UK theme parks from another point of view!

Max
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Derren Brown's Ghost Train - New for 2016

Tue May 10, 2016 4:41 pm

Just got around to uploading my photos from Saturday and I got one of the sign up close.
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888

Chukensky
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 10, 2016 4:42 pm

On the rules it says "If this is your first time riding Derren Brown's ghost train you have to go first". Does this mean at the front of the row, such as a scare maze? or nah

Morgan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue May 10, 2016 4:49 pm

I have a feeling it's just a publicity stunt

Nathan_Fisher
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 10, 2016 4:55 pm

Thorpe Park posted this on their twitter and facebook page earlier today.

Chukensky
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 10, 2016 5:03 pm

I found this, http://talkradio.co.uk/highlights/i-was-very-shy-and-i-still-am-derren-brown-his-career-and-opening-his-new-ride-thorpe

Listen from 5:40 onwardS. He says he's finished all the final touches, and that was on the 6th. So hopefully it'll be soon :)

Benjisstephens
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 10, 2016 5:54 pm

When Derren starts talking about "Right now is real...", towards the end he says, "...as if that moment were your first... or last."

Could this mean that death will appear as a theme in the ride?

Benjisstephens
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 10, 2016 6:08 pm

Also, about the Rules, some are quite odd.

1 & 2: Fight Club. Duh...

3: A possibility of the group being split up. Either you have the choice or you are forced to split up and this is to make it feel as if you're breaking the rules, or are unsafe. Or more likely is it that we will be moving around in groups.

4: 'Them'. 'Don't touch them'. Weird how non-descriptive this is.
(A) You would expect 'Characters' or 'Actors', but this makes it seem that lots of action will be inside (Actors and the Demon from the videos maybe ;) )
(B) It could be to make it more mysterious / unknown what will happen inside.
(C) Make the rules shorter.

5: Basic Rule

6: Don't lose your head has come up a few times if I remember. Funny how that is also in the Swarm billboard that we got a picture of. (I just realised that the billboard was put up 3 years ago (2013), the same time Derren said he has been working on the ride. There's quite little to go on with this one, but i'll think we'll find out once we're on it.

7 & 8: Add some humor at the end. Like Chukensky said, these seem quite similar to a horror maze's rules. More likely is that it was to get some group mentality up.

But idk, these rules could all be to just get us excited, and not to look into.

Horras64
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 10, 2016 6:17 pm

Benjisstephens wrote:
When Derren starts talking about "Right now is real...", towards the end he says, "...as if that moment were your first... or last."

I haven't listened to the recording you're talking about, but it's what he says in his latest stage show: Miracle. So I doubt it'll have any relation to the Ghost Train.
Last edited by Horras64 on Tue May 10, 2016 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 10, 2016 6:49 pm

Adam.W wrote:
Owen wrote:
"3D print £15 plus 4 digital photos for £12" these examples looked different to me so could this mean the attraction will have 4 to 6 unique photo opportunities (green screamed maybe)?

I'm personally thinking that you get the 3D head, then 4 copies of the same photo. I've seen similar things elsewhere, but where I saw them I cannot remember.

They are different photos, each has a different theme to it - these can be seen inside the shop. :)

Benjisstephens
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 10, 2016 6:56 pm

Horras64 wrote:
Benjisstephens wrote:

I haven't listened to it, but it's what he says in his latest stage show: Miracle. So I doubt it'll have any relation to the Ghost Train.

I didn't know, but that makes more sense! thanks :D

dazza4783
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 10, 2016 7:47 pm

Benjisstephens wrote:
Also, about the Rules, some are quite odd.

4: 'Them'. 'Don't touch them'. Weird how non-descriptive this is.
(A) You would expect 'Characters' or 'Actors', but this makes it seem that lots of action will be inside (Actors and the Demon from the videos maybe ;) )
(B) It could be to make it more mysterious / unknown what will happen inside.
(C) Make the rules shorter.

