UK theme parks from another point of view!

Horras64
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Derren Brown's Ghost Train - New for 2016

Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:41 pm

DiveMaster wrote:
I think there maybe a bit more in the plans, and some of the older construction photos that may be able to help us (this is long and slightly photo heavy - so apologies in advance).

I think some of the theories of this being a scare maze, or that this is part of the attraction are unlikely from the press release and the plans / contruction photos that have been released, and that is more likely we will see an immersive tunnel, possibly with use of VR headsets to add to the effects in and out of the ride vehicle. We know that at the far side of the building (closest to Storm Surge) some form of tunnel has been built, which I think is fairly safe to assume is some kind of immersive tunnel (see below).

If we compare this to the most detailed plan we have of the inside of the attraction - the tunnel is not shown, but within where what appears to be a tunnel has been constructed are two areas on both edges of where the tunnel is, which some people have marked as evacuation platforms. These platforms are roughly the same length as both the maintenance bay and what I am assuming is the suspended train on the plans (see below).

From the wording of the press release I think we can assume there will be two trains in use at any time - "60 seats PER train", rather than 60 seats in EACH train if there were more, and I think this may explain the two potential endings of the attractions. In terms of the 16 possible journeys, I think that may be possible depending on what part of the train you are sitting in - if you picture how the seating on an underground carriage is separated by the entry doors, each seating area would have a different view in the immersive tunnel, with 8 seating areas on each side of the carriage, that would possibly give us 16 variations.

If we are to assume that people do board the suspended train I can only assume that this "carriage" is actually just a themed shell which the ride vehicles are raised into for loading/unloading. This would mean that the ride vehicle is lowered to roughly ground level in order to enter the immersive tunnel, and this does give the potential for the riders to appear to disappear ready for the next batch to board. The other train would then be raised into the suspended carriage to unload. This would also explain why a deep pit was dug in this area during early construction, as this would need significantly stronger foundations than the rest of the building.

I do have further thoughts on why the marketing guinea pigs might have thought the theme was controversial and on the image of the suspended train that has been released, but I will save that for another time..

This to me sounds very optimistic especially with it being raised then lowered. But when I first saw the fact that the train will be suspended 3 meters in the air I wondered why? There'd be more likely to do the lifting and lowering of the carriage. Like done with Th13teen, and suspension at the bottom. But another way which I think is plausible whilst having it seeming suspended, is by the drop method used in Verbolten:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Verbo ... pVJg3FM%3A

Obviously with modifications in terms of size, I think it could be possible, but unfortunately I doubt it. But it would be really cool if that is to be the case.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:07 pm

Personally I'm quite confused where this idea that live actors will be involved has came from?

I'm not saying it's wrong but I assume it's came from the two words "live action", which literally means something will happen in front of your eyes (not necessarily including actors) - live action.

Also although I'm not saying they won't opt for live actors, we've seen how small attractions featuring live actors have faired, do we honestly believe Merlin will fall for it a 3rd time?

DiveMaster
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:12 pm

Horras64 wrote:

This to me sounds very optimistic especially with it being raised then lowered. But when I first saw the fact that the train will be suspended 3 meters in the air I wondered why? There'd be more likely to do the lifting and lowering of the carriage. Like done with Th13teen, and suspension at the bottom. But another way which I think is plausible whilst having it seeming suspended, is by the drop method used in Verbolten:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Verbo ... pVJg3FM%3A

Obviously with modifications in terms of size, I think it could be possible, but unfortunately I doubt it. But it would be really cool if that is to be the case.

Why the Victorian train is suspended three metres in the air has puzzled me too - the only reason for reaching these assumptions is the press release mentioning that it will be entered via bridges, but the tunnel that we have seen constructed is at ground level (or close to). I guess I should be clear - I think in terms of engineering this, I do not think the ride vehicle will be raised and lowered via the chains seen in the press release, but more likely some kind of platform such as those you have suggested and linked to.

I do not understand the internal layout of the building unless this section (the tunnel at the Storm Surge end) is experienced in some kind of ride vehicle, which is why I can only assume the ride vehicle is raised and lowered from the loading area to ground level to experience what has been build on the Storm Surge end of the building.

I had initially thought that chained train was simply a theming object and was a bit of a red herring with loading / unloading occurring at ground level, but with the press release this appears not to be the case. The sheer scale of raising and lowering a 60 seat carriage is huge...

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:54 pm

Both Galactica and GHOST TRAIN have now received attention all over the globe! This article by American tech group Techno Buffalo explains about each attraction and positively reviews both stating that "You may want to book a flight to England this spring."!

This is great news and I hope you worldwide notice continues!

On another note Thorpe Park have recently posted some images on their page from Derrens sketches and among them was this -

There's a lot about fate, destiny and machinary here, are we sure the only hint THE BIG TOP gave was the names of the parrots...

Chukensky
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:43 pm

done a little bit of research and found this, it's not much but it's pretty cool

http://www.stainmore150.co.uk/2011_even ... story.html

Also, looking at the concept image of the train, there's a hole in the roof. Stupid point, but i'd say it's safe to assume this section of the building isn't to contain the dark ride. Also, remember this? Something tells me this might just be a queuing area with the train suspended above. However the plans tell us otherwise idk.

https://gyazo.com/2729109d4ff41e004ca92096e21fab2b

Bottom left image shows light coming through the roof and what seems to look like an elevator, maybe down underground? And the thermal imaging photo? It quite clearly shows people underground.

