UK theme parks from another point of view!

MattCamMans
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Thorpe Park - Next Coaster

Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:36 pm

Lets face it, its highly unlikely that Merlin will make a wooden coaster... Thorpe park is aiming to be a high thrill park, as already said, the family side of the park is soon disappearing. That's not to say wooden coaster aren't thrilling, just not in the same way many steel tracked coasters now are and can be. You could argue that new inverting wooden coaster are pretty insane, but can we ever see on even fitting into the park? I don't think so.

A point I would like to add is the area between the slammer and Nemesis Inferno. They could remove the carousel and other buildings in that area along with possibly the slammer as well seeing as it is on its last legs. This would leave a nice little space for a new themed area with possible some new flat rides or even the space for that mega-lite we have all been after.

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:50 pm

MattCamMans wrote:
Lets face it, its highly unlikely that Merlin will make a wooden coaster... Thorpe park is aiming to be a high thrill park, as already said, the family side of the park is soon disappearing. That's not to say wooden coaster aren't thrilling, just not in the same way many steel tracked coasters now are and can be. You could argue that new inverting wooden coaster are pretty insane, but can we ever see on even fitting into the park? I don't think so.

A point I would like to add is the area between the slammer and Nemesis Inferno. They could remove the carousel and other buildings in that area along with possibly the slammer as well seeing as it is on its last legs. This would leave a nice little space for a new themed area with possible some new flat rides or even the space for that mega-lite we have all been after.

Thorpe are changing their direction, moving away from "the nations thrill capital" and trying to get more families into the park (Angry Birds Land was the first step in this direction)

The family side of the park is certainly not disappearing, if anything it'll be getting bigger over the next few years.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:52 pm

I'm not sure how you can say that the family aspects of the park are being withdrawn, when Thorpe Park have just opened the family-orientated Angry Birds Land a few months ago. Thorpe Park intend to position themselves as the location where guests can experience their 'first thrill' - an obvious step-up from Chessington and Legoland nearby.

We can expect to see some investment into the renovation and possibly addition of some slightly tamer rides in the near future, before the more thrilling next coaster investment. As you've said, the resort could end up getting a woodie if they deem it to be less intimidating than a steel coaster, therefore being a more appropriate fit for their market

awsomelycoolboy
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:31 pm

I feel a lot of park guests are kind of moving away from woodies, don't get me wrong. I love them, but some people may deem them unsafe. Especially with an inversion in it.

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:16 pm

I dont think that anywhere would risk an inverted woodie. There isn't a lot of family based things around Thorpe as you very well know. Merlin changed it into the real "nations thrill capital" when they took a bold step by removing the octopus gardens back in 2012- moving the park away from family and more to thrill seekers. This obviously hasnt paid off for Merlin, so they are moving it back to the more family oriented way it used to be.

However, Merlin will try to keep it balanced, as if it becomes too "kids-y" then the larger rides may become redundant in time due to more families and less thrill seekers coming to the park. To make it more balanced, the next ride is most likely to be a ride which uses all the space it can get, including the height. I believe that the next coaster will be a larger one
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:31 pm

They are being very risky with leaving the next coaster as long 2019. The general rule of theme parks is install a coaster every 3-5 years to get the crowds back. A dark ride in 2016/17 may have the money of a coaster but i doubt it can bring in as many people. To make things worse 2019 is the earliest the coaster can go it could be 2020/21. Unless the dark ride falls through and we see a coaster in 2016/17. The next coaster will probably be a large air machine as that defiantly works as a first thrill.

awsomelycoolboy
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:41 pm

Only time will tell.

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:12 pm

It doesnt if the queues get as big as they will as a first ride.

Alex
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:48 pm

If the dark ride has the IP as predicted it should be a decent draw and it would get good merchandise sales as well

RollercoasterGEEK100
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:46 pm

Where are all these rumors of a dark ride coming from?

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:50 pm

A few words with some rather high up people indicated it and then a few days ago the arena was being measured very accurately. Full on land surveys to map the area so clearly they are planning something which requires high precision there like a building or a flat ride or perhaps both.

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:32 pm

I actually feel that Thorpe is already family friendly. Only 8 rides on site are 1.4m
Under 1m - Thorpe has 10 rides
1m Thorpe has 12 rides
1.1m Thorpe has 15 rides,
1.2m Thorpe has 17 rides,
1.3m Thorpe has 19 rides,
1.4m Thorpe has 27 rides,
Obviously as a cm is added Ive included all previous rides but it shows how each height has more rides available than the last, including 1.3m. Coaster wise Flying Fish and X are both young children friendly so I think maybe the new coaster will be more like 13 (not ride type, but experience - if you get what I mean) with a 1.2m restriction.

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:36 pm

Ride height limits don't really determine how kiddie the ride is. Millennium force is 1.2m as is mean streak. Top Thrill dragster is 1.3m so i don't think there is a direct correlation between ride intensity and hight limit.
They need an airtime machine so they can have a coaster with no inversion which doesn't look amazingly scary off ride.

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:45 pm

It doesn't but when you look at the ones with low restrictions, most don't look particularly scary. For example when you go on the website and set the slider to 1m (something AT should get), only Zodiac out of the 12 looks intimidating and scary, and even then I know loads of young un's who love Enterprises. But I agree about the next coaster not looking amazingly scary off ride, which is what I meant by similar to 13.

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:32 pm

I will be disappointed if its another like Thirteen. Thirteen was a lot of wishful thinking for something not very good.

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:14 am

Im pretty sure thorpe are waiting to renegotiate the restrictions. It would make sense as no new coaster is planned for a while potentially 2019 which is when the MTDP expires. It also gives them time to plan and get the money back from swarm's failure. If you look at it realistically from a non enthusiast pov thorpe dont really need a new coaster just yet, a more family friendly dark ride with a killer IP and then a few years after that a hotel and a coaster.

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:32 pm

The chances of the Crash Pad being removed before its the end of its operational life is slim. Maybe the new hotel will be made in 2020, but I have my doubts that it will come earlier. People keep throwing around "family coaster", but I have my doubts, especoally after Angry Birds Land

RollercoasterGEEK100
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:54 pm

TheBeast wrote:
The chances of the Crash Pad being removed before its the end of its operational life is slim. Maybe the new hotel will be made in 2020, but I have my doubts that it will come earlier. People keep throwing around "family coaster", but I have my doubts, especoally after Angry Birds Land

I agree 100% with you. I can still see the park going for big coasters and incorporating family elements in the park in different ways instead of a family coaster. The park have flying fish and they probably class that as their family coaster.

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:09 am

Absolutely. My sister has only recently become 1.4 meters, so can now get on the larger rides, but before she still had a lot to do there (including Quantum eight tines in one visit- Maybe the Halloween Saw queue wasnt a good idea ;) )

Of course there is also a lot of speculation about a dark ride. Which park do we think its going to, Alton or Thorpe? Personally I think Alton, but I can see that on both forums (this forum and the "SW8" forum) the possibility is being considered. It must be one or the other, surely?

RollercoasterGEEK100
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:35 am

I can see this darkride being in the arena because they'll want to make the Island behind THE SWARM and Stealth another rollercoaster Island with its own theme otherwise the park would have no space for another coaster at the moment if a dark ride were to go there.