UK theme parks from another point of view!

DanSUFC
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Derren Brown's Ghost Train - New for 2016

Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:42 pm

Looks like I'm visiting Thorpe Park next week for the first time since 2010! Been a long while since I've been, been meaning to get a trip in for a while back but kept putting it off due to other commitments, so will be good to be back! Hoping to get in a ride (or maybe two) on DBGT during the day... I know the ride opens a little later than the park does, but does anyone know what time the ride normally opens, and the average queue time for the ride?

Max
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:47 pm

11am usually, hugely packed with school trips at the moment so anywhere between 1-3hours.
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:57 pm

For a Sunday, how are queues?

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:02 pm

Based off of today's queues at Alton Towers, no different to a Saturday in the summer. However, the beginning of the holidays are usually quieter than the rest of the summer, but there will still be crowds :)

timmy1372
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:30 pm

DanSUFC wrote:
Looks like I'm visiting Thorpe Park next week for the first time since 2010! Been a long while since I've been, been meaning to get a trip in for a while back but kept putting it off due to other commitments, so will be good to be back! Hoping to get in a ride (or maybe two) on DBGT during the day... I know the ride opens a little later than the park does, but does anyone know what time the ride normally opens, and the average queue time for the ride?

The Swarm alone is worth a trip since your last one!

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:02 pm

Expect a peak of 2 hours and a minimum of an hour and 10 minutes. I'd recommend getting fastrack on park after seeing if it's necessary based on queue times at the park. Definitely go to Saw and Colossus first! I can't emphasise that enough, then Ghost Train is on the way through so you may get to hop on it early depending on when it opens. THE SWARM is very tempting to run to straight away, but this won't have queues as bad as the other rides later in the day! :D

Also, this website is quite useful for tracking when Ghost Train is open and queue the mess across the resort!

GMan
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:17 pm

I'll add that I arrived at the park an hour after opening last week and managed to get 2 rides on Stealth with only a 10 minute queue each. (although it did break down as I was boarding!)

I still have to finish my full review of the Ghost Train but I will say that while Ghost Train's VR was handled better (lighter headsets, better throughput and better quality of video) I prefer Galactica as a VR experience as the movement of the ride vehicle is stronger, making the effect more impressive so it actually achieves what it sets out to do while the Thorpe ride was brought down by its promise of being terrifying. I tried to be vague so hopefully that doesn't count as spoilers.
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan

craig.day.92
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:21 pm

Looking forward to your full review... Any ides of when that may be :D

GMan
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:47 pm

When I stop procrastinating.. I've now got a Towers trip report to do as well!
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan

DanSUFC
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:46 am

timmy1372 wrote:
DanSUFC wrote:

The Swarm alone is worth a trip since your last one!

Oh definitely! Have wanted to go on that for a number of years since it opened, but I've just not had the chance to do so! :(

NemesisNosh wrote:
11am usually, hugely packed with school trips at the moment so anywhere between 1-3hours.

Thanks - I'm going near the end of the week, so I'm pinning my hopes on the fact that not many schools will organise their end of year trips right on the last couple of days of term! Have purchased a "Full Throttle" fastrack in advance (prior to posting my original post - never brought fastracks before, but considering the potentially large queuing time I didn't want to risk it on the day for some of the rides) so hopefully that helps with reducing the time spent queuing!

Owen wrote:
Expect a peak of 2 hours and a minimum of an hour and 10 minutes.I'd recommend getting fastrack on park after seeing if it's necessary based on queue times at the park. Definitely go to Saw and Colossus first! I can't emphasise that enough, then Ghost Train is on the way through so you may get to hop on it early depending on when it opens.THE SWARM is very tempting to run to straight away, but this won't have queues as bad as the other rides later in the day! :D

Also, this website is quite useful for tracking when Ghost Train is open and queue the mess across the resort!

Advice noted - thank you very much! Based on everyone's posts, I think the plan of action will be to head to Saw/Colossus first, and then pop down to DBGT to try and get an early ride in on it (if it's open/near opening). Then work the way round the rest of the park.... hopefully I'll have enough time to revisit some rides at the end!

Looking forward to experiencing DBGT as well - have followed the hype from quite early on through this forum, and thus far, I've managed to avoid spoilers (not sure how!) so I've no idea what to expect, which I guess makes it all the more exciting!

JoeGibbon
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:51 am

Personally, I would head to the back of the park and do stealth and Nemesis Inferno first. Most of the crowds go to the Swarm or Saw first so if you do this you will only get 1 ride before having to queue. If you go straight to Stealth you will normally get 2 walk on rides and then a 5-10 minute wait for Inferno. As for ghost train, it should open around 11 but has been pushed back to 12 most days. They also normally over-estimate the queue times on it

thorpeparklocal
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:46 am

I did the Ghost train the second time round yesterday and to be honest I was less in impressed the first time I did it.
Spoiler: show
THERE VR needs to be changed in focus eveb though you can do it yourself, and when you get grabbed you know it's human hands. And the heat of that train is hot!!! You'd think the high investment they wouldn't just put aircon throughout the whole ride.

I think what did it for me was two things firstly been kept inside the warehouse for the train to come back ruins the experience and at the end you take your VR headsets off you know the train is still moving into the victorian carriage it kind of ruins the experience. And what happened to the 2nd Ending still waiting to see this.
Last edited by lewis97 on Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added spoiler tag

Horras64
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:29 pm

thorpeparklocal wrote:
I did the Ghost train the second time round yesterday and to be honest I was less in impressed the first time I did it.
THERE VR needs to be changed in focus eveb though you can do it yourself, and when you get grabbed you know it's human hands. And the heat of that train is hot!!! You'd think the high investment they wouldn't just put aircon throughout the whole ride.

I think what did it for me was two things firstly been kept inside the warehouse for the train to come back ruins the experience and at the end you take your VR headsets off you know the train is still moving into the victorian carriage it kind of ruins the experience. And what happened to the 2nd Ending still waiting to see this.

I'm waiting for the second and third (if there is one) ending.

Also, I do believe it is dependent on where you sit as to which of the 12 experiences you get. However think they've done something cheeky.

Unfortunately, I think there are only going to be 6 main characters that sit down and talk to you in the first VR segment. And the that is accompanied by 1 of the six infected people. I noticed on my 4th ride, I got the same character that explains the gas, however an infected child, instead of an infected woman. Anyone else with a similar experience?

Horras64
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:19 pm

Sorry to double post, but here's a diagram I constructed:

This is how I beleive it must work. 3 train service: Image

thorpeparklocal
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:02 pm

very good diagram The physics of this ride asked me the question whilst waiting to go on the ghost train on the warehouse. How come I can't hear machinery surely for something which runs on tracks you'd hear. My sceptic suspicion that the train runs on Cable wire in sync to all three trains hence why we are rushed through it?

Horras64
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:18 pm

thorpeparklocal wrote:
very good diagram The physics of this ride asked me the question whilst waiting to go on the ghost train on the warehouse. How come I can't hear machinery surely for something which runs on tracks you'd hear. My sceptic suspicion that the train runs on Cable wire in sync to all three trains hence why we are rushed through it?

I definitely noticed sound. When waiting to get into the train, after the first group goes in, and your left looking at the train from the walkway. I could hear the motors of the train.

I don't think it works on a cable wire, it stops and starts and moves too violently.
When first leaving the shell in the first VR segment, to the left (from where you view it from the walkway) and moving sideways back into the shell/facade. It definitely moves sideways because the staff made us stand up whilst it was still moving, and we felt a rather large jolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:34 am

This video from the mail online shows some footage from the live action portion and the second VR. Do not watch if you are avoiding spoilers.

thorpeparklocal
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:07 pm

I wish they leak the operations booth so we can see it for real. I mean after all Hex had a Behind the scenes Vid at alton towers and that was supposed to be a secret!

JammyBand
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:23 pm

I got to ride the experience today and overall I think it is really, really good! It was scary enough for it to be exciting, and the quality of the experience I found to be excellent.

What blows my mind is the logistics of the ride, just how does it work?? I honestly thought it was just 1 train moving backwards and forwards but after looking at this it just blows my mind to see the theories of how 3 trains would be going around at once. I don't quite get this yet, can we please try and find out for sure? I need to know!

Horras64
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:24 am

JammyBand wrote:
I got to ride the experience today and overall I think it is really, really good! It was scary enough for it to be exciting, and the quality of the experience I found to be excellent.

What blows my mind is the logistics of the ride, just how does it work?? I honestly thought it was just 1 train moving backwards and forwards but after looking at this it just blows my mind to see the theories of how 3 trains would be going around at once. I don't quite get this yet, can we please try and find out for sure? I need to know!

If your going by my diagram, pay attention all the different movements closely.
And in the live action bit, look at how long the room, is, and how it's at an angle, this gives a lot of room for a switch track as shown. Also I think all the vibrations and noise is to cover up the noise of the switch track which is occurring above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk