UK theme parks from another point of view!

Michelle
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Re: Thorpe Park Resort - General Discussion

Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:29 pm

I'd love Summer Lates to return.

Luce
Contributor
Contributor

Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:52 pm

So would I, rides in the dark are always a winner especially if it's a nice summer evening :)

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:46 pm

We seem to have the answer to what the teaser was for:

As posted on SouthParks social media, it’s been confirmed that The Luna Cinema will be coming to Thorpe Park during the May Bank Holiday weekend (25th and 26th), with showings of Back to the Future and Bohemian Rhapsody.

With doors opening at 7pm, there will be the opportunity for guests to enjoy rides on Stealth, Storm in a Teacup, Detonator: Bombs Away, and King Pig’s Wild Hog Dodgems, before the screening begins at 9pm.

General Admission tickets are priced at £27.50, but guests wanting a seat provided will need to purchase a Seated Admission ticket for £35. It seems backrests and blankets are also upcharge, at a price of £15 and £12 respectively.

More details and tickets are available here.

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:51 pm

Sounds pretty awesome, hopefully the weather is good. Seems like it should be a nice relaxed evening event. :)

Michelle
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:53 pm

I really wish I lived closer, if the weather is good this would be brilliant!

Dan says hi
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:58 pm

Thorpe Park have announced that Stealth, Quantum and Wet Wet Wet will all be closed on the annual pass holders day. Obviously it’s not a surprise to see Wet Wet Wet closed but it’s disappointing that Stealth and Quantum are closed especially after Quantum received quite major maintenance last closed season as well which caused it too open late then as well!

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:31 am

Well the park have now confirmed themselves what we already knew. Brilliant marketing line for it:

UK's first Luna Cinema experience at Thorpe Park Resort!

Note, it's not the UK's first Luna Cinema experience, it's the UK's first Luna Cinema experience that happens at Thorpe Park. :roll:

Can't wait to celebrate other genuine and worthwhile mentioning UK firsts at Thorpe Park this year. Such as the UK's first 2019 Thorpe Park Annual Passholder Preview Event, next week.

ProfBurp
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:59 am

So Thorpe announced an offer this morning via social media which looks to be a really good one for those without a MAP or season pass. The offer is in until 31st March, which despite there lack of new offering this season (other than the events) should hopefully help bump the amount of visitors coming through the turnstiles up. If I didn’t have a MAP it would certainly tempt me.
Attachments
81605EBC-7712-4148-B5B4-B61ED841D2D0.jpeg
81605EBC-7712-4148-B5B4-B61ED841D2D0.jpeg (835.42 KiB) Viewed 1197 times
9EDA0D9C-D1C9-47AD-B736-8932E70DDD18.jpeg
9EDA0D9C-D1C9-47AD-B736-8932E70DDD18.jpeg (490.79 KiB) Viewed 1197 times

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:09 pm

@elc_themeparkofficial have shared this image of the 2019 Thorpe Park map on their Instagram.

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:19 pm

It's the clearest and most representative of all the park maps this year. Would appear that the Living Nightmare pin on the online map is just something left over from Fight Nights, as it's not mentioned in this map at all.

The back of it suggests that Walking Dead might be actor-less, which whilst not surprising, is disappointing if true.

DeadJack5
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:30 pm

Having had a closer look, has anyone noticed that Saw:Alive isn't on the map at all?

Last year's map still had the attraction on the map even though it wasn't used until Fright Nights. Even Living Nightmare is on the online app and states it will return in 2019. Could this suggest that Saw:Alive will not be operating this year/ Fright Nights?
I'm the boy with the bubbles

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:30 pm

That is interesting about Saw: Alive. Wonder if that means the maze is being retired? If it is it would be a shame to lose it with how detailed the sets are inside, however at the same time it has been there a long time and is probably due retirement.

The other couple of things I've noticed is that the Sunken Gardens are marked on the map, and over in Old Town the map points out a picnic area. Sunken Gardens I can kind of understand, but the picnic area in Old Town seems a little random to be pointing out.

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:32 pm

That picnic area last year was literally 2 tables. :lol

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:56 pm

Am i the only one thinking that this map makes the park look empty? It looks like its lacking any other rides other than the coasters. It could just be the colours they have used as they seem to merge into the background. 

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:33 pm

As reported on the SouthParks Facebook, the dome has received an awful lot of attention over closed season. Gone is the Atlantis themeing from inside the dome. Above the doors leading from inside the dome to the park, a new giant screen has been put in place. 

(Photo's from SouthParks News)

I'm not going to lie, although it looks a lot more sleek, I am going to miss it. It was a flashback to the old times of the park. I can fully understand why the park decided to update the dome and it does look better. Not sure about that giant screen, but I guess it will be used for advertising things :lol

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:43 pm

The screen is perhaps a little unnecessary, given they already have one, which is brighter too.

We shall see what they have planned for it though. :)

Michelle
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:10 pm

I'm going to miss the dated old look, it reminded me of a seaside resort like Blackpool :lol
I'm looking forward to visiting and seeing the changes myself, hopefully sooner than our event but that may be the first chance I get.

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:42 pm

As posted on SouthParks News, we visited Thorpe Park Resort for their Pre-Season Preview day. With guest numbers limited, the park allowed a small number of Merlin Annual Passholders to visit the park one week early, allowing us to take a sneak-peak at the Resort's 2019 updates.

Along with changes to the Dome mentioned previously, the park appeared tidier overall with a new sponsor for Tidal Wave, new food and beverage options and a surprise addition of roaming actors.

Will you be returning to the Island Like No Other when it re-opens this weekend?

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:14 am

The great weather mixed with it being the first public Saturday of the season, meant the park was extremely busy yesterday. Crowd levels were more like a peak summer day, with around 10 coaches and the car park looking like it had gone into the overflow.

The remarkable thing, Thorpe managed it and rides were running at full capacity with good to very good throughputs, even if the queues were 40-60 minutes across the park. Flashback to last year, when the park only ran at half capacity and then everything broke, and then everyone left disappointed, this year's start was brilliant. Like last weekend, park management were very visible continually wandering around the park. Again, the atmosphere to me felt very positive.

Painting and signage at Tidal Wave and Jungle Escape have now been completed.

It was even busy enough for The Grill in Old Town to be open, however Fins was still on a limited menu.

But one thing that didn't work very well was Coke Freestyle. The machines were running less than half the options, with only sugar free options enabled, and machines regularly running out of things completely. It seemed that this was a temporary issue, along with some other technical issues they were having, but disappointing that they simply didn't have half the stock there in the first place. Really hope the non-sugar free options are enabled as was originally promised, as the current flavours whilst nice at the time of drinking, left a horrible lingering chemical taste for hours afterwards.

AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:54 am

Not sure how that will work given the sugar tax in the UK. At Alton, even with an unlimited cup, Coca-Cola costs an extra charge because of the sugar content. I'd imagine something similar might have to happen in this case, but it would be difficult because they are automated.
Thanks Jack