Also, there's modern day graffiti shown there. So clearly there's a going back in time theme thrown in there. Oh, and on the thermal imaging image, there's a reading in the ground in a circle, and this constant 'island's dark secret' theme makes me just think of going deep into the island and discovering something, and 'the island's landscape is changing' just screams underground ygm

And on the top of that ^ it says fate or destiny. So they're possibly the two outcomes. idk
Last edited by Chukensky on Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:55 pm

Owen wrote:
Both Galactica and GHOST TRAIN have now received attention all over the globe! This article by American tech group Techno Buffalo explains about each attraction and positively reviews both stating that "You may want to book a flight to England this spring."!

This is great news and I hope you worldwide notice continues!

On another note Thorpe Park have recently posted some images on their page from Derrens sketches and among them was this -

There's a lot about fate, destiny and machinary here, are we sure the only hint THE BIG TOP gave was the names of the parrots...

Just seen the quadratic formula in that picture :yikes: oh how I am getting soe e up of seeing that everyday in school :no:
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2057!
Ride count 2020: 284!
Cred count: 117!

dazza4783
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:42 pm

Chukensky wrote:
Also, there's modern day graffiti shown there. So clearly there's a going back in time theme thrown in there.

Why does that signify time travel. It's a disused Victorian warehouse that is still standing today. Most disused buildings have graffiti on them. I know i've never looked at a piece of graffiti and thought "that must have been done by time travellers".

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:53 pm

Hammer & Spark worked with Figment Productions on Time Tower & Talking Aquarium in Sea Life Orlando for Merlin. This company is doing Galactica's sound design so wouldn't surprise me if they are working together for DBGT.

Taken from The Telegraph:

.. involves multiple encounters with a host of terrifying characters, explosions and temperature changes.

We did see a propane tank outside the ride building.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

SkuM001
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:45 am

Some people sound surprised that there could potentially be some complex effects, and "lifting, lowering or moving" of the suspended train.

The budget for this ride is huge, so we always knew there would be some serious hardware in that building, we just didn't know what yet. So why rule out that the suspended train can move in some way? We don't know yet.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:22 am

Andy Mc wrote:
Taken from The Telegraph:

.. involves multiple encounters with a host of terrifying characters, explosions and temperature changes.

We did see a propane tank outside the ride building.

If you're referring to the propane tank shown on the plans, I believe that's for the Bush BBQ.

Speedy_no1
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:12 am

Do we have an opening date yet?

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:52 am

Speedy_no1 wrote:
Do we have an opening date yet?

An exact opening date has not been revealed yet. All we know is spring 2016.

Horras64
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:40 am

I'm starting to agree when you. I had a small theory that it would be a train shell within the hanging one. Which you sit in the inside of like hex. The the inside is the lowered down by something below or above. If it was similar to the way a claw grabs but not in that motion, it would explain the home dug in the ground. This would require some extreme technology though.

simononestop
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:52 am

are we 100% sure this is using VR headsets?
It could it be live action (universal studio style) flames etc, tempereature changes. and all happen around the carriage I just thing VR head sets on every one inside a train carriage would be a bit daft.
surly a full VR screen around the carriage or something? Don't know

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:55 am

simononestop wrote:
are we 100% sure this is using VR headsets?
It could it be live action (universal studio style) flames etc, tempereature changes. and all happen around the carriage I just thing VR head sets on every one inside a train carriage would be a bit daft.
surly a full VR screen around the carriage or something? Don't know

The press release stated that the attraction will utilise the HTC Vive headsets.

Chukensky
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:06 pm

dazza4783 wrote:
Chukensky wrote:
Also, there's modern day graffiti shown there. So clearly there's a going back in time theme thrown in there.

Why does that signify time travel. It's a disused Victorian warehouse that is still standing today. Most disused buildings have graffiti on them. I know i've never looked at a piece of graffiti and thought "that must have been done by time travellers".

I never said it was done by time travellers? I'm saying that during the ride, there will be some going back in time elements, with the Victorian theme and all. Not necessarily time travelling, just a mix of the new and old ygm. It was fairly evident with all the clocks. Not saying there definitely is, but it would be fairly ignorant if we were to ignore the clues.

tcw1993
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:39 pm

Thorpe just uploaded these pictures:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Danny on Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Merge multiple posts
i love sub terra. By the looks of it, the only one.

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:57 pm

From Thorpe's snapchat earlier today:
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2057!
Ride count 2020: 284!
Cred count: 117!

Horras64
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:02 pm

By the way, to let y'all know, if you unlock clue 7 again. It is confirmed that Clue 7 is the last clue, and everyone who's completed these clues have been entered. As I saw some of you discussing over there maybe being more clues.

N3m3s1s
TT Member
TT Member

Derren Brown's Ghost Train - New for 2016

Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:23 pm

I was thinking about the VR today. I'm pretty sure the HTC Vives need a wired power supply, so I'm fairly certain that the headsets are used on the carriage. Visitors board it, put the headsets on, stuff happens, then they get off and move onto the next section of the experience. Inbetween batches, an operator comes along, cleans them and puts them back into place. I also have a feeling that this could be where we encounter the tramp character, especially since a lot of filming was seen of him getting up and close to the camera (which would get people screaming I'm sure). Just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk