UK theme parks from another point of view!

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Re: Thorpe Park Resort - General Discussion

Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:31 pm

As reported on SouthParks News, this weekend saw the 2019 Malibu Boats UK Wakeboard Nationals take place at Thorpe Park Resort.

Hosted by LDB Wakeschool, who operate throughout the year providing wakeboarding instruction and experiences inside the Resort, the event provided lively entertainment for spectators whilst being of national importance for the competitors. With music and commentary, the waterside area had a continual crowd of spectators.

This happened on a perfect weekend at the Resort. It was perhaps the busiest day of the season so far, with crowd levels similar to that of peak Fright Nights, with the overflow car park starting to be used around 11am, and it being almost full across the entire length of the car park by the end of the day. The atmosphere from the event, along with music and commentary across a PA, was fantastic and I spent a good couple of hours watching what was going on.

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:56 pm

Guest feedback from the park doesn't make pretty reading tonight. Complaints of long traffic traffic jams getting into the car park, long queues for security, drinks running out (unclear what drinks), then the usual stand still getting out of the car park.

I experienced the long queue to get in last week, and queued for about 40 minutes from the M25 Heathrow side, although that appeared to be a mix of issues with Ascot races until I was the otherside of Staines when it was all Thorpe traffic. This weekend Google Maps suggested it was queued from Staines. Two issues seem to cause this, sheer volume of traffic, but also everyone trying to force themselves into a single lane on entry and poor traffic management / site design. On the positive side though, it does appear a lot more people are visiting the park than last year.

I've managed to avoid the getting out disaster by luck so far this year on some days, especially last weekend when only 2 barriers were operational when I left (cone infront of one, bag over the reader of another) and the car park and overflow were at near capacity.

For all the work done improving other aspects of the park, with the improved operations noticeably reducing queue times last weekend with respect to the number of guests in the park, it's a real shame that access to the site is yet again causing problems. Seemingly nothing has been done to improve this, despite public statements a new parking system would be in place. Only the second weekend of summer, I fear for what is to come.

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:09 pm

As reported by SouthParks News today has seen the first of three Club MTV events take place at Thorpe Park Resort.

Situated in Stealth Plaza, and despite intermittent rain, the event kicked off at 3pm with a set by Majestic, who was joined by the Resort's own Jungle Explorers on the dance floor.

Club MTV continues on 17th August and 7th September.

Anderzon
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:33 pm

Then into the game part of the attraction. The quality of the puzzles impressed me greatly, both in terms of physical construction and their problem design. Immediately it felt like walking into The Crystal Maze, and I'm fairly sure everyone in our group had a similar level of excitement and awe that I had myself. With group sizes of around 5-7, the puzzles are well thought out such that everyone could participate, and in some cases had to participate in order to succeed.

So it's slightly sad that the ending doesn't seem to be quite there at the moment. The issue is entirely on the creative and story telling side, with all actors providing a brilliant performance and the sets still having the high production quality. Whilst it's possible a change will come before the attraction fully opens on Saturday, I'm not overly sure what change could feasibly be made in the time available to solve the problem it has. However, the current ending does not massively detract from the overall experience. My only thoughts after more time thinking about it, were that if the number of rooms you experienced had been doubled, then the experience would have been exceptional and a great ending perhaps easier to devise.

How many times have you been in that Jungle Escape room? Is it still active? The last time we've been in London with my friends, we've visited Escape Room from firm called Komnata, (here they are: https://komnata.co.uk/london/summary/), and maybe I'm still too excited, but I think that it's one of the greatest escape rooms I've ever been. We've discovered a lot of cool puzzles out there.
Last edited by Anderzon on Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:02 pm

Anderzon wrote:
How many times have you been in that Jungle Escape room?

Is it still active?

I've been through Jungle Escape 3 times. Twice as part of a preview, where my posted images came from, and once as a paid for customer (well, Dom paying :) ).

Jungle Escape is currently scheduled to remain open until September 23rd, however if you are thinking of visiting nearer the end of September it may be worth keeping an eye of the Thorpe Park website, as the final day has been brought forward once already.

In an update to my original review, the ending had not changed when I went through after it had been open a couple of weeks. Also, as a group of 3 in my final go, and with no hints to the other two people from myself, we managed to do the puzzles much quicker than any of the groups did during the preview. I'm not entirely sure why or how we managed them so much quicker though.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:27 pm

Swarm Chris wrote:
Anderzon wrote:
How many times have you been in that Jungle Escape room?

Is it still active?

I've been through Jungle Escape 3 times. Twice as part of a preview, where my posted images came from, and once as a paid for customer (well, Dom paying :) ).

Jungle Escape is currently scheduled to remain open until September 23rd, however if you are thinking of visiting nearer the end of September it may be worth keeping an eye of the Thorpe Park website, as the final day has been brought forward once already.

In an update to my original review, the ending had not changed when I went through after it had been open a couple of weeks. Also, as a group of 3 in my final go, and with no hints to the other two people from myself, we managed to do the puzzles much quicker than any of the groups did during the preview. I'm not entirely sure why or how we managed them so much quicker though.

Maybe Amber and I are just really clever :lol
If its closing mid to end of September, does that mean Thorpe Park's now infamous terrible Vulcan Peak (Of disappointment) will be returning? Probably not :lol
Jungle Escape isn't bad. It just needs some fine tuning and a completely new ending. The ending it currently has doesn't work unfortunately. I think once they fine tune it, it could be a great attraction. Thorpe have a habit of getting things only kind of right first time. Normally in its second year is when things get better. So if it returns for 2020, It will be interesting to see if any changes have actually happened. 

