UK theme parks from another point of view!

PhoenixStudios
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Chessington's "Single Rider" policy

Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:19 pm

The fact remains that Chessington's target audience is completely different to Thorpe's & Alton's.

It is mainly families, who aren't going to cry and make a fuss if it hasn't had a new ride for 5 years. Alton & Thorpe get the investments because us enthusiasts are always looking for the next big thing.

I do think a new ride may be due at Chessington, but nothing astounding: just something that will please families and kids. We can't have every park in the UK tailored for extreme adrenaline seekers, so I don't necessarily think a SRQ would be a worthwhile investment.

I'm open to different views of course  ;)
*Credit to Lewis97 for the awesome Signature!

Dara
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:13 pm

Of course you could argue that SRQs (in many cases) don't require any investment. You could easily add one back to the Tomb Blaster exit and the fact that is was never used isn't justification for removing it. Fury I can totally understand, it wasn't practical or safe having it from the exit and this is why it was removed not because, as someone said, because it wasn't used. Anyone who worked there in the 2004/early 05 seasons will tell you that it was well used and was a victim of its own success if anything.

Realistically I could see SRQs on Vampire (only at times when there is a batcher in the station otherwise it'd be chaos trying to use the exit) and Tomb Blaster brought back in its old location.

Whether or not Chessington actually "need" them or not, is a different matter entirely.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:06 pm

It kind of depends on the ride. Fury would need a separate queue (as we have discussed the failures of the exits), but others like tomb blaster wouldn't (if they used the exit SRQ properly)
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

newrider
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:19 pm

Given that I was given my own car on several rides (including Tomb Blaster/Bubbleworks), it does make me question what purpose SRQs would serve there. SRQ's are about saving everyone time, not saving the Singles time!

Dragon's Fury was routinely sent off with 3 riders making it a great SR ride. Plus I witnessed quite a few families in indecision over whether to all go on. So I'm surprised they removed that.

Vampire, on the other hand, desperately needs an SR queue. People shouldn't mind sitting next to a stranger on "train" style coasters, no other park sends these sorts of trains out with incomplete rows. Walt Disney World is the epitome of family parks and yet they see fit to have SRQs. Obviously I can see it's not fantastic to have strangers sitting next to kids, but  I don't see why that would come up anyway, since a family of 3 would logically have the adult in the empty row. Given it has the longest queue of any Chessington attraction...

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:23 pm

newrider wrote:
Given that I was given my own car on several rides (including Tomb Blaster/Bubbleworks), it does make me question what purpose SRQs would serve there. SRQ's are about saving everyone time, not saving the Singles time!

What have they got to lose?
Dragon's Fury was routinely sent off with 3 riders making it a great SR ride. Plus I witnessed quite a few families in indecision over whether to all go on. So I'm surprised they removed that.

Fury's SRQ was moved for safety reasons, though a designated line would work great
Vampire, on the other hand, desperately needs an SR queue. People shouldn't mind sitting next to a stranger on "train" style coasters, no other park sends these sorts of trains out with incomplete rows. Walt Disney World is the epitome of family parks and yet they see fit to have SRQs. Obviously I can see it's not fantastic to have strangers sitting next to kids, but  I don't see why that would come up anyway, since a family of 3 would logically have the adult in the empty row. Given it has the longest queue of any Chessington attraction...

It does need one, but how will Chessington organise it?
Last edited by Burniel on Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.