This rule most likely means either don't touch the actors in there, like scare mazes they won't touch you so don't touch them.
Or it could be to do with some of the characters in the VR segments, obviously they can't touch you, and trying to touch them is gonna shatter the illusion for you.

With regards to the don't lose your head rule, I think there may be a part of the VR when something is going to head straight for you, like it is going to take your head off. Possibly a train, maybe the chains that are holding the train.

iamradam
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, Oxfordland, United Oxdom, Oxfordonia, Planet Ox

Tue May 10, 2016 9:10 pm

Ooh, you don't think that when you see a character go to touch you in VR that an actor will come along and touch you. That would blur the boundaries of what is real and properly mess people up.

Horras64
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 10, 2016 10:21 pm

iamradam wrote:
Ooh, you don't think that when you see a character go to touch you in VR that an actor will come along and touch you. That would blur the boundaries of what is real and properly mess people up.

This is what I hope will happen and have thought so all along.

archie.mm
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 10, 2016 10:42 pm

Horras64 wrote:
iamradam wrote:

Unless it utilizes ties the camera in the Vive, I think this will be impossible. I dont think all 60 people could have and actor and it could never be synced up perfectly.

iamradam
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 10, 2016 10:45 pm

archie.mm wrote:
Horras64 wrote:
iamradam wrote:

Unless it utilizes ties the camera in the Vive, I think this will be impossible. I dont think all 60 people could have and actor and it could never be synced up perfectly.

Yeah this is what I meant. Incorporating AR features of the vive with the VR content. You spend most of the time in VR mode so that you're completely shocked when AR comes into play and actually interacts with you physically. Could create some really memorable moments and truly make it a world-class implementation of VR technology.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue May 10, 2016 10:54 pm

The following quote from the Wareable article could support iamradam's suggestion. This is Simon Reveley talking about the process of creating the VR content...
We also had the train carriage painted green screen and then had the actors that will appear within the ride come in and work within that studio space.

Given that there are 12 journeys, it doesn't have to be the case that everyone experiences something physical during the VR section. If anything, that'll make for an interesting conversation after the ride if you discover your friend didn't feel anything whilst you did...

JonDoesTT
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 11, 2016 12:06 am

iamradam wrote:
Ooh, you don't think that when you see a character go to touch you in VR that an actor will come along and touch you.

But if it says actors won't touch you, this won't happen. Great idea though. I think that what happens in the VR will happen to the suspended train though. Like the train could move and you'd feel like you were moving, and it could stop/crash and it would feel like that too. Like one of those flight simulator things.

Credit to NemesisRider

rolicoli8
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 11, 2016 12:43 am

JonDoesTT wrote:
But if it says actors won't touch you, this won't happen. Great idea though.

It says the actors will touch you, but won't harm you. :)

iamradam
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 11, 2016 8:26 am

JonDoesTT wrote:
iamradam wrote:
Ooh, you don't think that when you see a character go to touch you in VR that an actor will come along and touch you.

But if it says actors won't touch you, this won't happen. Great idea though. I think that what happens in the VR will happen to the suspended train though. Like the train could move and you'd feel like you were moving, and it could stop/crash and it would feel like that too. Like one of those flight simulator things.

On the contrary, I think we should listen to the ride info board outside the attraction, not some tacky looking picture the media team threw together where they reference Fight Club. Image

swooddow
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 11, 2016 11:53 am

Ok so my thoughts on the picture :

It really is just a short little thing the media team put up to keep the interest high about GT. I don't think we should read to much into it. Also the park have commented on some of the comments mentioning the actors touching , saying maybe it's a different type of them . Hinting at it wasn't the actors they where referencing : check it out ...

So I think there is more then we think in there. With the age limits its talking about it being advisory not that they are gunna have bouncers at the gates of he ride [emoji23]

The opening date we will never really know when it is. But I love to speculate , as does everyone on here and I think it's only good fun to speculate e opening date. So I think people need to chill out a tad on shutting others down about this.

I'm sure we will be drip fed and be strung along allot in the next week or two, so be prepared for the enthusiast community to be on meltdown !