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:37 am

Vulcan Peak is definitely not returning! :lol

I do wonder though if Jungle Escape could possibly be used somehow at Fright Nights. The second new fear mentions a challenge. A slight adjustment to make the story line more fearful and add some additional actors, could be an interesting twist.

Dan says hi
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:00 pm

A small ride downtime update:
I’ve seen on another forum earlier that it looks like both Stealth and Quantum will be closed for a considerable amount of time. I think this comes from someone who has info inside the park. Considering the amount of issues Quantum has had this year, the may as well just announce it’s returning in 2020 now!

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:04 pm

The Quantum situation is really peculiar. It was first testing back in May, then opened for barely half a day nearly a month back, and has been closed ever since. I'm not even sure it has been seen testing since then.

It clearly seems like it is meant to be open. It even recently received shiny new area themed bins in its queue line.

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:09 pm

As reported by SouthParks News, Thorpe Park Resort have today updated their published opening times, reducing the number of remaining summer late night openings to 3 nights.

Originally planned to operate between 10am and 8pm every Thursday, Friday and Saturday during the summer, the Resort will now only open late on 3 Saturdays: 17th & 24th August, and finally on 7th September for Club MTV.

Dan says hi
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:17 pm

Been to Thorpe today: I won’t bother giving a full report of the day but I’ll give a few things.
First of all, the park was very very busy today with long queues for everything really.

Pros:
• The Park seemed to be able to easily cope with the crowd it got today with there being no moments where I felt it was overcrowded anywhere.
• The operations on some rides were very good: Special mention to the two guys on Nemesis Inferno this morning literally running along the platform to get the restraints checked.
• BounceZilla does look like a fun addition for the summer and it was consistently busy in that area all day.
• Finally, The Park in general does look very tidy and clean.

Cons:
• The operations on some other rides were absolutely diabolical: Zodiac, Rush and Swarm are the three rides which I found to be operated awfully today. It was taking Zodiac over ten minutes between cycles to load and off load! And Rush was taking almost that amount as well.
• There seemed to be a lot of confusion at the end of the day between both staff and guests about when they closed: The website said 6pm, the app said 8pm, two different members of staff said two different times, and when 6pm came around many people were still trying to join queue lines.
• Finally, the area around Rumba Rapids does really need a paint and a clean as I feel that that is the one section of the park which seems to need work.

Finally: Update on Quantum and Stealth-
• I only wondered over the Stealth twice today and from what I could see and hear there looked to be no obvious work going on so they might possibly be waiting for a part.
• Quantum has scaffolding up over one side (not sure how long that’s been there) and there were lots of engineers working on there today. Doesn’t look anywhere close to opening though!

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:49 pm

Today saw the second Club MTV event at Thorpe Park.

Due to the ongoing closure of Stealth, the Club MTV stage was located next to Tidal Wave, and given the amount of people hanging around the area once the music got going, I’d imagine park management will be kicking themselves for not putting it there in the first place!

Due to it being one of the main routes through the park, with not only people heading to Angry Birds Land and The Jungle, but those heading towards The Dockyard too, it caught the attention of far more passing foot traffic than it did on the day of the first event, so there was a healthy crowd gathering from about 2:30 and everyone seemed to be having a good time. It’ll be interesting to see whether they put the stage back next to Stealth for the third and final event, presuming of course that Stealth is operational by then.

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:12 pm

Quantum has been slightly taken apart again. The front left theming casing has been removed, with scaffolding built up around the arm.

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:42 pm

SouthParks came across some new roaming actors, The Crumblers.

With Baby Monster in tow, these family friendly zombies are suitable for everyone, only striking their special pose for the bravest guests.

Meanwhile, over at Quantum, two men in a cherry picker did things.

The park was really busy today, and it was great to see so many staff smiling and being playful, with guests similarly happy!

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:47 pm

As reported by SouthParks News, Thorpe Park Breaks have updated their website to confirm that Jungle Escape will be returning in 2020.

Created as part of a season of events taking place this year at Thorpe Park, Jungle Escape opened in May this year and challenged guests to take on the Huntsman's games by completing a series of puzzles to obtain element gems and escape the jungle.

Could we see an updated version of the attraction in 2020?

Coaster Chall
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:20 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the investment for 2020! Absolutely embarrassing... But I'm sure that Jungle Escape will be a good event again and hopefully they'll improve whatever needs to be improved.

Dan says hi
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:22 pm

I suppose they could paint Quantum, give it a new name and say it’s new. It’s better than nothing, especially as it’s been closed all season

Coaster Chall
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:54 pm

Yeah definitely. That area by Quantum did need a bit of a redo into a newly themed ride. So it wouldn't be bad but I think Thorpe Park need to win the hearts of some fans again soon, cause renaming a currently SBNO ride is great, but I think that next year is the year they need to do a long term development plan, so we know what to expect.

maxjbutton
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:36 pm

Has anyone else noticed the distinct lack of general advertisement by Merlin for Thorpe Park. Just looking through some emails and noticed that merlin advertised literally every other halloween event (even the London Eye event) but not Fright Nights. Anyone have any thoughts? http://f.news.merlinentertainmentsmail.com/ats/msg.aspx?sg1=8fa7ece7c8bae55c8aace6c5c2ceaad9

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:14 pm

maxjbutton wrote:
Has anyone else noticed the distinct lack of general advertisement by Merlin for Thorpe Park. Just looking through some emails and noticed that merlin advertised literally every other halloween event (even the London Eye event) but not Fright Nights. Anyone have any thoughts? http://f.news.merlinentertainmentsmail.com/ats/msg.aspx?sg1=8fa7ece7c8bae55c8aace6c5c2ceaad9

Oddly, this isn't the first time this has happened this year.