UK theme parks from another point of view!

formula1fan

Re: Thorpe Park 2015 Coaster

Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:45 pm

I know that some people are hoping for an Intamin Mega-Lite in 2015, but I'm concerned about that. The throughput for the coaster quoted on the documentation is only 820pph. :|
http://data.sphosting.ch/Intamin/Media/ ... oaster.pdf
A custom Mega-Lite, with a longer layout and longer trains, might work. Also, an Intamin Mega Coaster, with capacity between 900-1300pph, could be a better solution, although height might be an issue.

soundwave96

Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:01 pm

It should be a stand up coster because they dont have one yet.

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:06 pm

The fact that each train can only hold 16 people and the lack of a mid-course brake run doesn't help the mega-lite coaster. Longer trains (Walibi World Goliath length) and a custom layout that incorporates a mid-course brake run would be better for Thorpe Park.

I'd like the next coaster to be either orange, yellow, purple or green. Merlin need to be a bit more adventurous with their colour schemes instead of going for dark colours all of the time. :P

soundwave96 wrote:
It should be a stand up coster because they dont have one yet.

No thanks! :lol:

Chaz
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:57 pm

If it was a stand up I'd lose all faith in Merlin

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?p0ekmz
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

[url=http://www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7[/url]

djneice
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:29 am

Maybe a 4D coaster, or would that be too similar to Swarm? Or something like Th13teen, but with inversions and a bigger drop?

I think their next ride will have inversions and be lapbar.

I do agree though that they could do with a family thrill or woodie.
Last edited by djneice on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:51 am

djneice wrote:
4d coaster or would that be so simular to swarm?
something like thirteen, but with inservions? and bigger drop
i think there next ride will have inversions and be lapbar
i do agree though they could do with a family thrill or woodie

A 4D coaster would just be the Swarm with rotating seats, so there'd be no point. As for more inversions, we've established that Thorpe has far too many and could really do with going for an airtime coaster. Something like Th13teen probably wouldn't go down too well at Thorpe but I agree that a woodie would be a good choice.

But even if Merlin don't want to buy a wooden coaster, what's stopping them going for part wood and part steel like some of the GCI and Gravity Group creations...

Or even something from the Rocky Mountain Coaster Company...

I think the wooden supports and metal track would be more suitable as they look much nicer and the ride is as smooth as a steel coaster (and can do more insane drops and twists) but has the unpredictable and chaotic nature of a wooden coaster. Thorpe could potentially go for the steepest wooden coaster in the world if Merlin were in a daring mood! :P

RyanY
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:13 am

I agree BigAl. GCI, Gravity Group and Rocky Mountain all make excellent Hybrid coasters.

And if Merlin did get one at Thorpe then what's t stop them doing a two ride deal and putting one in the valley at Alton. :D

Sazzle

Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:24 am

ryanyoxall wrote:
And if Merlin did get one at Thorpe then what's t stop them doing a two ride deal and putting one in the valley at Alton. :D

Thorpe could have a lot of fun with a woodie, even moreso with a hybrid as has been suggested, but I can't help but think they're a bit of an eye sore!

Oh and as for what's to stop them getting one at Alton... try the small issue of planning permission :P

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:32 am

Sazzle wrote:
Thorpe could have a lot of fun with a woodie, even moreso with a hybrid as has been suggested, but I can't help but think they're a bit of an eye sore!

Although I agree that the steel supported woodies don't look that good, I do like how NTG's track is a complete contrast with it's wooden supports.

Imagine a slightly smaller version that's not as spread out (wooden supports closer together) with some theming and trees around parts of it. In my opinion, I think it would look quite nice.

:)

SwEDEN
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:56 am

[/quote] Image[/quote]

I'm sorry but I hate those supports, they just remind me too much of storm surge's supports, and you know how well they went down with everyone!

Charlee
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:27 pm

The more we keep talking about a woodie the more I want one :D.
I used to think I knew a lot about coasters, but then I joined this forum.

dominoes
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:24 pm

Oooh, a little version of El Torro or Texas Giant would be nice. Although, I wouldn't mind a really well themed family coaster, with an intensity comparible to Big Thunder Mountain.

SwEDEN
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:01 pm

How about something like Evel Knievel at Six Flags St. Louis, only takes up a small footprint, so I guess it would be the kind of thing Thorpe, if they plan to get a woodie, would end up getting.

BananaRoll
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:23 pm

Another thing missing at Thorpe Park is a boomerang. The Intamin Twisted Impulse could make quite a cool 2015 addition, and would be a European first. But I suppose its launch may make it seem too similar to Stealth.
...or they could rehome the Thunder Looper  :D I miss it!

RollercoasterGEEK100
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:14 pm

BananaRoll wrote:
Another thing missing at Thorpe Park is a boomerang. The Intamin Twisted Impulse could make quite a cool 2015 addition, and would be a European first. But I suppose its launch may make it seem too similar to Stealth.
...or they could rehome the Thunder Looper  :D I miss it!
Thunder looper hell no! Also i think Thorpe park wont get a Hyper or mega-lite till the height restriction is lifted. I see more inversions coming.

Credit to NemesisRider

SwEDEN
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:24 pm

Great, because Thorpe don't really have many of those! :roll:
Last edited by SwEDEN on Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adz
Team Admin
Team Admin

Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:43 pm

I'm personally expecting something along the lines of an Intamin Blitz. However the park during a recent behind the scenes tour did say that another multi park deal with B&M was not out of the question. If that ends up happening i'd expect to see a speed/hyper style coaster of some kind.

tomglazed
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:43 pm

When a park adds a ride to their line up, they want it to offer something new. So with the sit down looper, inverted looper, launched, dark, vertical, wing/flyer/floorless (heck, Swarm is just greedy the potential amount of birds that thing has hit with one stone), it would be in my thinking that the only feature which Thorpe are yet to cover in the major thrill coaster market which none of the current coasters fully cover is airtime and length.

Thorpe doesn't have a roller coaster which lasts a considerable amount of time at a higher speed. A way of also making this not boring, yet without having to add pointless inversions all over the place would be to add in some awesome negative and positive G's.

I also recall reading a couple of pages back that the average visitor that goes to Thorpe won't like it because it won't go upside down which I personally disagree with. As long as the ride offers something in the experience which really stands out, then the ride should be a hit. Stealth: people talk about the laugh, Saw: people talk about the drop; a drawn out airtime coaster would have people talking about how it makes you feel like you are going to come out of your seat and how it is worth queuing for because it goes on for a longer period of time.
If only you knew what I knew, then you could see just what I see.

Ritadz
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:50 pm

Anyone who says the GP wouldn't be interested in an airtime coaster has never heard of Pepsi Max Big One.

;)

dominoes
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:04 pm

Am I the only one who would like to see a fairly intense family coaster? Something like Manta. Maybe not launched, but well themed and full of twists and turns, and airtime.
Or even something like Skyrush. Not the winged seats, but just that sort of layout.