UK theme parks from another point of view!

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Derren Brown's Ghost Train - New for 2016

Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:45 pm

I wouldn't expect they'd leave them duct taped and with no colour based on the detail of the rest of the theming :lol

Horras64
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:47 am

Of course they still have to do rust work and other things. Maybe they were waiting for paint to set? I don't know but they most certainly won't leave it like that.

Chukensky
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:32 pm

The trains have been revealed :)

Last edited by Dom on Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Just made the pictures appear :)

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:34 pm

Don't look very Victorian like! They look pretty cool though I must admit
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 1901!
Ride count 2020: 128!
Cred count: 96!

Chukensky
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:41 pm

I was at Thorpe yesterday and I was wandering around the Ghost Train shop and I heard a group of workers talking about the ride. One said that he had just seen a presentation on how the ride works, and that he had to sign something to make sure he wouldn't say anything. The thing that gets me is that he was showed how something was working, we know it has VR elements but there must be something else in there that's gonna just mess with our heads. I might be looking into it too much, but I'm getting pretty pumped :)

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:54 pm

The trains do look very impressive and realistic so we can safely say that Thorpe Park have achieved their goal of thematic immersion here, even without knowledge of the ride experience itself. It is strange that the train carriage looks different to the one shown in the concept imagery( featuring Victorian influences)however, this ride has been shrouded in secrecy; so there's a possibility that the concept imagery was misleading us or that there are several train carriage elements and the Victorian train is already situated in the building. If not the train still looks brilliant so I'm not complaining.From what we know so far, I am in no doubt that this ride will be fantastic but I am also really enjoying the guessing game and exploring the secrets of this ride, on top of actually looking forward to the rides opening. The marketing and hype around this ride has been well designed and managed in my opinion.

Horras64
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:54 pm

Altontowersbarlow wrote:
The trains do look very impressive and realistic so we can safely say that Thorpe Park have achieved their goal of thematic immersion here, even without knowledge of the ride experience itself. It is strange that the train carriage looks different to the one shown in the concept imagery( featuring Victorian influences)however, this ride has been shrouded in secrecy; so there's a possibility that the concept imagery was misleading us or that there are several train carriage elements and the Victorian train is already situated in the building. If not the train still looks brilliant so I'm not complaining.From what we know so far, I am in no doubt that this ride will be fantastic but I am also really enjoying the guessing game and exploring the secrets of this ride, on top of actually looking forward to the rides opening. The marketing and hype around this ride has been well designed and managed in my opinion.

These must be the functional trains (There appears to be 2 there, one exposed, and one inside), as in the preliminary results there was already a hanging train inside the building with the bridges and looks exactly like the concept imagery. I assure these are the trains that'll move in and out of the immersive tunnel, which I believe will contain a live action sequence. Also they did state in the Preliminary results that when you enter the hanging train, it changes into a London Underground style train.

Also I wonder why they've revealed them. Maybe they're going into the building soon. Or maybe it's just to tease us. :twisted:

Anyway they look really cool and I can't wait to ride it. Also as you said, it's cool watching it unveil and trying to get how it will work.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:28 pm

The suspended train is already 'hanging' happily in the warehouse, there are images to prove this, and it has been there for a good month and a half.

Also, am I the only one who thinks these looks like they're damaged or something like that, it would make sense if there was an 'explosion' of some sort,much like what seems to be shown in the concept art.... ;)

Horras64
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:44 pm

That's what i thought too. Especially with them saying grand illusion and live action makes me think that they'll be a live action sequence of an explosion or something like that. I hope that it won't be almost entirely vr and they'll be a physical dark ride type element to it. Which is what I think the supposed immersive tunnel will contain.

Sent from my XT1021 using Tapatalk

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:38 am

I don't see anything to suggest damage on the train, just some black plastic wrap, presumably to protect exposed bits during transport or something. I think a ride that involves an explosion on the Underground would be a reeeeal bad choice..

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:00 am

Just had a closer look at the pictures and I've noticed there is a buffer at the end of the train, like on the front and back of a coaster train. So we could be expecting quite a lot of movement?
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 1901!
Ride count 2020: 128!
Cred count: 96!

Horras64
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:08 am

I thought they started that there wouldn't be much movement. I might be wrong but it's interesting anyway. Also the train looks to be using an electrical system, this might just be for lights, lap bars is VR.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:42 am

I thought the same, however it wouldn't be the worst thing Derren Brown has done would it ;)

I do see some kind of explosion/bad event harping on the train, especially when seeing the images showing an explosion - but that's enough about those!

Arwen
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:24 am

I went to Thorpe park the other day for the first time and Derren Brown's ghost train's building looked amazing! A member of my group thought it was really an old train depot!

The only thing is it looks excellent but it doesn't really fit the area very well. Is there any plans to theme the surrounding area? :)

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:03 am

There used to be plans to have an old tower in the plaza, however I think these have been scrapped - at least for this year. So it's just being left as it is now - although once in the attraction I doubt it'll be as bad :)

Horras64
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:55 am

I do think they could make this a themed area like angry bits land. Maybe put s thrilling flat ride to replace monkey swing? But Thorpe does have quite a few flat rides though already. But I would like it to turn into larger themed area

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:37 pm

I wouldn't mind if "Derren Brown Land" just takes over Angry Birds... :lol
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!

Horras64
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:44 pm

If prefer that in fact. Detenator becomes detenator Derren's drop!

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:27 pm

These have appeared in the Ghost Train covered queue -

Images from cianjs on TPM.

Some of the posters read as follows -

FRACKING AFFECTS EVERYONE

NO WATER NO FUTURE

DON'T FALL FOR IT

LEAVE THE BAD STUFF UNDERGROUND

END OF THE LINE (featuring a gas mask)

Don't fall for it might be hinting at a drop maybe, we do know Intamin are involved! ;)

Now we have environmental issues? What on earth is going on?!
Last edited by Owen on Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Horras64
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:31 pm

Interesting, the whole thing seems to be coming together, I do like how they're leaving little hints, but that very little is confirmed. Also I think the drop could help with my issue from moving train to train out of the "shell" it's pretty clear that we move from each of them, as I highly doubt the experience would be interrupted through getting in and out.