UK theme parks from another point of view!

Horras64
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Derren Brown's Ghost Train - New for 2016

Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:43 am

oblivion wrote:
Exciting review Adz! Really hoping that it's open this Saturday so I can ride it for myself. What is the fastest route from entrance to DBGT? Just in case I need to get there quickly.

Over the bridge crossing amity beach, past KFC etc. I think so anyway. However I believe that it's been opening around 12:00 ish. So unless your getting there at around that time. I doubt that you'll need to get here quickly, when I go on the Sunday, I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Kurtis12
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:31 am

From what I experienced the ride was good at the start then went down hill from the moment you enter the room after the first Vr I really don't think general ride staff should be acting it doesn't work, I feel once the head set comes off it should stay off I think that would make the ride so much better even if the last section was in complete darkness and just sound ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

liam.fearon.52
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:12 am

I experienced the ghost train twice yesterday and have to say that it is a very impressive experience. Because it was the technical rehearsal there are definitely some tweaks that need to happen, but overall it is very good. It does get repetitive after a the first ride, having the scares in the same place, therefore it didn't scare me, however this was to be expected. The last part of VR is in my opinion the weakest and again was very repetitive, using the same scare tactic and would like to see this tweaked before opening as well. I'm not too sure if it was the full experience as from what I got, the story had a lot of loose ties but It maybe that the more that you ride, the more of the story you unravel. Overall I'd give it an 9/10. It is definitely the best attraction at Thorpe now.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:15 am

There are no more planned technical rehearsals for this week according to the resort.
Last edited by Owen on Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jack
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:34 am

This is easily the best attraction Merlin have ever made and my favourite ride. I've ridden it three times, but the third time the whole thing truly came together and was a masterpiece of a ride. :)

Spoiler: show
Why do you want to spoil the ride for yourself? Ride it with unknowing, read nothing more about it. It's better when you don't know what to expect...

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:08 pm

Update - The attraction has now opened despite the resort's social media stating it would not be in operation for the next week.

craig.day.92
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:19 pm

Exciting times! So is it fully open to the public now and in full operational mode?

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:20 pm

craig.day.92 wrote:
Exciting times! So is it fully open to the public now and in full operational mode?

No, Owen was referring to it opening for technical rehearsals again today.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:25 pm

Thanks for clearing that up Lewis :)

These are only technical rehearsals so the attraction is at a slightly lesser capacity than it would be on an average day, and it's not gaurenteed that all aspects will be working 100% - however that's not to say they won't be, meaning you will have a more or less complete experience. On the other hand it's believed that 6 of the 12 scenarios are currently hidden, as well as one of the two endings. :)

craig.day.92
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:41 pm

Ah I see sorry to sound like a newbie lol. So they are still tweaking parts that are not working and need improving as such? Thats pretty cool, How long would you hazard a guess to when it be fully open?

Horras64
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:44 pm

craig.day.92 wrote:
Ah I see sorry to sound like a newbie lol. So they are still tweaking parts that are not working and need improving as such? Thats pretty cool, How long would you hazard a guess to when it be fully open?

I would guess a few weeks. Summer holidays I say. As technical rehearsals are supposed to go on for the next two weeks I've heard.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:49 pm

Honestly we can't say, from what it sounds the experience is working nine times out of ten, but understandably the resort want it working ten times out of ten! It could take a week, it could take months. We just can't hazard an accurate guess right now :lol

oblivion
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:07 pm

What time did it open for technical rehearsals today?

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:34 pm

Between 11:30 and 12 until ride close. :)

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:33 pm

Shawn Sanbrooke delves into the experience a bit more in his latest vlog.

From what Shawn describes as the general story line it follows its quite bizarre and not in a good way. But the experience itself many aren't coming away with anything negative to say there.

And Total Thorpe Park have images from the pre-show room, inside of the carriage & the half way point I'm guessing along with their brief review.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

rolicoli8
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:14 pm

I've got a possible theory about the official opening date. Some quotes from the SP Ghost Train page:
"On Monday 18th January 2016 Thorpe Park Resort and Derren Brown finally revealed the secret they’d been teasing since summer 2015..."
"On April 18th 2016 Thorpe Park Resort and Derren Brown unleashed a terrifying demon on the public..."
"On Saturday 18th June the Resort held the first in a number of limited previews..."
An awful lot of major events have happened on the 18th of the month. Whether this has anything to do with anything, I don't know, however, the 18th is in a few weeks and rumours are suggesting the technical rehearsals are going on for the next few weeks.

COASTERGENICS
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:12 am

Don't read if you have not ridden the ride...
I didn't see any type of track or runners. How does the actual train move?

Also the ride broke yesterday aswell, about 2:30 ish
full credit for signature to NemesisRider!

Horras64
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:51 am

COASTERGENICS wrote:

Oh so it did open yesterday? Despite them saying, "We have no more planned Technical Rehearsals"

COASTERGENICS
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:39 am

Horras64 wrote:
COASTERGENICS wrote:

Oh so it did open yesterday? Despite them saying, "We have no more planned Technical Rehearsals"

Yep, I got off samurai and it was open, it stayed open from about 10:30 to 17:00. But it wasn't on full capacity and it broke at around half 2 and swiftly reopened.
full credit for signature to NemesisRider!

naoisenoo
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:46 am

Quick question, would you guys suggest visiting during the technical rehearsals or waiting until the ride is fully open, whenever that may be?
I've heard from some reviews that people believe the technical rehearsals are showing the full experience but I'm wondering whether I should wait before visiting or not!