UK theme parks from another point of view!

[Archive]

Re: THORPE PARK 2011

Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:42 am

why don't they put some fishing nets and buoys on the tubing
Theming has to be well designed to look good, you can't just stick items on. Covering that monstrosity with nets and stuff would only make it worse. :P

I don't even think there is enough room for any theming at all. There is just no space for any sort of theme work structure or feature. They cannot theme the actual track without spending lots, which is pointless for such a stupid ride. The queueline will have nothing, it is just a tightly compact cattle pen that goes underneath part of the track - still no room. The only places that really have any hope are possibly the "spashdown" area, the station and the entrance.

But don't expect any theming at all. Even if there was theming, it would just be the polish on a pile of rubbish. :wink:

Rowe

Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:29 pm

I think the vague storyline hillbillies were too busy riding Storm Surge to even remotely care about the theming! Maybe the lack of not-advised theming plays a part there?

:P

DiogoJ42

Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:19 am

...an area known as Monk's Walk, an old footpath that has linked the ruins of nearby Chertsey Abbey to Thorpe Church since AD666. The ride's foundations would have been over 15 metres deep in an area of the park where stone coffins have previously been excavated.

:shock: Err... WHAT? It's an ex gravel pit FFS!

:no: Even Morewonga wouldn't stoop that low. This reeks of Mandyland. #-o

Magrathea
TT Member
TT Member

THORPE PARK 2011

Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:34 am

Ride construction delayed because it was built on the site of an ancient burial ground? I have the strangest Déjà vu...

Adam
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:05 am

What I think people forget is, the only purpose of these kinds of story's is to spread the word. It is free advertisement for the new ride.

That is it's only job. It is nothing to do with the theme, it's simply to get the ride mentioned in the press.

The more absurd the better, just means more papers will pick it up!

That's kinda how marketing works... As long as these stories are making it into the press, they will continue. :wink:
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."

Kaz
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:11 pm

[url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1354393/Thorpe-Park-bosses-Storm-Surge-ride-workers-ghost-headless-monk.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -monk.html[/url]

Rowe

Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:19 pm

Hate to say it but this 'haunting' certainly intrigues me even though I certainly doubt that an old Monk's footpath still exists around Thorpe Park. The quarry must have been around for quite some time though but certainly not much further than the Edwardian era, so there is a possibility there, I guess (Actually when did the area become a gravel pit/quarry? It never says!). It would be useful to see the location of this Monks Walk especially if Thorpe Bleurgh Storm Surge was meant for another area.

I think I may have taken this article a bit too seriously :P

DiogoJ42

Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:33 pm

"Rowe" wrote:

I think you may have mate. :lol:

Of all the parks in the Uk that could claim to be haunted (and don't even get me started on that), Thorpe is at the very bottom of the probability list.

I'm calling BS on this one.

---- Post Info Added ----

OK, a quick google reveals there is indeed a "Monk's Walk" in the area, but it seems to run past the park, not through it.
[url=http://www.egyouth.fsnet.co.uk/romanegham/theroad.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.egyouth.fsnet.co.uk/romanegham/theroad.htm[/url]

Rowe

Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:35 pm

"DiogoJ42""][quote=""Rowe" wrote:

I think you may have mate. :lol:

Of all the parks in the Uk that could claim to be haunted (and don't even get me started on that), Thorpe is at the very bottom of the probability list.[/quote]

Oh no no, I don't believe that Meh Park is haunted. I just want to look further into this 'Monks Walk' alongside Chertsey Abbey and Thorpe Church (if I can find anything on that, because all I can see is St Marys), seeing as this supernatural stuff is more or less an interest of mine.

DiogoJ42

Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:40 pm

Interesting? Yes. A good story? yes. But true? :hano: Pfffff...
(by the way, anyone else notice the Daily Fail are claiming TP moved the ride to avoid ghosts? ](*,) )

Dormiens-Dave

Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:21 pm

Considering the whole site was dug out years ago for gravel they have done well to find the archeology

[Archive]

Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:09 pm

Yeah, Monk's Walk is the path that goes behind the old railway track I think, and you can see the back of Nemesis Inferno, Thorpe Farm remains and parts of Logger's Leap and Rumba Rapids I think. It does exist, people go there to get closed season photos all the time (not very good ones unfortunately, because you can't actually see that much I think).

However, this path is not owned by Thorpe Park, nor does it actually have any relation to haunted abbeys/ghosts and what not.

This has nothing to do with Storm Surge's theme either, obviously. It's just a marketing ploy again.

Brett
TT Member
TT Member

Thorpe's teerrriiibbble marketing ploy...

Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:36 pm

Woke up today to find this was sent to me in an email :P

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=156061901

Now read through this and tell me any part of it that isnt a complete copy of th13teen? :P haha

The fact that they saw orbs and ghosts and have pics of them isnt a good idea.. wheres the pics thorpe? ;)

I was laughing for a good 10 minuets after reading this :P

Brett x
Last edited by Brett on Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stu
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:52 pm

LOL @

[url=http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20110207/tuk-bosses-move-haunted-theme-park-ride-45dbed5.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20110207/tuk ... dbed5.html[/url]

Jordan

THORPE PARK 2011

Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:18 pm

I can accept that they want to get into the papers, but at least could they come up with some decent ideas? This is pathetic and shows they can't even put effort into their marketing. Don't stoop that low, Thorpe.

Although I did find this quite funny... http://www.thespoof.com/news/spoof.cfm?headline=s1i91018

DiogoJ42

Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:13 pm

Ghost train?!?!? And Storm Surge is only 4ft high?!?!?
FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

](*,)

[Archive]

Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:17 pm

That's a spoof news site by the looks of it. They probably deliberately got the facts wrong. Notice how they are taking the mickey out of the whole news story...

Really this whole thing is just putting me off Thorpe Park. I just give up trying to like it. And I used to love it so much.

monsterdan5

Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:18 pm

Complete failure, really not happy with it.

Mitch
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:27 pm

"monsterdan5" wrote:
Complete failure, really not happy with it.

Complete failure in the sense that the story is nonsense, unoriginal and stupid.

Complete success in the sense that it's getting attention, people are talking about it and it's easy advertising. A friend of mine read about it in the paper and said "Oh, didn't know they were getting a new ride, I wouldn't mind going back for it."

As much as we moan about it, all it's doing is bringing in extra customers and making people aware of the new ride and so long as that keeps working, unfortunately we're going to be getting a lot of crap like it.

DiogoJ42

Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:34 pm

It's just another point on the ever growing list of reasons to hate Merlin, if you ask me.