited by Dara on Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
Burniel
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1924
Joined: June 2013
Location: Dragon's Fury's SRQ

Re: Chessington's "Single Rider" policy

Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:18 pm

Lottie. wrote:
^ I was never forced to go near the front when I've been as a one. Normally they let me go wherever the next row was available or they sometimes put me next to someone.

Isn't the back 2 rows for disabled guests anyway? So you can't get the back row unless there is no one waiting for the disabled queue.

They chucked me near the front, I dunno

Yeah technically back rows are reserved but on quiet days (try to imagine that!) I've been on the back row
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
 
User avatar
Emma
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 84
Joined: June 2013
Location: Balancing on the top of Hurakan Condor

Re: Chessington's "Single Rider" policy

Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:23 pm

Has Chessington ever had single rider queues?

I am aware Thorpe did and for whatever reason they figured out it didn't work; fair play to them for trying.

The least Chessington could do is see if it can work. Even if it is only for vampire or DF as I can imagine these are the main two rides that would benefit from it, if they want to improve throughput that is ...
Image
Credit to Lewis97






When words mean nothing , I go La La La
 
User avatar
Jared
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 441
Joined: March 2009
Location: Black Hollow
Contact:

Chessington's "Single Rider" policy

Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:52 pm

CoasterChick wrote:
Has Chessington ever had single rider queues?


Yes. Dragons Fury used to, along with Tomb Blaster, but neither were used enough to warrant them.
Chessington Buzz - New Look Website Coming Soon...
Image
 
abigsmurf
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 402
Joined: July 2012

Re: Chessington's "Single Rider" policy

Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:21 pm

Making you personally search out another single rider among strangers is pretty horrible, I'd even go so far as to say humiliating.

That can't be official policy, it must be better for a ride attendant to shout out for another single rider willing to get on 5 minutes earlier.
 
Burniel
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1924
Joined: June 2013
Location: Dragon's Fury's SRQ

Re: Chessington's "Single Rider" policy

Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:56 pm

Jared wrote:

CoasterChick wrote:
Has Chessington ever had single rider queues?


Yes. Dragons Fury used to, along with Tomb Blaster, but neither were used enough to warrant them.


That's because Chessington didn't use them properly.
Last edited by Burniel on Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
 
User avatar
Jared
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 441
Joined: March 2009
Location: Black Hollow
Contact:

Chessington's "Single Rider" policy

Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:56 pm

Umm. No. You're wrong. Did you even see it?! It's because no one used it!
Chessington Buzz - New Look Website Coming Soon...
Image
 
Dara
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1147
Joined: June 2003

Re: Chessington's "Single Rider" policy

Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:24 am

Jared wrote:
Umm. No. You're wrong. Did you even see it?! It's because no one used it!


Jared, I know you like to stick up for Chessington at every possible opportunity (no idea why), but I don't think it's fair of you to tell somebody they are wrong.

From my experience, SRQs from exits in general don't work. Thorpe Park used to have them on Colossus and Nemesis Inferno exits and they were removed, not due to lack of use but due to it being unsafe to clog up the exit.

From what I witnessed of Dragon's Fury SRQ it was well used, which is precisely why it was removed, large numbers of people were using it it thus clogging up the exit. You could say that this was because staff weren't managing it correctly, or simply because the exit wasn't geared up to act as an exit, a priority pass entrance and a single rider exit. Whatever the answer is, it certainly wasn't because it was under used in the case of Fury. In the case of Tomb Blaster, yes nobody used that one. But Fury's definitely was used.

Chessington also used to run a SRQ on Samurai and I've heard that one was trialled on Dragon Falls for a very short period, which looking back seems crazy now.
Last edited by Dara on Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
Burniel
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1924
Joined: June 2013
Location: Dragon's Fury's SRQ

Re: Chessington's "Single Rider" policy

Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:38 am

To have a proper single rider option you need another queueline.

Chessington used exits, it didn't work
Thorpe Park used exits, only Flying Fish and Stealth (which had designated lines) are left
Alton Towers use separate queues, and they are successful.

I like to stick up for Chessington, it's my local, I literally went 15-20 times this season, but this is a big flaw.
Last edited by Burniel on Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
 
Dara
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1147
Joined: June 2003

Re: Chessington's "Single Rider" policy

Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:25 am

The annoying thing about Thorpe Park is that Rush, Vortex and Samurai all, at one time, had dedicated Single rider entrances but these got replaced when Fastrack became the big thing  ](*,)
 
NickiFan
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 488
Joined: April 2012

Re: Chessington's "Single Rider" policy

Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:31 pm

It annoyed me when I went Thorpe Park, I wanted to go on Saw but no one else with me wanted to. The only way I could do it was either wait 70 minutes on my own or buy ANOTHER fast track. I can't imagine it at CWOA, surely there must be families going with older kids who want to go on the ride but no one else does, it's a shame to miss it out like I had to with Saw.
Last edited by NickiFan on Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
 
Burniel
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1924
Joined: June 2013
Location: Dragon's Fury's SRQ

Re: Chessington's "Single Rider" policy

Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:24 pm

But who on here can honestly put their hand up and say that they would queue 1 hour plus or pay for a fastrack at Chessington?
Last edited by Burniel on Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
 
NickiFan
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 488
Joined: April 2012

Re: Chessington's "Single Rider" policy

Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:40 pm

Ilovecoasters wrote:
But who on here can honestly put their hand up and say that they would queue 1 hour plus or pay for a fastrack at Chessington?


I wouldn't.
Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests