UK theme parks from another point of view!

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Derren Brown's Ghost Train - New for 2016

Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:05 am

Much like Lewis had mentioned, I'm sure Derren will be there at some point for an "official opening" however I really doubt Merlin would wait other wise. This weekend would make sense as he has a spare week - so they could open the ride on Saturday and have Derren there for Sunday.

Whatever happens I'm sure it'll open soon so it's just a waiting game from here on out!

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:07 pm

Fingers crossed for this weekend, taking my brother to Thorpe on Monday for the first time so would be awesome. Also won't get to ride it til next year if not.

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:27 pm

Not sure if anyone noticed, but Thorpe Park re-uploaded the Ghost Train Ad on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e959-olHi_c

Notice how at the end it says the ride is "Coming Soon"...
As said by one of the comments, "I can't wait to ride this in 2021" :lol
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!

phildenholm
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:09 pm

Sick of waiting now and have no more planned trips and live over 5 hours away, I could cry :(

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

DanSUFC
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:30 pm

Simon_hope wrote:
Me and a mate was on park yesterday and was speaking to a member of staff. The ride is all done now and illusions are set. All they have to do is training, testing and security checks. We also saw two staff members go around the shop making that all items were stocked and checked off. I was very impressed with the shop. However, I go to Thorpe park in the 1st of July and we were told it should be open by them. Could be all speculation by the staff but thought I'd let yous know what I got told

I would assume that basic training has already taken place, but retraining with newly refined effects and features may be taking place now, to bring staff up to date. I know that it's a world's first of it's kind in any theme park, and Thorpe Park will want to make sure this is right to impress everyone, but for the sake of everyone who has planned trips, they cannot afford anymore delays, so hopefully they're happy with the attraction now after some tweaking and testing/training is the final steps before announcing an opening date.

theparklifekid wrote:
Not sure if anyone noticed, but Thorpe Park re-uploaded the Ghost Train Ad on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e959-olHi_c

Notice how at the end it says the ride is "Coming Soon"...
As said by one of the comments, "I can't wait to ride this in 2021" :lol

Probably nothing really noteworthy (and most likely my geeky side coming out a little here), but having compared the two adverts (they're both still available on YouTube), I'm sure they've enhanced the audio and sound effects in some places on the newly posted one, as well as changing the ride availability to "coming soon".....

Hopefully we won't have to wait too much longer now!

Max
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:03 pm

This isn't 100% confirmed to be real, but still.

Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888

Coasterfellow
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:03 pm

My trips not until the end of august and even im worried that it wont be open by then :(((
^Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the Signature! ;)

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:06 pm

May I ask, where did you get this image from?

Max
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:07 pm

It was a Facebook post in a group by someone who works at Thorpe.
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888

archie.mm
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Hmmmmm, I dont believe it!
Last edited by archie.mm on Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:14 pm

It seems very odd to me, there are multiple things wrong with it - including the fact the staff member would likely be fired or suffer major punishment for sharing such information outright. I'd suggest not to believe anything that Thorpe Park haven't confirmed, as it does seem very odd! ;)

Although fingers crossed..,

dannypugh88
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:25 pm

Plus if it was real it wouldn't say the secret revealed as that was only when the attraction was officially announced

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:29 pm

dannypugh88 wrote:
Plus if it was real it wouldn't say the secret revealed as that was only when the attraction was officially announced

To be honest, Its all a secret. Hardly anyone knows what actually happens inside the big building :lol

But I don't believe it.

dazza4783
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:51 pm

I'll be there on Tuesday so really hoping for a soft opening then. Will be gutted if I miss out by a couple of days.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:23 pm

Apparently a source has admitted to "falsely creating the image".

Back to speculation! :lol

JaykeAT
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:29 pm

Think we should all just take a minute to think about the fact that people actually spend time creating something like that just to fool people. Bit sad :lol

Back to the ride, over a month since the original opening date and we're still no closer to knowing when it will actually open. Can't see it being more than 2 weeks now but the biggest issue with the delayed opening is that people expectation's , particularly in the enthusiast circle, for the ride will be much higher than they were originally. Thorpe have a lot to live up to.

Master_feedback
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:37 pm

I'm guessing on a 1st July opening if the 16th doesn't happen it seams that their is something that really doesn't work they first thought that it would take a few weeks to sort a month on and its still not happening ... I think it points to the VR as the rest of the maze will be using standard magic /theater tricks that have been used around the world for many years

daveclarkedaveclarke
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:55 am

I really do hope it is the 16th would make my 4 and half hour trip down really worth it! But like everyone else its only speculation atm.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:28 am

I'm getting to the point where I no longer care about this. It just feels like its been dragging on. Thorpe Park really need to get it sorted soon as i'm fairly sure other people have started to feel the same way I currently feel which isn't a good thing. It better be bloody amazing otherwise I will be highly annoyed.

lewis97
Team Admin
Team Admin

Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:08 pm

Thorpe are now faced with the issue that if it is at all underwhelming in the state that it opens in, they aren't going to be in a position to defend the ride which people have had to wait several extra weeks for, with 'creative' reasons specifically cited for the delay. While it'll likely be easier to impress the average guest, anything less than what's perceived to be perfect will probably be insufficient for enthusiasts.

This could become one of Merlin's worst return-to-investment attractions with it being on track to open halfway through its debut season and the significant loss of hype surrounding it. Although not impossible, it's going to be very hard for Thorpe to generate the same buzz around the attraction when it finally opens, and if they can't do that then they're not going to see the increase in visitation that they would want. If that is the case, Merlin may also struggle to justify budgets as large as what this is believed to have for future investments.

It's a shame that this could go a similar way to The Swarm, with it not delivering commercially for the park to the extent that they'd have hoped. I want to remain optimistic, but it's hard to deny that this is becoming more of a disaster for Thorpe with each day that passes.