UK theme parks from another point of view!

Benzin
TT Member
TT Member

Re: THORPE PARK: Ranger County

Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:05 pm

"CoasterCrazyChris""][quote=""Benzin" wrote:
Thorpe don't believe in themed areas these days anyways...

You say that, but the 'story' of Storm Surge clearly stated that the ride was in Amity Cove - so they are obviously still using them.[/quote]

You imply that Thorpe theme their rides...

You HAVE seen Storm Surge right?

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:33 pm

"Benzin""][quote=""CoasterCrazyChris""][quote=""Benzin" wrote:
Thorpe don't believe in themed areas these days anyways...

You say that, but the 'story' of Storm Surge clearly stated that the ride was in Amity Cove - so they are obviously still using them.[/quote]

You imply that Thorpe theme their rides...

You HAVE seen Storm Surge right?[/quote]

Oh yes, I have seen it and its god awful.

However, it was still given a story so to speak involving a themed area which was my point.

Also, whilst it may have ruined the view of X No Way Out and destroyed its plaza as well as being an eyesore in the park, when you are actually in Amity Cove the ride seems to fit in well. Probably because from that angle you can't see the mass of ugly supports, but also because it enhances the cove theme because you've got the Tidal Wave lake on one side and the water channel of Storm Surge on the other side, it makes you feel like you are actually in a cove.

Anyway, it really is a mystery to me what Thorpe Park are doing with their themed areas. Firsly, we see them disappear from the maps, then SAW coming along and not really fitting in to any area so the asumption is made that the themed areas are gone, but then this year they build a ride and say it is based around the hillbilies of Amity Cove?! Who knows.

:)

thefatone
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:03 pm

Thorpe Park have openly said on its facebook and when it used to write on Thorpe Park Mania's site that it considers itself as a thrill park - not a theme park.

It zones rides and areas by thrilling and who it targets, rather than the theme nowadays. Hence the whole dying of the areas.

As for the area itself.. Mr Monkey has lost the monkey. He's now only related to the area in name, not theme. It's only the carousel which truely remains for ranger county.

RachaelSwann
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:33 pm

Am I the only one on this forum that has beautiful, precious childhood memories of Ranger County and of Thorpe Park when it was truly a family them park and NOT a thrill park? It saddens me that Thorpe Park have neglected this area so badly and got rid of our dear Rangers. I mean I agree with the fact that the two remaining rides (Chief Ranger's Carousel and Mr Monkey's Banana Boat Ride) are very out of place at the park now, but that is only because Thorpe took the decision to slowly kill off the other rides one by one (all be it a decision that was started with a badly-timed fire, destroying the enchanting Mr Rabbit's Tropical Travels) and now the Rangers, to those that did not know them in the good old days, are just weirdly-placed animals in clothes, with seemingly no real purpose or story.
This was not the case back in the 1990s however- the Thorpe Park Rangers were very very much a part of what was Thorpe Park, they had stories and shows and rides named after them and were involved in commercial advertisement for the park, had an extensive merchandise line (I ALWAYS wanted my own Mr Monkey cuddly toy, but sadly my parents never got me one) and were loved by thousands of children. They were wonderful, and if I remember rightly, Ranger County was actually the first themed area at Thorpe Park. If The park IS planning to get rid of the remaining two rides of Ranger County (which no doubt, in the next 2 or 3 years they will be), then they better give lots of notice beforehand, so I can ride and ride them all day (probably crying my eyes out-you don't know how much Thorpe Park and the Rangers were such a huge part of my childhood) and then hopefully buy one of the models from the carousel- that would be a dream come true to own one of those!
*sigh* I know that the end of Ranger County is nigh, but it makes me sad when people have such little respect for it and for what it once was. I cannot imagine Thorpe putting anything in it's place, it would just be so sad. But I guess times are changing and these things must happen eventually.
Alternatively...Thorpe could resurrect the Thorpe Park Rangers, bring back the show, re-do a few of the old rides, or even create a new one! E.G Miss Frog's scary adventures (come on Thorpe Park, give us a dark ride already!), or Mr Elephant's big wheel. :) Just a suggestion...

Rowe

Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:14 pm

If only the Thorpe Park Rangers were resurrected, Rachael, if only...

:cry:

RachaelSwann
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:47 pm

Well at least somebody agrees with me. :)

DiogoJ42

Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:28 pm

The rangers were great for their time (my favorite was the rabbit), but I can't really see them fitting in with Thorpe's current image :lol: