UK theme parks from another point of view!

rolicoli8
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Derren Brown's Ghost Train - New for 2016

Mon May 30, 2016 2:12 pm

In terms of an opening date, Derren has a break from shows from the 11th-20th June. This should give them enough time to finish it, and for Derren to see the opening of his ride.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 30, 2016 2:59 pm

Honestly I don't think they'd wait for Derren. At this point it'll just be opening it asap.

If Derren really wanted to be there he could come down and open it before his show - which starts at 7:30 meaning he could get back to Leeds in time. We will just have to wait and see I suppose. :)

Justin
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 30, 2016 6:23 pm

I think THORPE PARK would wait for Derren Brown, especially for promotional activities. I expect a launch night to happen with press and celebrities present and what we have got to remember is that this is their biggest ever investment, so they will want as much exposure as possible. I do agree with rolicoli8 and I believe we will see opening between those dates!

lewis97
Team Admin
Team Admin

Mon May 30, 2016 6:37 pm

While any press events and perhaps an 'official' opening will likely be dictated by Derren's schedule, I expect the attraction will just open as soon as it's ready to.

Justin
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 30, 2016 7:46 pm

Interesting times ahead. I expect some soft openings, but who knows!

One thing is for sure, I am looking forward to getting on board!

JaykeAT
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 30, 2016 9:38 pm

Owen wrote:
Honestly I don't think they'd wait for Derren. At this point it'll just be opening it asap.

If Derren really wanted to be there he could come down and open it before his show - which starts at 7:30 meaning he could get back to Leeds in time. We will just have to wait and see I suppose. :)

I can't see that happening, one train or traffic delay then he has to refund and inconvenience an entire theatre worth of people.

Personally, I'll think they'll open it without him and he'll just come and see it and do a few press photos during his break.

Georgie
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 30, 2016 11:30 pm

A soft opening on the 10th would be a lovely day-early birthday present. At this point, I'd say that sort of timeline sounds the most likely.
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan

daveclarkedaveclarke
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:04 pm

well im going the 15th and 16th would be nice to be open for then :D

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:03 pm

Not getting my hopes up but Theme Park Guide has reported the photo frames are now on display...

JaykeAT
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:50 pm

It could be any day now really, 3 days or 3 weeks. However I still feel it's almost shambolic how long it's taking to finish the ride. A few people on Thorpe Park Mania have talked about how much lower the hype around this ride is now. TP have really shot themselves in the foot with this one, which is a shame because it has the potential to be an amazing attraction.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:58 pm

Although I see what you mean, Thorpe Park would have hardly expected any of this so its a bit of a bold statement to say they have done this to themselves - theme park rides take time and somethings, especially worlds first tech, will need extra unexpected construction time.

These things happen unfortunately, and it's certainly not the worst case scenario - I'm sure I don't need to reel of a bunch of attractions such as most Disney rides and Chiapas in order to back up my point. :)

JaykeAT
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:11 pm

The thing that separates this to Disney attractions is that they don't announce opening dates as far in advance as we tend to in Britain. They've technically announced two different opening (although one was just a ball-park date), so they've had two chances to be 100% sure everything would be ready. Of course delays are unforeseeable and one is excusable and one is forgiveable, but twice begins to make it look silly

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:15 pm

Indeed, although I use Disney as they have announced dates and missed them (Rivers of Light, for example) - Thorpe wouldn't have announced a date they weren't expecting to meet and many people seem to be forgetting this. People should step back and take a look at both sides of the issue as opposed to blindly accusing the resort of being unprepared, lazy and disorganised. :)

Personally I feel like SouthParks and its members have handled it very well - with other forums being quite sour and childish about the whole thing.

archie.mm
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:57 pm

Was on park today and I can confirm the photo frames and photo are are 100% ready. The tarmac and queue are done but the area needs to be tidied up As ive read before I have no idea whats inside and what needs to be done but yeah just reporting really. Also, the photo frames are tiny. About the size of a photo you get in those shopping center photo booths. Tiny. Much smaller than normal.

dannypugh88
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:00 pm

We're down the 10th-12th hoping it's open then or going to have to wait until fright nights :-(

Daniel pugh

Horras64
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:38 pm

Right now it's just a waiting game, I'm down there on the 12th so fingers crossed its open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:39 pm

13th here, thought that would be long enough for it to open. Not so sure now though :P Oh well, I shall ride Ninferno and the Swarm a bajillion times instead.

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:27 pm

Whenever it opens, it's still set to be a fantastic attraction! This is the first major ride I've followed from start to finish in terms of the plans appearing, to the ride opening. In my opinion it looks better than it did on the plans, and I'm personally I would prefer a complete experience than a thrill ride, and it really does look like the best complete package from merlin. It is a shame it is delayed, but if they opened it when it wasn't finished, people would still be complaining, at least we should be getting the full experience from day 1!

Benjisstephens
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:46 pm

I just fell bad for the resort. Merlin as a whole has seen a loss in prospective profits over the last year, and delaying this over half-term (One of the most popular times of the year) will mean they wont get large numbers until the summer. I know they are doing their best, and I can wait, but hype has definitely dropped.

xylyx
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:02 pm

I'll be there for the very first time ever on the 20th of July......I really really hope it's open for then lol. Got lots to try out but I was hoping to top off the day with the ghost train.