UK theme parks from another point of view!

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Ranger County

Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:56 pm

Miss Hippo's Fungle Safari at THORPE PARK will not be re-opening after the close season, the ride has been removed from the THORPE PARK ride list on the official website and the news was confirmed on Thorpe Park Mania today.

R.I.P Miss Hippo... :(

AstroDan

Re: Miss Hippo's Fungle Safari Closes

Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:57 pm

Even less for those poor, deluded families who somehow end up at the park to do. Well, they have got Flying Fish and Octopus' Garden, I guess.

Odd decision...

Dara
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:39 pm

They also have the Chief Rngers Carousel, Depth Charge, Rocky Express, Loggers Leap, Rumba Rapids, Time Voyagers and Storm In A Teacup (and Neptunes Beach on warm days) So still quite a bit for families really

AstroDan

Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:06 pm

Hardly! That's what, an hour or two's worth of rides!? Thorpe Park have less rides for children than any other park. Fair enough, it's not their position, but I can't see how Miss Hippo's was stalling their current plans...They ought to retain such rides as they at least provide some restbite for families who take children. Seven rides + Octopus Gardens is hardly "quite a bit" for families, in my view.

DiogoJ42

Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:55 pm

"AirRules" wrote:
Miss Hippo's Fungle Safari at THORPE PARK will not be re-opening after the close season

"The Pub Landlord" wrote:
Oh dear, what a pitty, NEVER MIND!

I doubt it will be missed.

Dara
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:40 am

"AstroDan" wrote:
Hardly! That's what, an hour or two's worth of rides!? Thorpe Park have less rides for children than any other park. Fair enough, it's not their position, but I can't see how Miss Hippo's was stalling their current plans...They ought to retain such rides as they at least provide some restbite for families who take children. Seven rides + Octopus Gardens is hardly "quite a bit" for families, in my view.

True but thats if the family groups only intend to ride each ride once. Look at it another way. If "thrill seekers" go during February Thrill Chill, you could say that they only have 7 rides, which is actually a lower number of rides than the family rides i listed in my earlier post.
I can see your point about lack of family rides compared to other parks, and the removal of Miss Hippo's Safari, seems to be for the same reason as the removal of the farm- cost cutting and unnecessary. If another ride was being constucted on the site of Miss Hippo or the farm i'd say it was a worthwhile move, but we've seen no evidence of this so far, so i dare say the site will lie empty for a few years. If the farm was still open however, i would say that Thorpe Park had enough for families to fill a day

AstroDan

Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:03 pm

Absolutely! And it's for these reasons, that the closure of this ride seems a shame. The farm, from what I gathered, was a fantastic way to "escape" the rat run of the main park. That no longer exists. Miss Hippo's site surely isn't going to be re-developed until at least after this season, and when Thorpe really don't have that many rides compared to many parks anyway, closing even smaller rides such as this seems a shame.

Rowe

Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:28 pm

Oooh! I loved that ride!

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:38 pm

May I ask what is Miss Hippo's Jungle Safari? Is it a dark ride?

Joe Koopa
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:45 pm

"CoasterCrazyChris" wrote:

It's an outdoor car-ride attraction with jungle models. So I believe. Anyway, I think this could be a sign of Thorpe Park expanding their market. There's a good enough size for a half-decent family coaster in the space it used. :)

Rob
Team Admin
Team Admin

Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:08 pm

No mention of the ride closing on TPM

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:51 pm

"AirWolf""][quote=""CoasterCrazyChris" wrote:

It's an outdoor car-ride attraction with jungle models. So I believe. Anyway, I think this could be a sign of Thorpe Park expanding their market. There's a good enough size for a half-decent family coaster in the space it used. :) [/quote]

The park would be foolish to add yet another coaster in the next 3 years, even if it is a family one. There are other rides the park need to add, ones which most parks already have (like a Haunted House).

Park expansion, family attractions and dispersing some of the flats from the Lost City area to make room for new developments should be a priority.

Khanage
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:18 pm

Didn't they say they wanted a haunted house ride in the next few years? Maybe this is where they want it? Who knows?
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:17 pm

What area would they put it in though? None of the areas are themed appropriately.

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:33 pm

A haunted/horror attraction could be worked into most of the themes at Thorpe Park. It's all just a matter of imagination and good creativity.

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:45 pm

"spikescot2005" wrote:
No mention of the ride closing on TPM

On the forum, I can't remember which topic now. The news wasn't given it's own topic, I swear it's on there though. :D

Rowe

Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:47 pm

I can imagine some sort of 'abandoned house' ride in most of the areas. it would be a lovely addition.

Michaél
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:48 pm

I can just asume they will retheme that whole area and link it with the saw area. But i don't think they would put something like a dark ride there. I don't think there would be enough room.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:16 pm

Canada Creek is too good an area to retheme, especially to a horror theme based on a film franchise.

Joe Koopa
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:52 pm

Canada Creek is the only place remaining that has the charm that all of THORPE PARK once had, I actually think Saw will add to the charm. If only it was built instead of Colossus. How it would be different. :)