UK theme parks from another point of view!

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Swarm

Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:46 pm

From what was described, it definitely sounds pretty terminal and not likely to be a quick fix. Very glad it kept anything that broke, contained within the ride system.

Given the noises I heard last week and the description here, it makes me wonder if it was something that should have been identified and serviced before it went pop. Having it closed for preventative maintenance during Fright Nights would not have gone down well from an operations view. But if they tried to get the last couple of weeks out of it, I'm guessing the cost and complexity of repair just went up significantly.

I guess it was lucky that they didn't put a scare zone in Swarm Island this year, they'll just be able to close it off now.

JSMarsden
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:54 pm

Yes as far as I'm aware they had a sign showing The Swarm was closed on the way to Swarm Island and didn't see a single person even looking/walking near it on the full day.

Like you said it was probably a gamble hoping the ride would hold out for just 2 more weeks

PsychOXRat
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:35 am

Just went on TWD, member of staff told me they were fitting a new chain today and that it should be testing tomorrow, possibly opening in the afternoon, also said that the issue wasn't terminal and it wouldn't be shut for the rest of the season. I'm in the park again tomorrow so I'll see if it is testing.

Edit: just seen it test today. Whatever the problem was seems fixed
Last edited by PsychOXRat on Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:45 pm

Forgot to mention, that gears sheering and breaking isn’t really a major problem, can be easily fixed and can literally be done in an hour or so.. well, dependant on the type of gear I guess haha.

And if that’s true about the chain.. must of done a lot more damage than originally thought.. but if true about opening for the weekend, then that’s pretty good going!
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:35 pm

If it's up and testing, then this is good! Perhaps I should have given the park a little more faith to have spare parts in stock. :D

PsychOXRat
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:25 pm

I've only seen it test once today, so it could be either broken again, or the park's too understaffed to run it

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:52 pm

PsychOXRat wrote:
I've only seen it test once today, so it could be either broken again, or the park's too understaffed to run it

It may just need more testing to make sure the part has been fitted correctly
I'm the boy with the bubbles

PsychOXRat
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:37 am

Today Swarm's queue message went from "Closed" to "Come Back Later". Looks like they're going to try and open it today

Edit: it has now opened

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:48 pm

Thorpe's Instagram Story is saying that The Swarm is also getting a new chain.

Given the noises and apparent breakage of it at the end of last season, it's not so surprising.

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:08 am

Winter track inspection, by u/davethefish.

With the wind at the moment, this is not a job I would want to be doing!

Michelle
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:28 am

Ooh nope! Cool picture though.

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:08 pm

It always amazes me how they can walk the track with little to hold them on. It must be an awkward job though, unhooking between each strut!