UK theme parks from another point of view!

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin
Topic Author

Room on the Broom - A Magical Journey

Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:28 am

Chessington have today confirmed that Room on the Broom - A Magical Journey will be replacing Hocus Pocus Hall for the 2019 season! Based on the popular book by Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler, guests will start at the enchanted library before walking into the pages of the book. As you help the Witch search for her hat, bow and wand, there will be encounters with Dog, Bird and Frog, along with the Dragon.

https://www.chessington.com/room-on-the-broom/

Danny
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Chessington - The Future

Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:31 pm

Disappointing to see another new addition being an IP, and possibly actor led. When will they learn?

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:37 pm

If the scenes have the same quality or greater than Gruffalo, then this would be nicely done. There's really not much they can do with the space they have in the Burnt Stub Mansion, but a completely torn out and redone walk through attraction I think should be really nice.

DeadJack5
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:02 pm

I never got to experience Hocus Pocus Hall, same as Bubbleworks. But if the attention to detail is as in depth as it is in The Gruffalo, it will certainly make a good attraction. I do agree that I would rather see a new concept as opposed to an IP but if its done well, I can't complain.
I'm the boy with the bubbles

Michelle
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:50 pm

I've the same opinion, The Gruffalo is very well done and was beautiful to experience, it's too easy to cling to nostalgia but the parks do have to move on and if the quality of this is similar to the Gruffalo then it should be a great addition.

ProfBurp
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:54 pm

I loved both Bubbleworks and a HPH, but credit where it’s due, whilst I don’t like the invasion of IP’s constantly at Merlin parks, I have to say that they did a pretty good job of the Gruffalo and therefore if this new attraction is matching then I’m sure it will be good quality. Both are incredibly popular with children at the moment, so there is certainly a massive appeal, fingers crossed for a good addition to the resort.

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin
Topic Author

Re: Room on the Broom - A Magical Journey

Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:29 pm

What a great little attraction! Here's our POV.

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:41 pm

That first room has a far higher quality than I was expecting.

Does look like a nice attraction, hopefully I can go back and visit it once the crowds have died down a little bit. :)

ProfBurp
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:47 pm

Oh wow it looks impressive can’t wait to try this out soon! They’ve done a good job and much better than I was expecting.

abigsmurf
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:06 pm

That's a pretty neat, creative attraction. One of the best non horror walk through attractions I've seen in a while

Just kinda wish they'd either make some of the tasks work without the staff or have proper performers. Kills the atmosphere a bit having an immersive attraction narrated in rhyme and then just having the staff going 'come on guys'

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:49 am

abigsmurf wrote:
Just kinda wish they'd either make some of the tasks work without the staff or have proper performers. Kills the atmosphere a bit having an immersive attraction narrated in rhyme and then just having the staff going 'come on guys'

It was being operated in manual mode yesterday, which is why a staff member was leading groups through the attraction, then triggering the start of each scene. They are hoping to have it working automatically in the next couple of weeks, which should reduce the need for the staff member, although I guess it depends how well it works without having someone stopping guests in the right places and making sure they’re doing the right things along the way.

richard.davies.98871
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:06 pm

Mini review of the attraction.....
Went to Chessington yesterday and experienced a Room on the Broom. The park was not very busy, most queues around 15 mins or walk on in places at times. Only Vampire, Rattlesnake, Dragons Fury had anger queues at times. The queue for Room of the Broom stated 75 mins at most points of the day. Yes, it is a new ride, but the length of the queue in terms of people was not excessive, it’s the throughout of the ride, due to the walk through nature and number of guests in each group it moves extremely slowly.
The queue line area is uninspiring, we queues basically down one path and up the next to the photo shed, could only have been a couple of hundred in front of us and took an hour to do that section (the coffee booth at the end of the first length of queue would have been handy, if the machine had been working - no hit drinks!). Eneventually got to photo shed and asked how much queue beyond it. The attendant said no more than 10-15 minutes. So altogether we waited 75 minutes as advertised. 
Got in, in a group of 15 (there were 7 of us), and we were led round by a member of staff, quite quickly!
Couple of observations....
Speed of queue was painful. 15 people going in every 3-4 minutes part of explanation. Family at a time into the photo booth, which is fine, but the other side the queue was still full, so that isn’t an issue. Fast tracks - maybe too many, slowing up the flow of main queue when it moves slowly anyway? Not sure of solution.
Group of 15 was just about ok. Even so, on a couple of sections you were crammed in to see what was going on the screen etc. The size of the rooms is another issue, larger groups that they tried initially would not work at all. Smaller groups slows the queue.
The attraction itself is really well done. Good mix of effects, interactive sections for the children, very clever overall.
Staff member guiding us round was not in any special uniform or themed gear and seemed in a rush to move us on, which is understandable.

It’s just a shame the queue moves so slowly, my mother in law asked one of the staff what they’ll do in the summer when it is really busy, they didn’t know. Several families gave up and left queue and complained. At the end there were staff doing a survey about the attraction.

In the grand scheme of things a 75 minutes queue on a new attraction is nothing, however, this was a quiet day and I can’t see a solution to the throughput. 

Great attraction once you’re inside, but size of rooms, lack of imagination in the queue line, perhaps too many fast tracks joining queue are issues that I’m not sure that can be solved.

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:39 pm

Sadly there is nothing that can be done to the throughput of this attraction, other than larger groups or being pushed through faster, which would both have significant negative impacts. The site it is in was simply never designed to handle large groups. I suspect at peak times the queue will still max out at around 70-90 minutes, as I can't see families wanting to wait much longer than that and will just skip the attraction. Merging in any fast track and Ride Access Pass riders I suspect will become extremely tricky the busier it gets, with a group size of 15 people any more than about 2-4 people from outside of the main queue-line entering would make the queue feel like it simply isn't moving. I could easily see those queues having a 30+ minute wait, which of course is not how the RAP system is meant to work.

This is why Disney very quickly realised such attractions are best suited to having some form of transport like a boat or Omnimover, as the throughput and experience will be far better than if you let people walk through the attraction.