UK theme parks from another point of view!

Horras64
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Derren Brown's Ghost Train - New for 2016

Sun May 15, 2016 3:40 pm

Just come back from practice dofe and saw the advert. Wow. I'm impressed, it foreshadows virtual reality and overlaying which might be what the cameras at the front of the headsets are for, in order to conduct motion tracking possibly?

"My Ghost Train" I love this, and it tells you how much Derren has put into this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonny9403
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 15, 2016 4:11 pm

For someone who doesn't know about derren brown the advert makes him look like a character

Horras64
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 15, 2016 4:40 pm

If it's 24 then that's insane, and would make it much more understandable as to the delay. I would be happy with that and would make for even more variety. When it opens it'll be the race to get every combination of experiences!

Also in the advert at 0:20 - 0:22 you can see how the camera shakes in a walking motion. Maybe this is where you will walk and supposedly see a train coming towards you. Remember in the demon scare prank video where there's a tunnel, where the zombie appears from? Maybe this is what will be encountered within there. However, as previously said, it is unlikely that people will be able to walk whilst having the VR headsets on... Intriguing.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 15, 2016 5:09 pm

When I say 24 I say this because there are 12 experiences and 2 endings, equating in 24 unique ride experiences. :)

Horras64
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 15, 2016 5:18 pm

Owen wrote:
When I say 24 I say this because there are 12 experiences and 2 endings, equating in 24 unique ride experiences. :)

Still would be very impressive because both endings would have to make sense in terms of story with the 12 experiences before. As it would need to flow from 1/12 to 1/2 rather that 1/12 to 1 that would be pre-set for that experience if it was 12. Or even 6 'starts' which flow like I said to be endings. Even though I think it's 12 and 2.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 15, 2016 5:44 pm

The advert is one of the best I've seen Merlin do.

Think they should of stopped Derrens speech at the 'My Ghost Train' part however and not have him say 'Derren Browns Ghost Train only at Thorpe Park Resort' that should of been done by someone else or cut imo.

I know its a petty thing but still.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

salamanderman
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 15, 2016 7:47 pm

Andy Mc wrote:
The advert is one of the best I've seen Merlin do.

Think they should of stopped Derrens speech at the 'My Ghost Train' part however and not have him say 'Derren Browns Ghost Train only at Thorpe Park Resort' that should of been done by someone else or cut imo.

I know its a petty thing but still.

Derrens ending monologue sounded dry and bored, but that train scene made me have shivers
Ttsp's resident psychopath and coaster enthusiast

jdoughtyqpr
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 15, 2016 8:20 pm

Very excited for this. Seems a ride with quite a lot of planning. Nice for a lot of hype for something that is not a coaster

KoasterKraver
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 15, 2016 9:15 pm

Owen wrote:

But six may only have ending one. And the other six have ending two. So then there are 12 altogether

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 16, 2016 7:40 am

KoasterKraver wrote:
Owen wrote:

But six may only have ending one. And the other six have ending two. So then there are 12 altogether

However you still have the opportunity of having a 1 in 24 chance of getting a certain experience overall, as if the attraction contains 12 experiences and 2 endings then there is always a 1 in 24 chance you could get any combination of experience and end as there will be 24 combinations in total. :) I don't quite understand what you mean by 6 as there are 60 riders in total so I expect far more than 6 people would get a certain ending at one time?

Moving on - a limited number of the Levitating Train item are now in stock! Only those who registered their interest early on will be contacted about this currently, and then those who are not contacted will be, once more of the item have came in. Those who do receive the email will have a 2 week gap where these items will be held back from general sale and after this period the item will be put up for general sale or offered to others who had registered interest. The item is £50.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon May 16, 2016 8:49 am

I assume it was meant that six of the journeys will always lead to one of the endings, while the other six leads to the other ending. This would effectively half the number of possible combinations (to 12) if this were the case.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 16, 2016 8:56 am

I see, what I am saying is that assuming these groups of 6 were randomised, there would still be the 1 in 24 chance upon entering the attraction - effectively making no difference. :)

KoasterKraver
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 16, 2016 3:22 pm

lewis97 wrote:
I assume it was meant that six of the journeys will always lead to one of the endings, while the other six leads to the other ending. This would effectively half the number of possible combinations (to 12) if this were the case.

That is exactly what I meant but Owens theory might be correct whoknows, I would adore them if they had the patience to do 24 but I think 12 is more reasonable?!

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 16, 2016 3:30 pm

I see the confusion now haha. I am saying that overall the fact the resort have announced 12 experiences and 2 endings means that upon entering the attraction there are 24 possible ways the story could unfold and as we won't know which combination we'll get this would mean a 1 in 24 chance of getting a certain combination of ending and experience. I don't know how it will work although I'm sure it will be fantastic! :)

Horras64
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 16, 2016 3:37 pm

I remember how Derren said in an interview that the ride would be thrilling rather than "in your face scary" much like scare mazes. I much hope it isn't like a scare maze in terms of the scare tactics. Scare mazes seem to be jump scare after jump scare, whilst I hope this is more creepy and eery with action sequences that will be thrilling, rather than scary.

Hopefully I worded that in an understandable way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 16, 2016 3:43 pm

I very much doubt that this attraction would be similar to a scare maze, the scares will be much more psychological and mind bending. Staff have described it as the fear of wondering if something is there or if something isn't there - which personally I find much scarier than someone yelling in my face, which usually I find confusing rather than scary.

xylyx
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 16, 2016 4:29 pm

AR could be utilised very effectively for a menacing type of thrill, you can really mess with minds when you control which part of reality everyone gets to see.

There is a VR game called Alone where you sit in a flat playing an unnerving game on a TV and game system within the VR, and your back to the rest of the room. As you play the horror game on the virtual TV you start to notice things in the corner of your eye, or see shapes behind you reflected in the screen and it truly messes with you. This level of mind manipulation would be perfect.

salamanderman
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 16, 2016 4:51 pm

xylyx wrote:
AR could be utilised very effectively for a menacing type of thrill, you can really mess with minds when you control which part of reality everyone gets to see.

There is a VR game called Alone where you sit in a flat playing an unnerving game on a TV and game system within the VR, and your back to the rest of the room. As you play the horror game on the virtual TV you start to notice things in the corner of your eye, or see shapes behind you reflected in the screen and it truly messes with you. This level of mind manipulation would be perfect.

As being a veteran member of the tboi Reddit arg, something came to mind.
How cool would it be to see adverts on actual trains instead of mindswanteds clues.
You honestly could stash clues and secrets on trains, and just say what line it is
Employ me as merlins head delayerer then [-(
Ttsp's resident psychopath and coaster enthusiast

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 17, 2016 6:51 pm

Short update from Theme Park Incorporated, nothing new to report just thought it'd be nice to have a look see what is happening with the attraction :)

Videos of music and exterior found here and here.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue May 17, 2016 6:54 pm

Curiously, it has been noted that the statistics on Thorpe's DBGT page have been updated to state that the 'seats per train' has been slightly reduced to 58. Unfortunately this means that the numbers don't work out as nicely anymore, so I wonder what the reasoning behind this change is...